haesoph

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Tesla Model X
Country flag
Does anyone know if you will still have to use the Charging NA app to start your "free" charge even though Electrify America's plug and charge service is/will be a thing? Coming from a Telsa with free supercharging I have to say just plugging the car in at EA stations and getting my free charge would be ideal.
Sponsored

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Depends on whether you are asking SHOULD you be able to use Charging NA or CAN you use Charging NA...

The original "plan" was that Taycan owners could use EITHER Charging NA or Porsche Connect to start the "free" charging. However, neither Porsche app was reliable in the least, so most of us just bit the bullet and paid to use the generally reliable Electrify America app.

Porsche posted an update to both Charging NA and Porsche Connect about a month ago which reduced some of the frustration and unreliability. However, you still have to "fight" with either app to get a charge started. ...and when it does start, the app often tells you that the charger has been disconnected and the charging has been terminated (despite the fact that the car and charging station indicate otherwise).

So, things have gotten marginally better. At least now you SHOULD be able to get a "free" charge started should you still be willing to fight with either app.

Additionally, I understand (from discussions with Porsche Customer Service) that they are trying to move folks off of Changing NA and completely onto Porsche Connect. As both apps are supposed to enable "free" charging, I guess its easier to support one frustrating app rather than two frustrating apps. Its better to be "0 for 1" rather than "0 for 2"...

Also, it should be noted that this is not FREE charging by any means. We all paid for this "free" charging when the Porsche bean-counters worked it into the purchase price of the car. Its not a "free" service its a "pre-paid" service.

If the Porsche App(s) is/are not working, then we are not missing out on some "free" service - we are missing out on a service we all paid for...

IMHO: We need to stop referring to this as "Free Charging"...

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Depends on whether you are asking SHOULD you be able to use Charging NA or CAN you use Charging NA...

The original "plan" was that Taycan owners could use EITHER Charging NA or Porsche Connect to start the "free" charging. However, neither Porsche app was reliable in the least, so most of us just bit the bullet and paid to use the generally reliable Electrify America app.

Porsche posted an update to both Charging NA and Porsche Connect about a month ago which reduced some of the frustration and unreliability. However, you still have to "fight" with either app to get a charge started. ...and when it does start, the app often tells you that the charger has been disconnected and the charging has been terminated (despite the fact that the car and charging station indicate otherwise).

So, things have gotten marginally better. At least now you SHOULD be able to get a "free" charge started should you still be willing to fight with either app.

Additionally, I understand (from discussions with Porsche Customer Service) that they are trying to move folks off of Changing NA and completely onto Porsche Connect. As both apps are supposed to enable "free" charging, I guess its easier to support one frustrating app rather than two frustrating apps. Its better to be "0 for 1" rather than "0 for 2"...

Also, it should be noted that this is not FREE charging by any means. We all paid for this "free" charging when the Porsche bean-counters worked it into the purchase price of the car. Its not a "free" service its a "pre-paid" service.

If the Porsche App(s) is/are not working, then we are not missing out on some "free" service - we are missing out on a service we all paid for...

By the way, there was a new update of the Porsche Connect app (at least for iPhone) with its version 4.3 two days ago. I have no idea whether this updated version allows for a smoother Electrify America charging experience.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Yup! Android also (v4.3-2011271722). I just checked. Looks like it was released on Dec 1st!

Nice catch! Thanks!

Now I gotta go out and run another charging test...

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I use Charging NA without problems. I plug-in the charger and start the charging session from the app. You have to start the session fast after you plug in because there is a timeout that is a few seconds.

I have uninstalled the Porsche Connect App completely because it is suspected to cause the 12v battery drain problem.

Capt Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan4S. 2017 Macan S
Country flag

I've been frustrated as well with the new app and a call to EA didn't help as the gal didn't understand the new app. But I did get it working and have to say that in the 1+ years, I haven't paid a cent to EA. And one wise agent advised that the 30 min free is for that session...supposedly you can plug right in after and get another 30 free. Haven't tried that yet but will at some point.

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan, 22 Q5, 95 F150 Flair Side
Country flag
I've been frustrated as well with the new app and a call to EA didn't help as the gal didn't understand the new app. But I did get it working and have to say that in the 1+ years, I haven't paid a cent to EA. And one wise agent advised that the 30 min free is for that session...supposedly you can plug right in after and get another 30 free. Haven't tried that yet but will at some point.
Not sure why you are using the app as once you set up your account it’s plug and play (charge), no app needed.
I always unplug just before 30 minutes then re-plug to complete my charge as the EA stations near me are so damn slow I need more than 30 minutes to get to 85%.

Capt Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan4S. 2017 Macan S
Country flag
Not sure why you are using the app as once you set up your account it’s plug and play (charge), no app needed.
I always unplug just before 30 minutes then re-plug to complete my charge as the EA stations near me are so damn slow I need more than 30 minutes to get to 85%.
The problem is the 2020s don't have the plug and play feature, so we must persevere with the app.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
The problem is the 2020s don't have the plug and play feature, so we must persevere with the app.
Aren't 2020MY being upgraded to plug-n-charge?

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan, 22 Q5, 95 F150 Flair Side
Country flag
Oh wow I did not know that, kinda stinks its not the same software!

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
they state that the next session has to be started at least one hour after the last session for it to be free.

i don't know if they actually track it or implement that, but that is the policy

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I really really miss plug & charge (from my Tesla days) - but recently I've been having 100% success with the new Porsche app and starting EA chargers - it's less conveninent no doubt - but so far it's worked everytime I've needed it to.

RallyG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT
Country flag
I have had my 2022 for 4 months. Went to EA this week for the first time. Seems to work pretty well, including plug and play. Taking my first road trip (Orange County to Paso Robles wine festival).

If you are on a 350 kw charger, how much of a charge will you get in a 20 minute session? Do you need multiple sessions to fully charge if you are at a low percentage? Art all 350 kw chargers the same in terms of speed? Thanks much
Sponsored