Expanded Electrify America charger coverage - flame away!

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I had so much fun reading the recent Youtube Kyle thread that I thought I would throw more wood on the proverbial fire of a sensitive subject on this board - that is Electrify America. Plus, we have not had a good charging network conversation/arguement/screaming matching in like a month, so I figured I would start one up again since it is so fun.

I am not sure if every one looks at the "coming soon" section of the Electrify America website, but they have recently listed 70-80 new locations that will be built in some unknown future timeframe. The new chargers will close a few network gaps - like the I-25 gap between Albuquerque and Las Cruces and the I-20 gap in northern Louisiana and in Mississippi. If you plan on Montana next year, you will be in luck since there are a number of sites scheduled for installation in the state. For some reason Electrify America hates Texas. They have a few sites planned around San Antonio, but that is about it.

Anyway, it is nice to see that Electrify America has a road map for expanding the network. Hopefully, they also have a new and improved plan for increasing reliability and reducing the number of non-functioning chargers since we all know what they do now has a lot of room for improvement I know many on this board are eagerly awaiting the expansion of the CCS enabled Tesla network, but it is good to know that Electrify America is expanding its coverage and providing the driving public with more and more charging options.

Public service announcement time: we all know the EA network is not perfect, and has a lot of room for improvement. But, for some of us, the network works great. For example, I did a 9 day road trip last week from Denver to Phoenix and every location I used through Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona worked without an issue, nor did I have to wait to charge. At multiple sites I got initial +250kW speeds, so could not have been happier.

I thought I would share since I always like to see new chargers on the way, now

Porsche Taycan Expanded Electrify America charger coverage - flame away! images
Sponsored

Last edited:

slothinker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 (now sold), Toyota MR2, BMW 328i (now sold)
Country flag
Unfortunately for EA, charging vehicles that require charging to be able to get to a destination is a business where 99% availability might not be enough. But I agree w/ thecoloradokid that it can work great. Glad they are expanding their network.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I had so much fun reading the recent Youtube Kyle thread that I thought I would throw more wood on the proverbial fire of a sensitive subject on this board - that is Electrify America. Plus, we have not had a good charging network conversation/arguement/screaming matching in like a month, so I figured I would start one up again since it is so fun.

I am not sure if every one looks at the "coming soon" section of the Electrify America website, but they have recently listed 70-80 new locations that will be built in some unknown future timeframe. The new chargers will close a few network gaps - like the I-25 gap between Albuquerque and Las Cruces and the I-20 gap in northern Louisiana and in Mississippi. If you plan on Montana next year, you will be in luck since there are a number of sites scheduled for installation in the state. For some reason Electrify America hates Texas. They have a few sites planned around San Antonio, but that is about it.

Anyway, it is nice to see that Electrify America has a road map for expanding the network. Hopefully, they also have a new and improved plan for increasing reliability and reducing the number of non-functioning chargers since we all know what they do now has a lot of room for improvement I know many on this board are eagerly awaiting the expansion of the CCS enabled Tesla network, but it is good to know that Electrify America is expanding its coverage and providing the driving public with more and more charging options.

Public service announcement time: we all know the EA network is not perfect, and has a lot of room for improvement. But, for some of us, the network works great. For example, I did a 9 day road trip last week from Denver to Phoenix and every location I used through Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona worked without an issue, nor did I have to wait to charge. At multiple sites I got initial +250kW speeds, so could not have been happier.

I thought I would share since I always like to see new chargers on their way, now

images.jpeg
I posted elsewhere a few days ago on yet another long road trip with Zero issues charging at EA stations here in Texas - batting 100% success with PnC in multiple trips over a 1.5 year timeframe and ca. 18 or so DC stops. As far as hating TX maybe we need to complain more and they'll try to placate us with more builds :)!!

No doubt EA has a ton to improve but recent press releases here have highlighted planned State spend/promotion of EV DC station build outs over the next few years - if I find the articles I'll attach but we'll have to wait and see - perhaps EA avoiding competitive space - who knows?!

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Unfortunately for EA, charging vehicles that require charging to be able to get to a destination is a business where 99% availability might not be enough. But I agree w/ thecoloradokid that it can work great. Glad they are expanding their network.

Ah - here is the article I was thinking of - again seeing is believing though!

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/09/27/texas-electric-vehicle-charging-stations/

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Ah - here is the article I was thinking of - again seeing is believing though!

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/09/27/texas-electric-vehicle-charging-stations/

Gregg Abbott - the proverbial turd in the punchbowl.

Making progress in Texas with a state sponsored charging network even with federal funds footing the bill with that guy in office will be a challenge.

I can't wait for a CCS charger to be installed in the northwest part of the panhandle, like in Dalhart. Hopefully, that strategically placed charger will cut down on the number of monster ICE SUV's driving to Colorado to vacation in the mountains.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

images.jpeg
I welcome any/all FastDC charging sites that are reliable and functional…from any charging vendor.

sites that are not reliable/functional may as well not exist and do not contribute to the greater good.

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
The problem with ChargePoint chargers is the maintenance is separate. So it will be interesting how sucessful the program in Texas is over time. Hopefully they put a big line item in the budget for maintenance.

DNADoc

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB S560e
Country flag
Sorry to throw water on the parade. I traveled from San Clemente to Indian Wells for the tennis tournament. When I arrive at the Electrify America station there were 2 cars charging and 2 empty Chargers. A friendly driver charging in Bay 4 told me that "only 2 of the chargers are working" Fortunately he was finished and left I I plugged in.....Porsche Connect app did not communicate with car and I had to call for assistance. I must say the customer support folks at EA are great and eventually my charge began. I walked to a nearby Starbucks and by the time I returned there were 3 cars waiting for a charge. Since all Teslas charge at Tesla stations there are very few cars on the road that would use EA. However as more EV's are sold. (there was a mustang, BMW and Audi) having one station with 2 working charges just isn't going to cut it.

I also find it annoying that my App never initializes correctly. Just my humble opinion.

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Kia EV9
Glad to see the expansion and of course would like to see them step up reliability quite a bit. They have less love for Alabama tho as their map shows none for “coming soon”. I have been told by their reps that a few more stations are coming in 2024 to Alabama, including Huntsville. So those stations on that map must be coming sometime this year, if that is to be believed. That station in Monroe LA for example should be up by this summer.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Forgot to mention that I noticed that PlugShare shows a Shell EV Station being built in Columbus , TX (major charge point between Houston and Austin or San Antonio) - realize they are plentiful in Europe but had not seen any here in the US as yet - have others here experienced them in the US? Of course EA still free to me for another 1.5 years but options great to have given ever increasing EV traffic - need to check Shell press info!

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
This one popped up last year but appears to be broken now.
https://www.plugshare.com/location/365882

Shell bought Volta and numerous Volta instillations are stalled with bubble wrapped dispensers. No one at Volta knows whats going on with their installations. Although EA seems to be getting better with the new SK Signet chargers the CCS charging landscape remains discourging. When will Tesla update more SuC to CCS Magic Dock connectors?

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This one popped up last year but appears to be broken now.
https://www.plugshare.com/location/365882

Shell bought Volta and numerous Volta instillations are stalled with bubble wrapped dispensers. No one at Volta knows whats going on with their installations. Although EA seems to be getting better with the new SK Signet chargers the CCS charging landscape remains discourging. When will Tesla update more SuC to CCS Magic Dock connectors?
interesting and quite weird but the station I noted in Columbus Tx under construction had now disappeared from PlugShare!!
Works in progress I guess!
Sponsored