First winter. Charging profile and timer

mc9er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2021 Audi Q7
Country flag
Hi all - first winter with the Taycan. Since getting the car in April, I have set the general profile to only charge up to 85%. No issues with that whatsoever. Last night, I setup a timer so that on Monday-Friday my car would be at temp in my garage on those cold Wisconsin mornings! I noticed that the car then charged itself to 88-89% and then stopped there (instead of my 85% max). Is that to account for the battery percentages that may be knocked off to precondition the vehicle?

Also: I am assuming that if not plugged in, the car will still precondition, correct? Will just use some of the battery. I will have to get in a better habit of plugging it in every night even if close to fully charged.

Thank you!
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi all - first winter with the Taycan. Since getting the car in April, I have set the general profile to only charge up to 85%. No issues with that whatsoever. Last night, I setup a timer so that on Monday-Friday my car would be at temp in my garage on those cold Wisconsin mornings! I noticed that the car then charged itself to 88-89% and then stopped there (instead of my 85% max). Is that to account for the battery percentages that may be knocked off to precondition the vehicle?

Also: I am assuming that if not plugged in, the car will still precondition, correct? Will just use some of the battery. I will have to get in a better habit of plugging it in every night even if close to fully charged.

Thank you!
These are my settings for timed charging and charging level (100% accurate) - both are active to ensure I charge within a given timeframe and that I will be charged to 85%. Sounds like you have something similar.

I've always had to use both a timer and a profile to manage my charging sessions. A profile on its own would regularly overcharge.

I don't believe there is any other level of sophistication applied.

When connected to your PMC+ / PMCC / other any pre-heat / pre-cool energy is drawn from the EVSE and not the car's battery. You can elect to pre-heat / pre-cool when not connected but this will (obviously) draw down on your battery and so your 85% could quickly become 80%. Ideally, perform this task when connected to preserve the charge you have before setting off.

Porsche Taycan First winter. Charging profile and timer Daily Timer.PNG

Porsche Taycan First winter. Charging profile and timer Profile - Preferred Charging Time

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
Last night, I setup a timer so that on Monday-Friday my car would be at temp in my garage on those cold Wisconsin mornings! I noticed that the car then charged itself to 88-89% and then stopped there (instead of my 85% max). Is that to account for the battery percentages that may be knocked off to precondition the vehicle?
I experience this as well. When I just have my general profile set to 80% with no timers active the car charges to said 80% as quickly as possible and then stops as it should. When I add a timer to have the car at 80% at say 7AM at 70 degrees, it delays the start of the charge cycle so that it finishes about 20-30 minutes before the 7AM timer deadline and also charges to 83-ish%. I assume, like you, that it adds a little buffer to keep the car preconditioned at 70 degrees for those next 20-30 minutes, although I am not sure why it needs to do that since it is still plugged in and I thought it would take the energy to maintain temperature from the grid and not the battery.

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
Same observation here. As the weather's turned colder, the car's started going a point or two past my target.

Is it possible that this is due to the way the battery chemistry responds to temperature? That is, you take a cold battery and charge it to 80%. Then warm the battery up and perhaps it goes to 82%. Or, conversely, if you charge a warm battery to 80% and then get it cold, will it drop to 78%? All without charging or discharging the batteries.

jlee504

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
targa gts
Country flag
I have yet to see where you can not have a timer in the general profile. Mine always says target charge + departure time.

Where can you set it to get a target charge?

I experience this as well. When I just have my general profile set to 80% with no timers active the car charges to said 80% as quickly as possible and then stops as it should. When I add a timer to have the car at 80% at say 7AM at 70 degrees, it delays the start of the charge cycle so that it finishes about 20-30 minutes before the 7AM timer deadline and also charges to 83-ish%. I assume, like you, that it adds a little buffer to keep the car preconditioned at 70 degrees for those next 20-30 minutes, although I am not sure why it needs to do that since it is still plugged in and I thought it would take the energy to maintain temperature from the grid and not the battery.

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
I have yet to see where you can not have a timer in the general profile. Mine always says target charge + departure time.

Where can you set it to get a target charge?
No timer. Set the target charge in the General charging profile to whatever you want to it to stop charging at whenever you plug in and select optimized charging (and do NOT select preferred charging times). With that profile selected (mine is set to a target charge of 80%) my car will charge to 80% as fast as possible and then stop charging whenever plugged in. There are a few threads on this topic and the Good to Know app is not the clearest but has it all there as well.

OP
OP
mc9er

mc9er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2021 Audi Q7
Country flag
Hmmmm… wish it didn’t wait to start charging until the morning so it’s finished in time - would be much nicer if it charged as quickly as possible once plugged in and then also kicked back on in AM to precondition the car…

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
Hmmmm… wish it didn’t wait to start charging until the morning so it’s finished in time - would be much nicer if it charged as quickly as possible once plugged in and then also kicked back on in AM to precondition the car…
I have not personally done this but I see no reason why you cannot. Just do a General charge profile set to optimized charging (not preferred charging times). Then add a NON-CHARGING departure timer for whatever time you want the car preconditioned for and for whatever days of the week you want. There is an option to de-select Charging in the timer setup. Then of course set your preferred temperature. If you activate both that profile and that non-charging timer the car should charge to your charging target immediately when plugged in and then stop but will continue to precondition for the departure timer. If the car is still plugged in it should also use the grid to do the preconditioning and, if it is not, it will use the battery. There is no reason why that shouldn't work.
Sponsored