tfurbay

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Range Rover, BMW X5
Country flag
I was lucky to get my PCM updated a few weeks ago. No issues. Then I took a road trip this weekend and tried to charge at an EA station but none of the chargers recognized my membership. EA support told me that they thought the issue was on the Porsche side and was nice enough to give me a courtesy free each day. EA chargers have always worked well for me previously. Has anyone else had an issue with EA after the software update?
Sponsored

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
After my update chargers still recognize my car and will charge the battery but the status screen on the chargers does not advance to the one showing the charging progress and the buttons on the charger didn’t work. Sounds more like an EA problem than a Porsche problem.

bj33813

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I tested the nearest EV station in Tampa (I-75 at Bruce B. Downs)immediately after getting the Big uPdate, and for the first time ever was able to do a simple plug and charge w/o need of any app, tho I seldom have need to charge away from home. As long as your setting in the pcm still is set for plug and charge, you s/b good to go, or its a faulty EA dispenser.

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I've used 16 different EA locations for DCFC since getting my '22 GTS ST (which came from the factory with the update), and plug and charge has worked on every single one.

Snowbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 turbo — Taycan turbo S
Country flag
I was lucky to get my PCM updated a few weeks ago. No issues. Then I took a road trip this weekend and tried to charge at an EA station but none of the chargers recognized my membership. EA support told me that they thought the issue was on the Porsche side and was nice enough to give me a courtesy free each day. EA chargers have always worked well for me previously. Has anyone else had an issue with EA after the software update?
Same for me yesterday. exactly that
I've used 16 different EA locations for DCFC since getting my '22 GTS ST (which came from the factory with the update), and plug and charge has worked on every single one.

OP
OP
tfurbay

tfurbay

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I tested the nearest EV station in Tampa (I-75 at Bruce B. Downs)immediately after getting the Big uPdate, and for the first time ever was able to do a simple plug and charge w/o need of any app, tho I seldom have need to charge away from home. As long as your setting in the pcm still is set for plug and charge, you s/b good to go, or its a faulty EA dispenser.
Thanks. That’s helpful. For some reason the Plug and Charge option was deselected after the uPdate. I haven’t tested it at an EA yet, but I’m pretty sure that was the issue.

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Prior to the update I found EA chargers that didn’t work for P&C. After the update have found chargers that will authorize but fail to display the charging progress screen. Today found a charger in Naples that showed the authorization blue block but failed to start charging. Called EA CS and was put on hold for so long that I just left the site. Been using EA for over 2 years and never had the issues seen as of lately. EA Customer Service line is busy all the time now.
If EA gets any worst I will be tempted to go back to gas!

UPDATE: Went back to the Tampa charger and learned the progress screen takes a while to show after pressing the right hand button. Charging from 12% the 350kW charger dispensed 261kW, in 27 minutes the Taycan was at 88% and 30 kW.

Last edited:

stirthepot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
My car, 2022 4S, no longer works at EA stations via Plug & Charge. In fact, the option is no longer displayed in the PCM at all.

Emailing porsche customer service has been futile to this point, and the dealership is saying they have to order 3 parts to rectify the issue and that its related to a new recall. I don't think either of them have a clue what they are talking about. I'm going to try a factory reset over the weekend when I have more time. Frustrating.

OP
OP
tfurbay

tfurbay

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did you confirm that Plug and Charge is selected on the PCM? It’s hard to find. From the Battery icon, press the three dots in the lower right corner (for options). There you’ll see the Plug and Charge selection box. Be sure it’s checked. Mine wasn’t.

Hiflyin20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
On a related note I’ve been getting random charging errors at home now after the big update. Anyone else?

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
On a related note I’ve been getting random charging errors at home now after the big update. Anyone else?
Yes, but I think it’s because there is more heat being pumped out of the vehicle by the fans during charging, causing the PCM+ to overheat which causes the charging error. After my uPdate I could only complete a charging session at 50% (20A) charge rate using PCM+ I bought a different brand EVSE and it works great at the full 40A setting (no more errors). My theory is that the problem is due to a combination of a change from the uPdate and the poor overall quality of the Porsche EVSEs.

Additional notes: I charge my car in a garage that has a ventilation fan to help reduce the temperature in the summer. My charging errors started immediately after uPdate was applied.

Hiflyin20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Wait so to be clear you bought a new charging cable and that fixed the problem? That’s irritating if that’s the case after I bought the Porsche charging box for ascetics. I have noticed the charger plug being extremely hot

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Wait so to be clear you bought a new charging cable and that fixed the problem? That’s irritating if that’s the case after I bought the Porsche charging box for ascetics. I have noticed the charger plug being extremely hot
Yep, I bought a Lectron V-Box 40A and have been charging flawlessly ever since.

stirthepot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Did you confirm that Plug and Charge is selected on the PCM? It’s hard to find. From the Battery icon, press the three dots in the lower right corner (for options). There you’ll see the Plug and Charge selection box. Be sure it’s checked. Mine wasn’t.
yes, that option has completely disappeared from my PCM now. It was there before and enabled, but now the whole menu item is gone, so nothing to enable or disable exists.

Wrtflyr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I picked up my 2021 4S yesterday after update and drove straight to an EA charger by my home. I tried several chargers, and plug and charge would not connect. I had to call EA customer service and they got the charger going. I checked to see if Plug&Charge was selected in the PMC and it was on. This particular EA location had worked every time I tried it over the last year. However yesterday half their chargers were not available and out of order. The customer service person said they were having numerous problems with Plug&Charge and Taycans . I think I’ll wait a few days and go back and try again and if it fails try a different EA location before I start worrying!
Sponsored