tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
In the spirit of this excellent US orientated thread – https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/ev-roadwarrior-adapters-“kit”.1364/#post-16729 – I’m thinking of similar for UK/EU region.

I am planning on doing a lot of road trips (Ireland + Contential Europe) with my Taycan 4S and am starting to build out my “on-the-road” charging kit. I have ordered the car with the following chargers:

- [ ] DC 150 kW 400V – The non-Ionity fast chargers installed by the ESB in Ireland run on 400V - unlike the UK.
- [ ] AC 22 kW - There are > 1000 of these public chargers in Ireland – and will be useful if stuck between fast chargers or where there are queues at the chargers.

I don’t plan on using the (forced option) Porsche Mobile Charger Connect unit as its much too large for on-the-road use.

Wondering if there is anything I’ve forgotten and welcome any feedback.

In terms of cables, I am planning the following:

Slow AC

Make:
Porsche
Specs: Type 2 / 20 Amp 7.2 kW
Length: 7.5m
Usage: For use at slow untethered AC chargers at hotels and public car parks.

Porsche Type 2 cable

Fast AC

Make:
Mennekes
Specs: Type 2 / 32 Amp 22 kW
Length: 7m
Usage: For use at “fast” AC chargers (ESB Public Chargers) that can utilise the 22kW car charger

Mennekes Type 2 cable

Tesla destination charging

Make:
Unsure
Specs: Tesla to non-Tesla EV Adapter for Europe, IEC62196 Type 2
Length: 0.15 meters
Usage: For emergency charging at hotels with only a (available) Tesla destination charger

Tesla to non-Tesla EV Adapter for Europe, IEC62196 Type 2

Emergency destination charging

Make:
Juice Booster 2
Specs: UK Kit with EU accessory pack + 10 meter extension cord
Length: > 10 m
Usage: For emergency charging at hotels without a dedicated or working EV charger

Mobile EVSE with adapters
Sponsored

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I believe that you do not need the extra cable for slow AC charging. I think that the 22 kW cable will work just as fine at 7 kW and is the same standard. The difference is probably just that the lower rated cable only is a one phase cable while the 22 kW is three phase.

And as far as I know you do not need the Tesla adapter. All the destination chargers I have used in France and Italy have been the standard connector that you have in the Taycan. It might be a cable for use by older Model S cars that had a different connector.

The Juice Booster seems a good charger but also have a look at the NRG Kick. Very similar units and both competitive and cost effective in buying new adapters.

So you should be able to travel much lighter with two items less in your boot!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I wish to learn many many things from this thread.

Question do you even “need” a TeslaTap like device to use Tesla L2 chargers in the UK/EU - I thought in greater europe the Tesla Chargers used the EU standard connectors?

Education is requested and appreciated - and I still think Superchargers “work” unless they “fixed” the billing issue - LOL

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I believe that you do not need the extra cable for slow AC charging. I think that the 22 kW cable will work just as fine at 7 kW and is the same standard. The difference is probably just that the lower rated cable only is a one phase cable while the 22 kW is three phase.
This is probably correct. I happen to have the slow cable today – as it charges my Panamera – so wouldn't be a new purchase. I will test the new 32 Amp cable at a slow AC charger and not carry the slower one if successful.

And as far as I know you do not need the Tesla adapter. All the destination chargers I have used in France and Italy have been the standard connector that you have in the Taycan. It might be a cable for use by older Model S cars that had a different connector.
Oh, I thought that perhaps this adapter "tricks" the Tesla destination charger into thinking its a Tesla vehicle plugging in. Further investigation required.

The Juice Booster seems a good charger but also have a look at the NRG Kick. Very similar units and both competitive and cost effective in buying new adapters.
Thank you for the pointer, will read up on it – its good to have choices.

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Oh, the NRG Kick uses the official Mennekes connectors – I really like them – and its why I bought the fast cable I did in the original post.

I had two previous cables that were from generic manufacturers and while they worked, I found that you had to "wiggle" the cable connectors into your car sometimes to get them to work.

So I seek out those connectors as much as possible as they are excellent. Costly, but excellent.

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
You will only ever need a 3 phase Type 2 cable. You certainly don't need any other Type 2 cable and you certainly don't need a juice booster. You will use the mobile connector with a 3 pin mains and a heavy duty extension lead if you are staying at accommodation that you can chuck a lead out of the window. If you are going abroad you may want a Schuko adapter for plugging in in France.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Question do you even “need” a TeslaTap like device to use Tesla L2 chargers in the UK/EU - I thought in greater europe the Tesla Chargers used the EU standard connectors?
No you do not need any extra devices to use the Tesla Destination chargers here in Europe. They are all equiped with the Mennekes Type 2 connector.

Tesla Destination Chargers are the Tesla Wall Connector and they work perfectly with the Taycan. Unfortunately I have not been able to get my Tesla UMC ( mobile charger) to work with my Taycan. I would prefer to bring that on trips for emergency charging. The Porsche PMCC is rather large to bring along. And if you like to go a bit off the beat and track, you will appreciate bringing a good mobile unit!

France also has quite a number of 22 kW chargers ( Renault Zoe uses 22 kW) so it is easy to find!

First Name
Felix
Threads
Reaction score
Website
electricfelix.com
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace (rentals), Hyundai Ioniq EV (co-ownership w/good friend), Taycan 4S (dream)
Country flag
As others have stated already: you don't need anything special. The three phase Type 2 cable will work anywhere in Europe, great that you took the 22kW upgrade.
When you do head out for adventure it's always smart to bring a Schuko-cable though (normal EU power plug) so you can get that one out at "emergency camping locations" or when accomodation has no Tesla alternative and you can roll out the extension cord "of survival". Still you will hopefully hardly use it (I did in Spain and Switzerland but only when no other options were available or when I wanted to start the day at a 100% for a longer journey).
If you want to learn the best techniques to fast charge at Ionity I recommend my Berlin->Amsterdam race video on YouTube.
And if you want to prepare for nations like France, my advice would be to read my "EV guide to France" to get yourself up to speed with some European charging cards.

FredC057

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, Fiat 500Ce, Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
As there is a new free option to replace the PMC+ with a charging cable Type 2, I decided to forget about the PMCC and request the install of a double fixed 22kW charger in my garage.

And to travel, I'll travel light with a lot of charging cards and applications and this type 2 cable.

I was waiting for the Juice Booster 3 as it was announced for 2021. But now I'm wondering if it's really needed.
In 2021 in Europe, there are more and more places where you'll find a Type 2 connection and have to plug to a Schuko will be so rare that I might skip it to gain even more space in the boot.
Sponsored