Driver Control Required message

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
I called 1-800-PORSCHE tody. I specifically, The only seemingly logical choice to talk to is Customer Service. They answer your question by saying "go ask your dealer". I then asked if they have a technical section they can connect me to. "No, we do not" was the response. I love my P-cars, but with the amount of electronics and software in these car, one day they will have to adapt to the market and provide technical assistance. With all the older cars, I understand their current business model, but with a current Taycan and MY22 Panamera on the way, they need to provide a channel for solving software issues and questions.

If I could get a photo of the "illusive" driver assistance warning without wrecking the car, I would send them the photo.
the 1800 number is useless, it is a call center that might be able to dispatch a tow to your location, anything else is beyond their scope of knowledge.
porsche customer care is a black hole where complaints and concerns go to die.
the better dealerships do care about providing good service but their hands are tied due to lack of training, shortage of qualified taycan techs and that anything out of the ordinary has to go through channels back to the mothership. the service departments cannot do any sort of out of the ordinary work without permission from the mothership.
as evidenced by my and others who had issues with the 19.2 kw chargers not charging at EA units, nothing was done by porsche until someone here actually was able to get a tech out to him and was able to replicate the issue. once the issue was identified the fix was fast but it took months of battling with porsche for them to even admit that there was a problem with the chargers.
dealing with the teething issues of the taycan is made worse by the direction porsche has taken regarding customer service.
Sponsored

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
This happened to me when driving a 2021 4S on a long multi-day test drive.

This example had ACC but not InnoDrive.
I used just ACC and I could remove my hands from wheel with no warnings.
I decided to turn on LKA and the icon started showing when I am too close to the lane markers.
Then if I removed my hands off the wheel it would bring up Drive Attention message
I turned of LKA and the message when away.

Turn off LKA while using ACC. That worked for me.

356B

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
9114s
Next time out, i am disabling ALK and LKA to see what happens. WIth them "checked" but all assistance turned off, I still got the Driver Assistance Warning

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
Next time out, i am disabling ALK and LKA to see what happens. WIth them "checked" but all assistance turned off, I still got the Driver Assistance Warning
This is a good point. I remember that even with ACC off as long as you have LKA it will pop up the Driver Attention as to tell the driver this is not a self-steering feature.

356B

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
9114s
I discussed this with the Taycan Tech at my dealer about this, he told me the MY20 uses force feedback on the steering wheel to detect user steering interaction. He said Porsche switched to capacitive detection in the steering wheel that detects the hands at 9 and 3 o'clock position (probably wider than that). He said a customer really had problems who drove with hands on the bottom of the wheel.

Can anyone corroborate this?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I discussed this with the Taycan Tech at my dealer about this, he told me the MY20 uses force feedback on the steering wheel to detect user steering interaction. He said Porsche switched to capacitive detection in the steering wheel that detects the hands at 9 and 3 o'clock position (probably wider than that). He said a customer really had problems who drove with hands on the bottom of the wheel.

Can anyone corroborate this?
Hmm not sure about that. Is it mentioned in the Porsche Good To Know App - don't remember reading that?

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I get this message often, with ACC off and Lane Keep off. And my car doesn’t have Innodrive. It is clearly a sensor problem in the steering wheel.

OP
OP
alinnell

alinnell

First Name
Allison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan/2017 718 Boxster S/2019 Acura RDX
Country flag
I don't think it has much to do with the steering wheel. I have both hands on the steering wheel, ACC and LKA turned off and I still get it--but only on long stretches of straight driving. The only thing that keeps it off for me is to do slight movements right and left from time to time even though it is not necessary to keep me in my lane.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
Had my 2020 in for service today. Not sure what they updated, but it hasn't helped this problem. Got yelled at multiple times on my drive home. I, too, believe it's possibly a steering wheel sensor, or coding which translates the sensor data, that just doesn't like how I hold the wheel while driving.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
I haven't gotten the message in weeks. probably after the recent updates were installed.

kmas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I just bought a preowned 2020 Taycan Turbo and I am getting the "Driver Control Required" warning along with gentle brake application. This is definitely because the car thinks you don't have your hands on the wheel. I have been able to replicate it both by not actually having my hands on the wheel and simply not providing any input with my hands on the wheel. I believe that on my model Taycan it is using a pressure or torque sensor on the steering wheel. I've tried just about every iteration of Driving mode with deactivation of most of the safety assistance options. The only one that seems to work is to completely disable PSM (long press until it says it is off), however, I have to do more testing to really confirm. I have been able to take a video of it happening. What really gets me is that there is no option to disable this. This happens several times a week on my daily commute to work. I have an appointment with the dealer on Aug. 5th. I really hope they can get a solution from Porsche, if not, I hope they can at least disable it. This is really frustrating to me and it is really souring the experience I am having with this car.

Here is the video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/KDkkoirkw3sCDnbv8

After you get that warning, if you continue to not provide input on the steering wheel, it then proceeds to aggressively tug on the seat belt to get your attention. I didn't go further than than for fear that it would slam on the brakes.

Porsche Taycan Driver Control Required message Screenshot_20220721-114253

356B

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
9114s
When I was last in for maintenance, the tech told me that 2020 sensed your hands resisting the wheel movement (torque?) and 2021 and beyond have capacitance sensors in the 10 and 2 positions. So if you drive with your hands at 6 position as a example, it thinks you don't have your hands on the wheel. My 2017 Volvo senses the torque resistance, so you can fool it by using your knee to provide a little resistance to wheel movement.

kmas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Update:
I got the big update on my 2020 Taycan Turbo that brings the infotainment system and range up to the 2023 model year. Huge improvement on the infotainment system and I now have wireless Android Auto. The range does seem better but I need more miles to really know how much of an improvement it is.

This is the update I got on my car:
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/202...ge-software-update-2023-model-year-29112.html

With respect to the the "Driver control required" warning, it still occurs when I am coasting at over 40 MPH for more than 10 seconds on a straight road where I don't have to provide any input on the steering wheel. However, the message has changed. I believe the new message is "Take steering control" or something like that. There is a little bit of good news in that you can deactivate it now if you disable both options in the Basic Assistance screen. Unfortunately, you have to disable it every single time you get in the car as it resets when you shut off the car. You do get a warning when you disable those options that informs you they will be re-enabled then next time you turn on the car.

I was able to replicate the warning to the Porsche service technician but he was unsure if it could be disabled long term. He told me that he would look into it and that if he found a way to disable it he would contact me to bring the car back in.

kmas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
After getting the big update for 2023 on my 2020 Taycan Turbo it looks like the message has changed to "Take over steering".

Porsche Taycan Driver Control Required message PXL_20220822_123226069_exported_10912

And it appears that you can disable it by disabling the "Emergency Stop Function" from the Basic Assist menu. Previously I stated you had to disable both options from Basic Assist but after more testing it seems that you only need to disable the one.

Porsche Taycan Driver Control Required message PXL_20220822_130445774

Before the update that did not work to disable the warning. Previously, I had to completely disable PSM in order to disable the steering wheel warning.

This is the 2023 update I got on my car:
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/202...ge-software-update-2023-model-year-29112.html

Overall, this is a small improvement since you don't have to completely disable PSM anymore. Unfortunately, you have to disable "Emergency Stop Function" every time you get in the car because it resets to being enabled after you turn off the car.