Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
I've had the red "Driver Control Required" warning appear 3 or 4 times. I have ACC but it wasn't engaged at the time and I do not have the Innodrive option. Once it happened when I had one hand on the wheel but the other times I was using both hands. Once it occurred when approaching the yellow lines marking a virtual protective "island" for a left turn lane but I was nowhere near going over the lines.

In general, it seems pretty random. I've tried to reproduce the warning by purposely crossing certain lines on the street but have been unable to do so and I'm not willing to try anything too silly to see if I can make it happen..... "Uh, yes officer, I know I ran into that impact barrel but, in my defense, I was trying to activate the "Driver Control Required" warning in my instrument cluster!"
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The basic lane keep assist will make this warning prompt at 40mph+ - no ACC etc. Not yet disabled it yet to see what happens.

I think this is an "enhancement" post the recent round of WMA updates.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The basic lane keep assist will make this warning prompt at 40mph+ - no ACC etc. Not yet disabled it yet to see what happens.

I think this is an "enhancement" post the recent round of WMA updates.
I confirm that. I have neither ACC nor Innodrive. I only have basic Lane Keep Assist. Today I enabled it for the first time in 7 months and guess what. The "Driver Control Required" warning came up for the first time once I let the steering wheel (on purpose to test LKA) and the car drifted towards the right of the lane. I did the same test with LKA disabled and the warning does not come up.
The warning is definitely a function of LKA but I am not sure if it detects hands on the wheel or the fact that the car is drifting out of the center of the kane.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It will sense both (or one) hand is not on the wheel, will correct steering to keep within the white lines, make a growl should you cross, issue a warning to stay in the middle of the lane, if you indicate to turn or pull out it will temporarily disable the function to complete the manoeuvre and finally sensitivity can be adjusted.

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
I confirm that. I have neither ACC nor Innodrive. I only have basic Lane Keep Assist. Today I enabled it for the first time in 7 months and guess what. The "Driver Control Required" warning came up for the first time once I let the steering wheel (on purpose to test LKA) and the car drifted towards the right of the lane. I did the same test with LKA disabled and the warning does not come up.
The warning is definitely a function of LKA but I am not sure if it detects hands on the wheel or the fact that the car is drifting out of the center of the kane.
This is correct. I have LKA turned off because it freaks out at fan-outs before tollbooths, which I go through every day. I've never gotten this message when Innodrive was off. I have it set with LKA off & Active Lane Keep on so it will still steer on Innodrive.

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
Well after 2 weeks the dealership has determined that this issue is working “as designed” but admitted it was designed terribly. Their solution was to disable passive lane keep assist which I thought the innodrive wand did but evidently not.
So now passive LKA is off but I can still turn on active plus acc and innodrive with the wand.

I’m still pretty shocked that Porsche designed a system, then changed it without informing drivers to brake the car if you drive too long in a straight line. Terrible design.

Last edited:
OP
OP
alinnell

alinnell

First Name
Allison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan/2017 718 Boxster S/2019 Acura RDX
Country flag
Regardless of the active/enabled driver assist features, the driver attention warnings begin after the steering system does not detect sufficient driver input after a time interval. I believe the sequence is this:
1st warning - red steering wheel icon at bottom of instrument cluster
2nd warning - Driver Control Required message
3rd warning - brief application of the brakes ?
4th warning - sustained application of the brakes

I've never gotten to that 3rd warning, but I have seen the 2nd warning. A quick blip of the wheel always suffices for me. But this is annoying.

I wonder if there is a calibration here - some cars may be more sensitive to steering input (thus fewer driver annoyances) and others less so (more driver annoyances and ultimately brake application).
I've experienced all 4 warnings. I was really hoping the recall would have gotten rid of this. It's jarring to have happen. My drive to work is often long and straight and it happens without warning and regardless of having LKA on or not (or ACC for that matter--I don't have Innodrive). The time I hit that 4th warning I was right in front of our dealership and I almost took it right in for them to look at. I was in a 50 mph zone in heavy traffic and it slowed me down at least 20 mph. I was able to signal and move to the right lane but it really threw me for a loop.

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
I've experienced all 4 warnings. I was really hoping the recall would have gotten rid of this. It's jarring to have happen. My drive to work is often long and straight and it happens without warning and regardless of having LKA on or not (or ACC for that matter--I don't have Innodrive). The time I hit that 4th warning I was right in front of our dealership and I almost took it right in for them to look at. I was in a 50 mph zone in heavy traffic and it slowed me down at least 20 mph. I was able to signal and move to the right lane but it really threw me for a loop.
My dealer continues to dodge me on this issue and shift blame. First they said that I was probably driving incorrectly, then turned off Passive Lane Keep Assist, but the problem keeps arising. And its clearly not the 3 steps to getting the user attention, its straight to red warning and braking.

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I had this a few times during my first week of ownership and turned off the two checkbox options under "basic driver assistance". It hasn't happened since.

FWIW, this happens also in my wife's Volvo XC90, but it's significantly more alarming and that can't be turned off. Automation is far from perfect.

OP
OP
alinnell

alinnell

First Name
Allison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This only seems to happen to me when I'm driving down a long, straight street (which I do daily--my commute involves a 3-4 mile long straight route). I am not using ACC or innodrive (although it has occurred when using ACC). What I've been doing lately so it doesn't pop up is to steer a little to the left and right so the car realizes I have my hands on the wheel.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
This only seems to happen to me when I'm driving down a long, straight street (which I do daily--my commute involves a 3-4 mile long straight route). I am not using ACC or innodrive (although it has occurred when using ACC). What I've been doing lately so it doesn't pop up is to steer a little to the left and right so the car realizes I have my hands on the wheel.
I will sometimes get the “Drive in the middle of the lane” message. I just think the car is being a bit judgy on driving style!!

356B

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
9114s
I have seen this warning twice in the last month, with driver assistance disabled from the left stalk/wand (no ACC, LKA, or ALK showing on the dash). Very quick flash of red warning "Driver assistance required" and car slows down momentarily (warning is up for less than a second, hard to see if you aren't looking at the dash). It seems to be random and on straight driving. I once pulled out of the dealer and the car didn't want to accelerate (No red warning symbol).

I have twice sent an email with technical or operational questions to PORSCHE USA and they always thank me for my email and then tell me to ask the dealer my question, even when I tell them MY DEALER CAN'T ANSWER MY QUESTION.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I have seen this warning twice in the last month, with driver assistance disabled from the left stalk/wand (no ACC, LKA, or ALK showing on the dash). Very quick flash of red warning "Driver assistance required" and car slows down momentarily (warning is up for less than a second, hard to see if you aren't looking at the dash). It seems to be random and on straight driving. I once pulled out of the dealer and the car didn't want to accelerate (No red warning symbol).

I have twice sent an email with technical or operational questions to PORSCHE USA and they always thank me for my email and then tell me to ask the dealer my question, even when I tell them MY DEALER CAN'T ANSWER MY QUESTION.
porsche is really dropping the ball on this very well known issue. I filed a complaint with NHTSA and it would be good if more people did file a complaint.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index

OP
OP
alinnell

alinnell

First Name
Allison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

I actually got a recall notice from Porsche that indicated the NTSB thought there was something too restrictive and I had to take the Taycan to the dealer for a software update. I have not had this warning pop up since that update.

356B

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
9114s
I called 1-800-PORSCHE tody. I specifically, The only seemingly logical choice to talk to is Customer Service. They answer your question by saying "go ask your dealer". I then asked if they have a technical section they can connect me to. "No, we do not" was the response. I love my P-cars, but with the amount of electronics and software in these car, one day they will have to adapt to the market and provide technical assistance. With all the older cars, I understand their current business model, but with a current Taycan and MY22 Panamera on the way, they need to provide a channel for solving software issues and questions.

If I could get a photo of the "illusive" driver assistance warning without wrecking the car, I would send them the photo.
Sponsored