Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
I get your point now, thanks. Would actual range not be very actual speed dependent?
No doubt, actual range is certainly speed dependent. What caught my attention in the post I mentioned was that actual range on the same route at the same speeds somehow decreased significantly over a 30 day period. In the context of this thread, which is about range (predicted at least) changing after a long trip, I was puzzled. Like I said, maybe I misinterpreted.

Anyway, if all of this can just be chalked up to variance in the prediction model and not actual battery performance, then there is really nothing to worry about.
Sponsored

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
No doubt, actual range is certainly speed dependent. What caught my attention in the post I mentioned was that actual range on the same route at the same speeds somehow decreased significantly over a 30 day period. In the context of this thread, which is about range (predicted at least) changing after a long trip, I was puzzled. Like I said, maybe I misinterpreted.

Anyway, if all of this can just be chalked up to variance in the prediction model and not actual battery performance, then there is really nothing to worry about.
I don’t know either…

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
It's just accounting for the added info of you going 80+ mph on Texas roads for a sustained period.

I just drove my car from Dallas to El Paso after delivery yesterday, and was laser locked at 83mph for 90% of the trip. My range listed on delivery was 205 miles at 100% charge from dealership. When I arrived home, my max range was 225 miles. It actually added some range despite going so fast for over 600 miles of data. My guess is 225 miles is about how far one can travel if they go 80 miles an hour without stopping. As the next month or two goes by, I fully expect it to steadily increase since I won't be just accumulating all freeway miles, and not at that speed.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I changed the thread title as I do not believe this affected actual range in any way, just that the long road trip cause the estimation to go out of whack for a while.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I changed the thread title as I do not believe this affected actual range in any way, just that the long road trip cause the estimation to go out of whack for a while.
Are you seeing the estimate go back up now?

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for correcting this because @Mike in CA and I were close to organizing a duel at sunrise to settle the matter…

iamfrozt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I can understand how projected range calculations might average out based on changes in real world driving habits, but it makes no sense at all to me that actual maximum driving range would decrease just because one took a long trip. I'd love to hear an explanation as to why that might happen.
This is the same point I was trying to get to, albeit probably less directly. I don't see how the range projections could impact actual battery availability (percentage remaining) in normal driving situations. To my point earlier, if there's some interaction with the range minder and actual driving range availability being thrown off from aggressive driving sessions or long driving at high speeds that's a serious problem that needs to be addressed by Porsche.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I get your point now, thanks. Would actual range not be very actual speed dependent?
This is what I meant to say. I set my ACC for the same speed on the same stretch but in opposite directions. The weather was slightly cooler on the return trip but the battery was heated from previous charges and motorway driving in both direction. Battery temp about 30 degrees in both cases.. The average speed was also within a few km/h so no real difference. Wind about the same as judged from trees etc, but could have been different by measurement , but not much difference felt. Overall leg was close to 200 km.
Only difference driving with the sun in the back going and against sun coming back ??

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is what I meant to say. I set my ACC for the same speed on the same stretch but in opposite directions. The weather was slightly cooler on the return trip but the battery was heated from previous charges and motorway driving in both direction. Battery temp about 30 degrees in both cases.. The average speed was also within a few km/h so no real difference. Wind about the same as judged from trees etc, but could have been different by measurement , but not much difference felt. Overall leg was close to 200 km.
Only difference driving with the sun in the back going and against sun coming back ??
Humidity?

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
One thing I've noticed having recently taken a number of trips where I drive one way, park for an hour then drive back the same way is that if you switch the car off for that hour, it seems to reset everything, so you're back to super high consumption for the first part of the return leg, even if your battery is still warm. i.e. if you got the consumption down to say 34kwh/100miles by the end of the outward journey, turning the car back on for the return leg causes the consumption to jump back up to 100kwh/100miles before slowly declining. I think therefore that much of the initial hit to consumption is the heat pump stirring up which takes a lot of power to get going. That may have caused a hit for you if the car needed slightly more warming on the return leg (as it would not be pre-warmed I assume). Next time I'm going to leave the car on for an hour so the heat pump doesn't turn off before turning around, and see if that gets me better range on the way back.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
One thing I've noticed having recently taken a number of trips where I drive one way, park for an hour then drive back the same way is that if you switch the car off for that hour, it seems to reset everything, so you're back to super high consumption for the first part of the return leg, even if your battery is still warm. i.e. if you got the consumption down to say 34kwh/100miles by the end of the outward journey, turning the car back on for the return leg causes the consumption to jump back up to 100kwh/100miles before slowly declining. I think therefore that much of the initial hit to consumption is the heat pump stirring up which takes a lot of power to get going. That may have caused a hit for you if the car needed slightly more warming on the return leg (as it would not be pre-warmed I assume). Next time I'm going to leave the car on for an hour so the heat pump doesn't turn off before turning around, and see if that gets me better range on the way back.
Thanks for your thoughts. I did not do this s a return journey. The first trip was in late September and the second trip in early November. The leg is part of a 750 km drive in each direction. The temperature was around 25 degrees and around 20 degrees. Also to note is the leg I described was between two Ionity charging stations on a motorway stretch. The car had benn driven and charged before on both legs. Battery temperature in both cases was about 30 degrees, 29 to 31. In neither case I think heating of the cabin was engaged but possibly Air conditioning to cool the cabin?

The service guys today hinted at a possible wheel alignment problem when discusssing this. Will see next week when they have the car in.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Gottit, thanks. Keep us updated,
Would be interesting if it is a wheel misalignment .

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
What about elevation?

Alemany

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 600LT, Nissan GTR, Tesla P100D, MiniCooper Cooper limited edition, Taycan Turbo S (ordered), Giulia Quadrafoglio
Country flag
My car is RWD with PB+.
Charging at home, I've seen 85% range of 250-260 miles, and around 290-300 at 100%.

I took a lengthy road trip over the weekend (details in the trip reports forum) where I had a ton of highway miles at reasonably high speeds.

Now after getting home, my range is down to 200 on an 85% charge.

I have to assume the estimator is just out of whack with the large highway trip and it will recover, but it was a bigger drop than I expected.
Same here. My 85% range dropped from 215-225 t0 180-185 when the temperature went from 80-90m to 35-45 (F). Seems a lot to drop...
Sponsored