Onboard charger: 19.2kw vs 150 kw/400v - which do I need?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I wanted to see if anyone on the forum has any new information related to availability of 400v/150kW charge points to make use of the optional 150kW upgrade. I added the option to my build totally realizing that chances are of Tesla opening this up are not realistic, still no adapter exists to plug into a 400v to get 150kW, and any new 150kW stations that are going up will be 800v but just out of curiosity if I am looking for one as emergency backup (even if it is a 50kW kind) along my route, what I would be looking for in the search on the map.
Tesla opening up is looking a little more realistic now. Apparently the new design leaked already, and it comes with a built-in CCS adapter. Amazing how creative Elon can get when it comes to getting access to billions of dollars. Of course if democrats realize Elon might get some of the money, they may push to change the incentives, just like they are talking about changing the EV $7,500 cashback during the next congress session, because when they originally passed it, no Tesla qualified, but after Elon lowered Tesla prices, some 3/Y qualify, which apparently rubs the democratic party the wrong way (or maybe not them, but the auto workers unions who are major party contributors and who have lobbied hard to have the incentive apply only to car made in unionized factories). So, if it gets Tesla government money, they will install the adapters on supercharger, but if the rules change to exclude them, they will have absolutely no incentive.
Sponsored

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
I understand that when this 400v/150kW option upgrade comes up, somehow it is only relevant or useful when Tesla superchargers open up. I am not an expert on this, but when I see a CargePoint with a CSS at 125kW or EVGo just popped up on the map as a CSS at 100kW, aren't those 400v setups and if so, would this option be helpful (speaking emergency backup purposes) to reach speeds above standard equipment 50kW?

Fall7St8nd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I understand that when this 400v/150kW option upgrade comes up, somehow it is only relevant or useful when Tesla superchargers open up. I am not an expert on this, but when I see a CargePoint with a CSS at 125kW or EVGo just popped up on the map as a CSS at 100kW, aren't those 400v setups and if so, would this option be helpful (speaking emergency backup purposes) to reach speeds above standard equipment 50kW?
I'm no expert as well... but when I was researching whether to get the on-board 150W/400V DC Charger (spoiler: I optioned it), it sounded as if very few DC fast chargers in North America were built on 400V system, with the significant exception being the Tesla supercharger network.

It doesn't seem easy to determine the voltage being used on varying DC charging systems, but as I understand, non-Tesla North American stations (especially newer ones) are likely not using 400V systems; deferring to solutions like 800V for future-proofing considerations.

Either way, I optioned the on-board charger given the cost benefit of this changing dynamic.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
I'm no expert as well... but when I was researching whether to get the on-board 150W/400V DC Charger (spoiler: I optioned it), it sounded as if very few DC fast chargers in North America were built on 400V system, with the significant exception being the Tesla supercharger network.

It doesn't seem easy to determine the voltage being used on varying DC charging systems, but as I understand, non-Tesla North American stations (especially newer ones) are likely not using 400V systems; deferring to solutions like 800V for future-proofing considerations.

Either way, I optioned the on-board charger given the cost benefit of this changing dynamic.
Changing dynamic it is. I just ran into this article published today. This does not mean Elon will comply. Tesla owners and just citizens outraged by the govt overreach in the comments. I just like to have a backup and peace of mind knowing I can charge at a Tesla charger in an emergency.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/tesla-faces-7-5-billion-114110259.html

Last edited:

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The 150 kW DC-DC converter is not such an expensive option. Over here is was £294 which for Porsche option prices is pretty good. It added the versatility of charging at a 400V only DC charger at decently quick speeds comparable to an 1000/800v charger. The 400v only units are less common, but then again Tesla could just open up their entire network here (from the current 15% of sites). So to me at least it made sense.

The 22 kW AC option was far more expensive and as I do have the capability to charge at home and work at that rate on AC (as well as lots of on street points here) it made sense, but was definitely more wallet lightening at £1179

shayman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 4S Cross Tourismo (Est. June)
Country flag
From what I understand, Petro Canada has 400V 350kW DC chargers. And they claim to have Canada's first network of coast-to-coast chargers.

I'm still waiting for my CT4S so I don't have any real-world experience with them.

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
Changing dynamic it is. I just ran into this article published today. This does not mean Elon will comply. Tesla owners and just citizens outraged by the govt overreach in the comments. I just like to have a backup and peace of mind knowing I can charge at a Tesla charger in an emergency.

Is it government overreach? Is it wrong for the government to say "in order to qualify for publicly funded subsidies you must serve the entire public?"

Tesla seems to do just fine in the EU where they are actually mandated to use CCS.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag

Not sure why anyone would call it government overreach. If taxpayers are going to fund something, it seems reasonable that its benefits are accessible to all taxpayers. Our government overreaches and is bribed by lobbyists on many things, this is not one of them. The new so called "EV incentive" on the other hand....

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
NOTE: the case for optioning the 400V/150kW charging option for North American Taycan's is no longer theory.

The Tesla Supercharger network factually have some sites that now support CCS charging (and more in the future)- and your Taycan will be limited to 50 kW max charge rate if you do _NOT_ option this $460 factory option.

this is no longer a debate or a theory.

North American Taycan owners can benefit from this charging option when using some Tesla Supercharging sites.

also to date Porsche has been unwilling to retrofit this option after production (they could change that in the future, but as of now I know of no service mechanism to have this retrofited via your friend Porsche Factory Service center)/.

the option is cheap insurance and is likely to be used in your ownership period.

New York for example has these sites online TODAY and had zero sites on Feb. 1st…

Porsche Taycan Onboard charger:  19.2kw vs 150 kw/400v - which do I need? 7EF1E5CE-ECA4-47D3-B5D8-BC6D342846D0

Last edited:

new2porsche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SQ7, 458, V60 P
Country flag
Any updated thoughts here on this 2ish year old thread on the 19.2 option?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Any updated thoughts here on this 2ish year old thread on the 19.2 option?
I’ve had the option for over 2 years now. I would always tick it for myself. Everyone’s use case it different though. I always say if you don’t have a use or if you don’t have capacity for the larger EVSE at home, then don’t get. If you know why you’re getting it and you have the capacity at home to use it, have at it.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
I’ve had the option for over 2 years now. I would always tick it for myself. Everyone’s use case it different though. I always say if you don’t have a use or if you don’t have capacity for the larger EVSE at home, then don’t get. If you know why you’re getting it and you have the capacity at home to use it, have at it.
For me, I have not felt the need for the 19.2 option at all in over a year of ownership. I’m happily charging at 9 kW at home. But that’s just for my typical usage pattern.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
in my opinion nothing has changed
  • 400V/150 kw - still useful for Tesla Supercharging (w/MagicDock sites) and/or adaptor in the future) - cheap option for limited existing use and future proofing
  • 19.2 kW option -
    • useful _IF_ you're going to have access to 100 amp EVSE commonly (check with your Dr or pharmacist to see if 100 amp EV charging is right for you!)
      • still a very very very expensive home upgrade if you don't already have it
    • not so useful for any public charging as these sorts of chargers are "rare" in the wild, and not on a growth trajectory (this is not the place public charging is growing or getting better)
      • there is no 'trend' for any commercial/public "increase" in 19.2 kW public EVSE's
      • in North America most public AC charging is 40 amps or less (7.68 kW) - even full 50 amp (9.6 kW) EVSE's are very very rare in public/commercial settings
    • But undeniably useful if you have your own 100 amp EVSE (home, work, vacation home) and want to charge your taycan in about 5 hours from empty
    • expensive option if you do not have 100 amp EVSE and hope to install one - consult your local electrician as to if it's even feasible for your home before pulling the trigger on this option.
Sponsored

Last edited: