First public charge attempts...good and bad!

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
I used a 50kw instavolt unit a few days ago in Newcastle under Lyme, Staffordshire. Very easy to use, also, very quick.. My only issue, no option for a receipt.. You have to email them and wait.. I did the email before I drove off and still no receipt for the payment.
If you use the Chargepoint app and setup your account you should get a receipt automatically after each charge, provided you have asked the app to do that...hopefully that helps for future transactions. If you are an iPhone user you can also set it up to use Apple Pay in which case you don’t even need your contactless credit card...
Sponsored

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
First public go today, 50kw unit at Ikea (don't ask!) ecotricity unit, worked fine with their app. Was only a test and only pumped in at 39kw but all good! Small plus was a parking spot next to the entrance :)

998CC154-4638-4E8F-AB2D-7D3C18892229.jpeg
And a nice wide spot also! Was it a free charge?

Redders

First Name
Antony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Mercedes E240 Est, BMW 420d Sport Conv
Country flag
So, didnt really need to but decide to graze a few kw’s, and had my first public charge.

B&m ( podpoint I think) and very successful. Plugged in and off I went.

34-B91-ADC-C66-F-4020-A487-D823952-FB342.jpg

90231-EF7-29-A5-4-F83-B27-C-D214-AB057-D6-A.jpg

Not so successful, 50kw charger and needed to park In town so had to pay £1.30 an hour for parking so thought I’d give it a go.

Swarco charger~ Couldn’t get app off grey shading, so no charge in this one. App says out of order but people are charging as a car was parked getting a charge. As I’m new to this was it operator error ?

0-FB6-D1-BA-3814-4699-8814-8292-D0-E71207.png
So, didnt really need to but decide to graze a few kw’s, and had my first public charge.

B&m ( podpoint I think) and very successful. Plugged in and off I went.

Porsche Taycan First public charge attempts...good and bad! 34-B91-ADC-C66-F-4020-A487-D823952-FB342

Porsche Taycan First public charge attempts...good and bad! 90231-EF7-29-A5-4-F83-B27-C-D214-AB057-D6-A

Not so successful, 50kw charger and needed to park In town so had to pay £1.30 an hour for parking so thought I’d give it a go.

Swarco charger~ Couldn’t get app off grey shading, so no charge in this one. App says out of order but people are charging as a car was parked getting a charge. As I’m new to this was it operator error ?

Porsche Taycan First public charge attempts...good and bad! 0-FB6-D1-BA-3814-4699-8814-8292-D0-E71207
I decided to try my first charge away from home at Gridserve in Braintree, Essex. I grazed a few kW from about 50% SOC to 60%. I used. 350 kW charger. I was only connected for 7 or 8 mins. (max rate about 100 kW) An excellent facility. I hope this company has a successful future ahead of them.

Porsche Taycan First public charge attempts...good and bad! 750476FF-EA93-4ACC-A035-4E6423E82F62

Norfolkporsche

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Turbo S
Country flag
I decided to try my first charge away from home at Gridserve in Braintree, Essex. I grazed a few kW from about 50% SOC to 60%. I used. 350 kW charger. I was only connected for 7 or 8 mins. (max rate about 100 kW) An excellent facility. I hope this company has a successful future ahead of them.

750476FF-EA93-4ACC-A035-4E6423E82F62.jpeg
Were it not for the current lockdown, I’d quite fancy the drive from Norfolk to try that out. If we can get these into most towns in the U.K. and on major motorways, that would be ideal.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Were it not for the current lockdown, I’d quite fancy the drive from Norfolk to try that out. If we can get these into most towns in the U.K. and on major motorways, that would be ideal.
Yes, this charging station looks great!

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag

Yes, this looks great! I work near there sometimes so may call in for a graze. Do you use the Porsche card and is it expensive?

Norfolkporsche

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Turbo S
Country flag
Yes, this looks great! I work near there sometimes so may call in for a graze. Do you use the Porsche card and is it expensive?
i know your comment was addressed to Redders, but I used the Porsche Card at IONITY at Cambridge services. Worked a treat and I got an invoice from Porsche at the end of last month. £10.58 including VAT for 35.13 kWh. That was at the rate of 0.2499 plus VAT. I had to scan my card on the charge unit, but I understand that’s not necessary on 2021 MY cars?

snb7x

First Name
Bertie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan S, Z4 3.0i Conv, VW Golf & Taycan Turbo (awaited)
Country flag

looks a fab facility but any idea why you only were drawing 100kw when charging?

Valerian

First Name
Valerian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The next Gridserve location should be the Broadland Business Park east of Norwich. Planning permission is in the system so that might be usesful.

On a related point I received the Taycan Charging Card but am unclear if I have to do anything to activate it? Any advice?

Norfolkporsche

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Turbo S
Country flag
The next Gridserve location should be the Broadland Business Park east of Norwich. Planning permission is in the system so that might be usesful.

On a related point I received the Taycan Charging Card but am unclear if I have to do anything to activate it? Any advice?
Hi Valerian. I applied for my card through the My Porsche portal and it was one of the ‘Services‘ you were able to sign up to. I applied and got the card, but don’t remember having to activate it. I waved it in front of the IONITY charging pedestal and the charging started. So easy.

Good news re the Gridserve in Norwich.

Valerian

First Name
Valerian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi Valerian. I applied for my card through the My Porsche portal and it was one of the ‘Services‘ you were able to sign up to. I applied and got the card, but don’t remember having to activate it. I waved it in front of the IONITY charging pedestal and the charging started. So easy.

Good news re the Gridserve in Norwich.
Yes will help me when I’m allowed to drive to Norwich matches.....
Thanks so mine should be activated. Do you uses a credit card also on IONITY or do you just get a bill from Porsche?

Norfolkporsche

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Turbo S
Country flag

Sc

Yes will help me when I’m allowed to drive to Norwich matches.....
Thanks so mine should be activated. Do you uses a credit card also on IONITY or do you just get a bill from Porsche?
I entered my credit card details on the Porsche website, so any use gets billed back to me by Porsche at the end of each month.