branjk

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2020
Country flag
i have been watching this website for awhile. i bought a 2020 tacyan 4S and drove it for 2 months. Loved the car but like many i have had issues.
2 main ones.
-motor (forward movement) failure twice. both times at low speed and no accidents. I was able to turn off the car and w/ several attempts able to restart and drove away without issue.
-EA charging problems. My home unit no problems, none. Every time i take it to EA (Local and once away) it times out after 5 min on 350 Kw unit. I have spoken w/ EA service, no errors come up other than the charging stopped.

So finally i took it in to my local Porsche dealership, 9 days later they gave me the terrible news, high voltage battery issues. It needs replacement of the entire high voltage battery. Service coordinator stated that it needs to come from Germany and then installation by the dealership. They were unsure how long it would take to order and ship here. After i regained consciousness (haha) i asked how many have they done, one. I guess its better than none.
The more i have thought about it, I am thinking of having Porsche keep the car and exchange it for another. The repair sounds way to extensive for me to feel comfortable that this car is back to original spec. Never mind that having a dealership do something that sounds extremely difficult.

Wondering if there any thoughts or anyone heard of something similar
Sponsored

mikeva

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Base
Country flag
probably a lot of work to. install but also probably a little 'plug and play' ish. I would doubt that they are going to be splicing wires.

Good luck and hopefully everything will turn out ok

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
If the shipment and replacement take too long you can lemon the car and ask for a replacement. Lemon law usually kicks in at 30 days in most states.

OP
OP

branjk

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2020
Country flag
If the shipment and replacement take too long you can lemon the car and ask for a replacement. Lemon law usually kicks in at 30 days in most states.
i saw that option, i will check further but i think in florida it is 15 days

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag

OP
OP

branjk

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2020
Country flag
Our Taycan 4S died on the freeway in May and I was fortunately able to exit safely.

The dealer has allegedly fixed the software issue, but we asked Porsche North America for a buyback, which they declined today.
I’m curious if anyone on this forum is aware of any buybacks due to this issue, or even any requested buybacks.
sorry to hear about your situation. I have been in contact w/ Porsche NA, waiting for their return call. Although i have similar issues w/ battery dying on me, apparently my situation requires the battery to be replaced. This is done under warranty, but regarding the time table, god only knows. As they have to ship it from Germany and then do the install. My concern is these batteries are not meant to be replaceable, so by doing the exchange how does that affect the car? Let alone the value of the car.
I will keep this post updated w/ situation as it unfolds, hopefully to let others know of the problem and options 'we' may or may not have to us

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
sorry to hear about your situation. I have been in contact w/ Porsche NA, waiting for their return call. Although i have similar issues w/ battery dying on me, apparently my situation requires the battery to be replaced. This is done under warranty, but regarding the time table, god only knows. As they have to ship it from Germany and then do the install. My concern is these batteries are not meant to be replaceable, so by doing the exchange how does that affect the car? Let alone the value of the car.
I will keep this post updated w/ situation as it unfolds, hopefully to let others know of the problem and options 'we' may or may not have to us
Why would the (entire) battery pack not meant to be replaceable? A totally new battery pack could only improve the overall longevity of the car and therefore its value, IMHO?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
talked with local porsche service - swapping battery was easier than they thought it was - big job mostly because of weight of the battery - but honestly not a big deal - battery is designed to be serviced and dropped

installing a new battery to me is less concerning to me than a transmission swap (something done on my wife's new 2011 BMW 335is).

I see this as unfortunate and frustrating - but it's a modular component that is simply being swapped for a new unit with a full warranty - a battery swap concerns more far less than most any ICE component or even some component swaps on the Taycan (AC compressor perhaps)

it sucks - it does - no question - but honestly this is what warranties are for and a full battery swap would not concern me - you swapping a faulty component for a fully new fully modular component that was designed to have this done.

seriously the local shop manager at my local Porsche dealer was amazed how easy it was - and the only issue was the whole dealing with the "weight" thing - the actual battery swap was no big deal in his assessment - easy, straight forward and not a super long time - there are only few connections to disconnect and reconnect - far easier than say a transmission swap.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The infamous engine oil leak from the timing valve cover that many 2015-2018 Macans 3.0 develop requires them to drop the engine (and disconnect from transmission) to access two bolts. I have been there and have done that.
The battery replacement should be a much easier task. I wouldn't be too worried about it other than the lengthy wait to receive the new battery.

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
The infamous engine oil leak from the timing valve cover that many 2015-2018 Macans 3.0 develop requires them to drop the engine (and disconnect from transmission) to access two bolts. I have been there and have done that.
The battery replacement should be a much easier task. I wouldn't be too worried about it other than the lengthy wait to receive the new battery.
Been there done that. Engine was out of my Macan GTS 3 times! Hence why I no longer own it... a new battery, or even drive motor would not concern me in the same way with my Taycan.

OP
OP

branjk

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2020
Country flag
Appreciate the input. I understand about the modularity of batteries and likely is a straight forward swap. My concern is getting to the battery and disassembly and reassembly. Also with this being a 2 month old purchase this vehicle will not be new even after the fix.
At this point porsche NA is involved and started process so I will see where this leads

TomP

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Carerra 4 GTS, GT4RS
Country flag
I came across a Porsche Service Bulletin on MY20 high-voltage batteries. Apparently MY21 and newer vehicles have HV batteries with a modified cell chemistry. I was not aware there was a difference in MY20 vs MY21 HV batteries.

New high-voltage batteries with a modified cell chemistry are used on Taycan vehicles from
model year M(2021) onwards. From now on, model year L (2020) vehicles will also be installed
with the new high-voltage batteries with modified cell chemistry if the high-voltage battery
needs to be replaced

Assuming Porsche is providing you a new MY21 HV Battery including labor under warranty, I would not hesitate or be concerned.

Attachments

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Ok, after the mysterious rear tire sidewall failure, I now have what appears to be a main battery failure. 3 yrs and 30K miles, and after getting the car back from the dealer (with only 80 miles of range), I went to the high power charging station (150kW) and it wouldn't go above 90kW from 12-40%. Strange I thought. Then I charged the car as I normally do - 85% charge at 36 amps, and got only 170 miles indicated range. Just before I brought the car in, I had 236 miles indicated with 85% charge. I contacted my dealer, and brought the car in today. It would only charge to 82% (160 miles range).

I have to say that for the most part, my dealership and SA's have been as good as I could possibly expect. I'm waiting to see if this is a 'software problem', but I'm preparing for the worst. According to the SA, the replacement cost for just the battery part, not including labor, is $73,000. Yes, my jaw almost disconnected there, but everything will be covered under warranty. I was also told that the new batteries are difficult to get, and one customer has their 2020 Turbo S sitting 'out back' for 4 months now. That of course would not be acceptable. I'll keep everyone posted.
Sponsored