Electrical System Error!!

VA_CT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Macan, 2022 4CT
Country flag
I’ve seen this message 3 times total In my 2020 4S (w/ performance plus battery). First two times I was able to lock, come back 30 min later and all was good. Last Sunday afternoon however mine went down for the count in my home garage as I got the message And couldn’t move it. Porsche came Monday (11/14) and picked it up. service center said it’s throwing a lot of codes for high voltage charger/battery malfunctions, but no repair track determined yet. it’s got 30k miles on it, but has generally performed flawlessly for the 2.5 years I’ve owned it.

it’s frustrating because I’ve faithfully gotten all software updates and maintenanc, and have only ever used either my PMCC or Electrify America to charge. The prospect of using a loaner Macan for an extended period of time does not fill me with joy. Hopefully all who have experienced this got it repaired with no further issues.

Will advise in this discussion what happens.
Oh man, sorry to hear. Please keep us posted
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mazikeen

Mazikeen

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 Cayenne, '22 Taycan
Country flag
I took the car today. Similar to yours Tech didnt see anything "active" on my diagnostics. Tech did confirm he saw the error codes but cant do much which to me is mind boggling. I think they should know what each code means and what it translates too. Tech did want to keep the car and try to re create the failure mode but my SA said no. No active codes means nothing to service and wont get a loaner as well as he wants to focus on cars with active issues. The Tech did give me some confidence that the main battery looks good and he is thinking it could be a SW bug. Drove the car for about 50 miles at varying speed and so far everything seems to be working normal. My wife is not keen on taking taycan for road trip etc after this issue. Looks to me a failure to happen in future.
I don't think the tech could re-create it if he wanted to. It happens at odd times. There is no rhyme or reason to it.

I was leary about road trips after it happened, too. I've gotten over that now :)

VA_CT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Macan, 2022 4CT
Country flag
I don't think the tech could re-create it if he wanted to. It happens at odd times. There is no rhyme or reason to it.

I was leary about road trips after it happened, too. I've gotten over that now :)
Hopefully soon i get over my anxiety of getting stalled on highway

Jsteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Update:
After 2 weeks in the shop it was determined that they are going to replace the entire high voltage battery system, which means they are going to have to drop the whole bottom of the car and replace everything.

ETA on parts has not yet been determined, but my SA thinks best case early January. I’m really frustrated and in need of advice on how to proceed, I think I am owed something for the time out of service (8+ weeks?). Any thought on who to contact? I got lost in a phone tree on Thursday.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Update:
After 2 weeks in the shop it was determined that they are going to replace the entire high voltage battery system, which means they are going to have to drop the whole bottom of the car and replace everything.
Here are a couple of reasons to be optimistic about this situation.

First, you'll be upgraded to the latest version of the traction battery, with improved cell chemistry:

Second, Porsche designed the traction battery to be fairly easily replaced. I read that the estimated service time is 4-5 hours, although I can no longer find the source.

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
Just realized posted in the wrong place as not a fast charging issue…. Hope I am not in the shop for a month. Porsche did not call me on any updates yet. Probably not the best time to deal with this before Christmas :-(

Original message below.

I have now also has the red light of doom this morning.

I was charging at home as I have been for nearly two years. Saw the red light this morning and thought the PMCC had crashed. The PMCC was dead. Disconnected car from PMCC and then checked my fuses. The fuse for the PMCC was off.

Then tried the car and had the same message and could only put car in neutral. Waiting 30 min had no effect with it being locked, etc.

Called Porsche Assistance and car has been towed to dealer. The logs show charging started at 0400 and then had an emergency shut down at 0445. As per Porsche the shutdown can be caused by two things:

-the car malfunctioning
-my home power/wiring having a problem

I have the 22kW option and charge at 32A. No problem in two years and I charge at home most of the time.

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
So…. Similar to other posts in this thread I need a replacement. Problem is: when will it arrive? Ordered yesterday and could arrive Monday. Tuesday. Or maybe not at all in the short term due to shortages. The last part was not very reassuring.

I was also advised of what Porsche Assistance covers (in Switzerland at least), which is kind of disappointing:

a) I get a car. Any car that Europcar had available, so I am driving a Skoda station wagon.
b) I only have coverage for 14 days. After that I am on my own as the dealer has warned me. They are completely independent of Porsche Assistance so they will not supply me with a car (nor do they have one)

So the good thing is that I will be travelling during Christmas so will not need the car, but if the part is not available at the beginning of January then I do have a problem and need to rent a car at my expense????

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag
Just went out to my Taycan to plug it in to charge. The red "Electrical system fault" message popped up on the dashboard after I got in the car, but before I'd plugged it in yet. The car has only done 2,900 km (picked it up on 2nd Nov). What with all the reports of heaters failing, and now this, I'm really losing my faith in the reliability of the Taycan. We leave tomorrow evening to set off on a 750 km drive to the UK from Holland, with my wife and two young children. I really can't afford for it to break down and leave us stuck on the side of a Belgian motorway. I didn't shell out six figures to be scared to do long journeys.

I plugged the home charging cable in to see if it would charge ok (it does), so we'll see in the morning what the status is. Even if it's ok again, I really don't fancy getting in it tomorrow night to drive across Europe with my family overnight.

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just went out to my Taycan to plug it in to charge. The red "Electrical system fault" message popped up on the dashboard after I got in the car, but before I'd plugged it in yet. The car has only done 2,900 km (picked it up on 2nd Nov). What with all the reports of heaters failing, and now this, I'm really losing my faith in the reliability of the Taycan. We leave tomorrow evening to set off on a 750 km drive to the UK from Holland, with my wife and two young children. I really can't afford for it to break down and leave us stuck on the side of a Belgian motorway. I didn't shell out six figures to be scared to do long journeys.

I plugged the home charging cable in to see if it would charge ok (it does), so we'll see in the morning what the status is. Even if it's ok again, I really don't fancy getting in it tomorrow night to drive across Europe with my family overnight.

As an update to this, I got up this morning to find the car fully charged, and it started ok with no warning lights. Drove to work with no issues.

Things like this are starting to bother me, especially as I'm driving 750 km with two young children across Europe.

OP
OP
Mazikeen

Mazikeen

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 Cayenne, '22 Taycan
Country flag
As an update to this, I got up this morning to find the car fully charged, and it started ok with no warning lights. Drove to work with no issues.

Things like this are starting to bother me, especially as I'm driving 750 km with two young children across Europe.
I understand your apprehension. I have not had that error reappear. Maybe it was just a fluke.
Good luck on your road trip!!

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag

I have the same feeling. I had the heater problem two weeks ago. Taken care if within a week so solved well but today I am leaving for a trip to the Austrian Alps. It is always in the back of my head what if …

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag

Maybe to reassure you. I have had the red sign while charging. The EVSE was the cause. I did an update of my Wallbox and it was offline for a couple of minutes. This resulted in a red color of the charger in the app. Same happens in Italy when charging with PMC on normal grid.

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I understand your apprehension. I have not had that error reappear. Maybe it was just a fluke.
Good luck on your road trip!!
Maybe to reassure you. I have had the red sign while charging. The EVSE was the cause. I did an update of my Wallbox and it was offline for a couple of minutes. This resulted in a red color of the charger in the app. Same happens in Italy when charging with PMC on normal grid.
Thanks, both of you.

I've done a lot more driving over the Christmas period, and there have been no issues at all with anything. It's been flawless. I now am less apprehensive when starting my car up.

kkl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My car got this error message in red and was already towed to service for a month. The technician told me they had created the job for "REMOVE & REPLACE BATTERY MODULE" (with one of the product codes 9J1915592C) but it's out of stock and expected to be delivered in March/April...
What happened was my car charged 100% and was left in the garage. 4 days after, the battery dropped to 30% then I did a few km of driving then started to charge it again. Then it stopped charging at 60% with a red battery sign inside the car and the error message poped-up.

alipiyarali

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
After replying on different threads about not having any problems with my car - Wham, I get hit with "Electrical System Error. Service necessary".

Story: I drove to my cousin's house in Mississippi one weekend. On the way back hame, I was charging at an EA station in Douglasville, GA when that error message popped up and the car shut down. I was calm at first. I totally shut the car down and restarted it. Message still there and it would only go into neutral. Now I'm starting to freak out. Freaking out because 1) I'm 142 miles from home; 2) it's 1 am and I'm in some strip mall parking lot with no security around; and 3) I'm by myself (although I did have a little friend with me). After restarting the car and no change, I called roadside assistance. They dispatched a tow truck but with COVID restrictions, I am not allowed to ride in the truck. Where am I supposed to go/do at 1 am and 140 miles from anyone I know? More freaking out!!!

I get a text from the tow company - ETA 120 - 240 minutes!! Panic turns to outrage at this point. Since there is nothing I can do and the car is dead, I decided to search the forum to see what others may have posted. Of course there were many threads. Temp fixes all pointed to shutting the car down, locking it, and letting it sit for 20 to 30 minutes. I waited about 45 minutes, restarted the car and fault was gone!!! I cancelled the tow and made my way home - driving conservatively!

Many thanks to this forum and the numerous posters out there!

Moral of the story: Keep posting no matter how big or small you think your problem is/was. You might help out a fellow motorist!!
20220131_005646.jpg
I had exactly the same problem with less than 500 miles on my car. The similarity is uncanny. My car was in for repairs for two weeks. Porsche had to replace the e-box which took about 2 weeks to get done. I am not sure if it is a sporadic problem or requires major intervention (mine did). I lodged a complaint with Porsche and got the CYA emails etc. This is a big problem, I am just glad that it happened in the city and I had a recourse, somewhat hesitant to drive long distances.