First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks. I’m going to do some testing.
Man, get a life - it's too short as it is and there are more important things (I'm sure) to be worried about!

But since you're on a mission, there has been the odd occasion where the process has started 30 mins prior to the preferred window if the logic thinks it might need to start sooner. Sometimes this is to check and sometimes it may be needed depending on SOC at the start of the next session.

My electric bill also bears testament to this as I get 8000 miles / annum of free electricity providing I charge between 00:00 and 07:00 (off-peak time) and every month I've had a credit for the amount consumed.
Sponsored

Silveral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
One thing I cannot understand is: I have a timer set to 75 degrees in the morning. If I change my ac settings while driving i also change the timer’s temperature. WHY???

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
Thanks to W1NGE and Jhenson29 and their discussion in this thread I have finally managed to charge the car in the non-peak hours wiithout exceeding the 85% target SoC. I am waiting to celebrate this accomplishment until I can reproduce the results on subsequent charging attempts over the next couple of weeks,

My situation is slightly different (and somewhat easier) than what I have seen other forum members describe. Instead of trying to complete charging in a small non-peak rate window in the middle of the night, I need to avoid charging in a small peak rate window during the day. The peak hours for the Time of Use electric service plan in my geographic area are 2:00pm to 6:00pm from 1-Jun to 30-Nov and 4:00pm to 8:00pm from 1-Dec to 31-May. Since I tend to forget these dates, I have redefined the peak hours window from 2:00pm to 8:00pm.

I consider my preferred charging hours to be 8:30pm to 6:30am. I don't activate the Precool/heat feature since I am retired and don't start driving the car at the same time every day.

Compared to the intuitive Tesla charging configuration the Porsche approach is overly complicated and somewhat klunky. Tesla simply requires two data points - the target SoC and either the scheduled charging start time or the scheduled departure time. The concept of minimum charge does not exist in the Tesla world.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks to W1NGE and Jhenson29 and their discussion in this thread I have finally managed to charge the car in the non-peak hours wiithout exceeding the 85% target SoC. I am waiting to celebrate this accomplishment until I can reproduce the results on subsequent charging attempts over the next couple of weeks,

My situation is slightly different (and somewhat easier) than what I have seen other forum members describe. Instead of trying to complete charging in a small non-peak rate window in the middle of the night, I need to avoid charging in a small peak rate window during the day. The peak hours for the Time of Use electric service plan in my geographic area are 2:00pm to 6:00pm from 1-Jun to 30-Nov and 4:00pm to 8:00pm from 1-Dec to 31-May. Since I tend to forget these dates, I have redefined the peak hours window from 2:00pm to 8:00pm.

I consider my preferred charging hours to be 8:30pm to 6:30am. I don't activate the Precool/heat feature since I am retired and don't start driving the car at the same time every day.

Compared to the intuitive Tesla charging configuration the Porsche approach is overly complicated and somewhat klunky. Tesla simply requires two data points - the target SoC and either the scheduled charging start time or the scheduled departure time. The concept of minimum charge does not exist in the Tesla world.
Yep, noone on this forum is going to defend the Porsche implementation for this rudimentary stuff - their offering is essentially "pish", as we say in these parts!

Last edited:

Silveral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Doesn't sound rig

Yep, noone on this forum is going to defend the Porsche implementation for this rudimentary stuff - their offering is essentially "pish", as we say in these parts!
oh ok. Thats good to know. I will ask the dealer. Thanks

OP
OP
madeyong

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
No, not for me. This is the only way to guarantee my charge level, charging start and end times within my off peak (low cost) electricity period can be controlled and as I have two geographically disparate home charging locations the profiles auto select without further intervention.
I now think I understand what @Jhenson29 means. Your location based profiles, @W1NGE , are setting the minimum target charge for those locations to immediately charge to for when you plug in below that level. However, the part of the profile where you select preferred charging times is irrelevant if you also have a timer set because the car disregards the preferred charging times altogether and just starts charging whenever it needs to in order to satisfy the timer, whether that is before or after your preferred window. I have not verified that happens in my case but if it does then that makes sense and the preferred charging times is only useful if you want to go to 100% during that window and don’t need a timer. In practice, I think this behavior of only looking at the timer does not impact many people needing the preferred charging times much because by definition you will be at least 25% SOC when the main charge begins and, with a common morning timer, most of that charge is happening during when most people have their reduced rates (but not necessarily for the whole charge).

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I now think I understand what @Jhenson29 means. Your location based profiles, @W1NGE , are setting the minimum target charge for those locations to immediately charge to for when you plug in below that level. However, the part of the profile where you select preferred charging times is irrelevant if you also have a timer set because the car disregards the preferred charging times altogether and just starts charging whenever it needs to in order to satisfy the timer, whether that is before or after your preferred window. I have not verified that happens in my case but if it does then that makes sense and the preferred charging times is only useful if you want to go to 100% during that window and don’t need a timer. In practice, I think this behavior of only looking at the timer does not impact many people needing the preferred charging times much because by definition you will be at least 25% SOC when the main charge begins and, with a common morning timer, most of that charge is happening during when most people have their reduced rates (but not necessarily for the whole charge).
No, sorry, not irrelevant but necessary to charge within my off-peak window. The 'hard stop' in the departure timer ensures there is no overrun and the preferred window in the profile ensure the charging session occurs within the window either using some or all of it as necessary depending on the SOC at the start of the session.

OP
OP
madeyong

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
No, sorry, not irrelevant but necessary to charge within my off-peak window. The 'hard stop' in the departure timer ensures there is no overrun and the preferred window in the profile ensure the charging session occurs within the window either using some or all of it as necessary depending on the SOC at the start of the session.
Fair enough. As you said, life’s too short (or something to that effect). I just find it interesting. I guess an easy test would be to do a location based profile with preferred charging times of say 11PM-2AM but with an 85% timer set for like 9AM. Plug in with an SOC above the minimum target in the profile but not too high that it can reach 85% during the preferred window. I guess @W1NGE is saying that the car would charge from 11PM-2AM to make sure it took advantage of that preferred window and then stop and likely start again at some point before the 9AM timer to reach 85% on time (rather than wait until 3AM to do the whole 26%-85% in one shot)?
Sponsored