Extended Warranty - worth it?

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
The marketing of the extended warranties is what gets me. The extended warranty doesn't kick in until the manufacture warranty is gone. Based on the rates above these are really what the terms are:

With $250 deductible:
1 yr / 10K - $1959.00
1 yr / 50K - $2883.00
2 yr / 10K - $2222.00
2 yr / 50K - $3421.00
3 yr / 30K - $2856.00
3 yr / 50K - $3611.00
4 yr / 30K - $3226.00
6 yr / 50K - $4219.00

Looking at it this way puts the rates into a better perspective. I forgo the pressure sales at the time of purchase and decide on an extended warranty further down the road (closer to expiration of the warranty). No since in buying something if the car has been good or if I'm planning to move into a new model.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had gotten a 10yr 100k warranty from Fidelity thru my dealership for about $4300 on my 2020 Taycan 4S. I tend to hang onto cars and I know Porsche parts and service are not cheap.

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
Any US based folks gotten the Porsche extended warranty for their Taycan in recent months? Care to share details?

Similarly, any recent Fidelity Warranty experiences to share? I'm interested to know if Fidelity has added coverage for previously uncovered items like air suspension.

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
In UK all Porsche cars are sold with a 3 year warranty (used to be 2 years!!). The warranty can be extended after that via Porsche if required on a yearly basis (same warranty features).

What standard warranty do you get in US before thinking of extending it?
Thats interesting when did the three year warranty begin?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thats interesting when did the three year warranty begin?
Can't honestly remember - in my case 3 Porsches ago - around 9 years or so as the Porsches I had prior did not have it - previously 2 yrs in UK

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
If it was not an EV, it would have made more sense to me but $10K just seems to be steep for a less mechanically complex EV.
If if your drive unit is faulty like mine was on my 21 RWD you'll be glad you have extended warranty. It's ~$40K to replace. Replaced and first gear noise came back after a short while. I sold the car a couple months ago due to concern of repair costs outside of warranty.

CaliPorsche

First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Cayenne S, 964 Speedster, AMG
Hopefully not too far off topic - I have a low mileage 2020 4S with a normal 2 year Porsche CPO warranty (so until late 2026)- do Porsche typically market the extended warranty to owners towards the end of the CPO warranty ... or not ... I ask just out of curiosity ...... I rarely hold the same car for more than 3 years but if I did I would want warranty coverage.....

BJCanadaMax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo, MINI SE, Toyota Prius
Country flag
I never kept a car for more than 3 years, even if many times I said "this car will be my forever car", eventually the excitement runs low and a different car catches my eye, so EW is not in the cards for me. I like to see what else is there on the market car wise.
Longest one i keep is for sure the prius, going to run it to the ground. just too useful and easy to get around in it. Love how just jump in and flip it to go. I forgot how long i kept the S2000. I had to give that up. caused me so much trouble and makes me drive in anger, etc. shortest is either the crap hyundai genesis or MINI SE. decided to trade in the MINI than the Prius.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@evn00b Grateful for your question, this has been on my mind also. I'll share my thoughts and what I've learned about extended warranty considerations in the US market...
. . .

When I took delivery of my CT4 in November 2021 and sat with the dealership F&I guy, the Porsche EW wasn't being offered at all. So I decided I would hold off until that becomes available again in order to make the comparison.

Another reason to wait on EW purchase until year 4 of the standard warranty is that, with the growth of EV sales in the USA, I am guessing that 3rd party EW coverage will adapt to covering this category more thoroughly (e.g. to cover the battery replacement beyond Porsche's 8 years).
Have you done any more research or made decisions regarding extended warranty for your 22?

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
No I haven't, but planning to ask at the dealership about the Porsche offering at my upcoming 2 year service appointment.
May be a repeat post (!) but about 6 months or so ago I got the Porsche Platinum 8 yr (so extends for 4 yrs) with zero deductible, 60K miles for $4300. Not cheap but very pleased to have it (I keep cars longer than most).

Last edited:

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
May be a repeat post (!) but about 6 months or so ago I got the Porsche Platinum 8 yr (so extends for 5 yrs) with zero deductible, 60K miles for $4300. Not cheap but very pleased to have it (I keep cars longer than most).
Ciaran, is that 8 yrs from the in service date or from the day you purchased it? Because if it's the former, then it's just extending the manufacture warranty for 4 years right? What about the mileage? Standard warranty is 50k miles so is the 60k extended warranty to start after the 50k miles giving you a total of 110k miles? The battery warranty is 8yr / 80k miles so is the 60k miles on top of that too? This would be the first car I am thinking of buying the extended warranty for, so I am familiar with the details. Thanks

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
Ciaran, is that 8 yrs from the in service date or from the day you purchased it? Because if it's the former, then it's just extending the manufacture warranty for 4 years right? What about the mileage? Standard warranty is 50k miles so is the 60k extended warranty to start after the 50k miles giving you a total of 110k miles? The battery warranty is 8yr / 80k miles so is the 60k miles on top of that too? This would be the first car I am thinking of buying the extended warranty for, so I am familiar with the details. Thanks
No, the Porsche warranties do not add, it’s the total time/mileage covered.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
No as I mentioned in the post in brackets it extends your factory by 5 years.

EDIT - error new car limited warranty is 4 years ext for +4 years.
Sponsored

Last edited: