First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Amazing trip!

Please let us know if any of the other drivers write a blog or a review of the drive. I'd be curious to read their perspective on the Taycan from the 'outside'

OP
OP
manitou202

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
Amazing trip!

Please let us know if any of the other drivers write a blog or a review of the drive. I'd be curious to read their perspective on the Taycan from the 'outside'
My brother will be posting a few videos about the road rally. However, there probably won't be much specific Taycan content.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Normal guy supercar on youtube.
Wow, initially I thought @manitou202 s brother was being too hard on Tesla's. Then I see the effect it had.

New article from Electrek:
Tesla (TSLA) slashes Model S price, now starts at just $71,990

If you can't win on performance, go for price. That's likely to be a domain Porsche will not attempt to compete. :cool:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
to be fair the Model 3 is in a different league than the Model S - lower weight, better handling, almost as quick - and better track manners…I agree Tesla has issues, but a lot of Tesla hate is also misplaced posturing and also is generally out of date - opinions founded based on the original Model S (which was ground breaking for it's day).

I really like my Taycan - but also appreciate my Tesla's

OP
OP
manitou202

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
to be fair the Model 3 is in a different league than the Model S - lower weight, better handling, almost as quick - and better track manners…I agree Tesla has issues, but a lot of Tesla hate is also misplaced posturing and also is generally out of date - opinions founded based on the original Model S (which was ground breaking for it's day).

I really like my Taycan - but also appreciate my Tesla's

David,

Completely agree. Tesla makes great cars. They take a lot of flak from people who haven't owned one or haven't driven one on road trips. On the flip side Tesla also suffers from overenthusiastic supporters who can be a turn off. Tesla isn't perfect, but they are way ahead in EV design compared to almost all other automakers. VAG (Porsche/Audi/VW) does seem to be catching up pretty quickly with their new EV's. Yes they have a lot to learn in terms of UX and software, but their battery tech, and charging speeds are very impressive. Combine that with Audi and Porsche fit/finish, they are really competitive products. Also, based on Bjorn's Model S raven charging test, my Taycan reached 90% 15 minutes faster than a Model S LR. Now obviously the Model S will go further on a charge, but on a road trip I bet the Taycan would be faster over all considering how fast it charges down low and holds 100kW+.

My biggest complaint with the Model S and X is they are getting quite outdated. They need a major refresh, with newer battery technology and improved interior. Charging is very slow compared to new cars like the Model 3/Y, E-tron, and Taycan. They also need to improve the interior materials and fit/finish. Even at the recently lowered price, the Model S is still a $70K+ car. Compared to other cars in that price range it does feel a bit cheap.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
On the flip side Tesla also suffers from overenthusiastic supporters who can be a turn off
YES!!! 100% agree

I also agree with the rest of the post…

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've said this before and I'll say it again:
I believe a lot of Tesla fan boys actually like EV's more than they like Tesla, but it requires quite a nuanced analysis to separate the two - as more choice becomes available I believe we'll see people stray from the church of Tesla to a more inclusive appreciation of EV's
I know my Bolt is a great car for what it is - and two friend of my recently leased a 2020 Bolt for $6900 (complete out the door final cost 3 year lease 12k miles/year - $6,100 after the $800 PG&E rebate)....for those that haven't tried it - Bolt is a surprisingly competent vehicle and a great all around EV for day to day point a to point b driving duty - way better than most cars in it's class largely due to the inherent advantages of an EV.

at that price everyone should own a Bolt and it's cheaper than some Porsche options for the Taycan.

I believe Tesla fan boys will become less rabid once there is more choice in terms of purchasing an EV - I'm personally chomping at the bit to lower the amount of Elon in my life and it was a consideration in my purchase of the Taycan.

OP
OP
manitou202

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
After driving my Taycan now for over 2000 miles, and having a very success road rally in terms of charging, the only thing I really miss from my Model X is the App, the six seats, and the storage space. Porsche's App sucks plain and simple.

However, if I had to get rid of the Taycan and go back to the Model X, or even a Model S Performance, I would miss the Taycan's handling, looks, driving position, steering wheel, cooled and massaging seats, birds eye view, apple car play, the gauge cluster layout, fit and finish, sound level, EV sport sound, charging speed, braking performance, night vision, headlights, and the paint.