First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Ok guys so finally got the cojones to install the rear fitcamx šŸ˜‚

I basically pushed in the cable through the roof liner , down the A pillar then through the door weatherstrip, top of B pillar then through rear window weatherstrip and back. Finally tucked it over the 3rd light liner and done. Youā€™re going to have a lot of cable left over just tuck it inside rear top liner.
Took about 20 min without taking anything off just using a plastic tool and a credit card.

You can see a little cable showing in some areas but since everything is black you canā€™t really notice in person.
The cable is pretty thick to tuck but it doesnā€™t look bad at all.

Sorry about the pictures hopefully they can help. The pictures are not uploading in order so I had to number each one.
B76D6261-4A06-4877-8FEE-DB667421DF05.jpeg
4D8D2DCB-02F5-4CB4-B1B7-DD6628D3E9A8.jpeg
EEBC36F4-2280-4813-973A-5B25D006923C.jpeg
DE178754-DA1B-49F4-8D47-C02E6E7A4E09.jpeg
7C677980-7C90-4781-BF8A-F2AE815D527C.jpeg
16E418A9-E622-44A5-A05F-B7FB0B9EA7CF.jpeg
A5F9A3BA-E234-4DFB-80C0-132E0F472092.jpeg
86C07A24-5049-4D67-BB68-8514F4925A8B.jpeg
1C16857C-C6F1-4FDE-845A-B694F0666B06.jpeg
BCF64615-B989-4274-9E7D-40353AF848B1.jpeg
I applaud you for successfully running the cable from front to rear butā€¦ there are airbags in the A pillar and along the entire length of the roof. I would worry about negatively impacting their functionality during an accident with that routing. The only clean way I can see of running this wire is down the A pillar behind the airbag, across the bottom of the car in the lower door trim, and back up to the roof near the rear seat back.

I was able to pry back the top of the A pillar and pop out 1 of the clips that holds the pillar on. I peeked inside and saw the airbag in there. Maybe this weekend Iā€™ll be brave enough to try and pop the whole pillar off. I pulled the outside top corner of the passenger A pillar towards the steering wheel to safely pop that top clip off. I think the pillar will fully pop off by tugging the rest of it in the same direction.

Taycan101

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I applaud you for successfully running the cable from front to rear butā€¦ there are airbags in the A pillar and along the entire length of the roof. I would worry about negatively impacting their functionality during an accident with that routing. The only clean way I can see of running this wire is down the A pillar behind the airbag, across the bottom of the car in the lower door trim, and back up to the roof near the rear seat back.

I was able to pry back the top of the A pillar and pop out 1 of the clips that holds the pillar on. I peeked inside and saw the airbag in there. Maybe this weekend Iā€™ll be brave enough to try and pop the whole pillar off. I pulled the outside top corner of the passenger A pillar towards the steering wheel to safely pop that top clip off. I think the pillar will fully pop off by tugging the rest of it in the same direction.
A little wite has no impact on the airbag, on an accident that wire will just fly off.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag

Look forward to your update if you remove the entire A pillar cover. I have done it on many BMWs but like you proceeding cautiously on the Taycan. I usually feed cables behind the air bag in the A pillar and then through the roof lining at the bottom edge so below the air bag but looking at the trim in the Taycan CT I think it may be easier to come all the way down to the door cill and along the bottom as it is easy to tuck a cable under the cill trim by compressing the carpet.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I applaud you for successfully running the cable from front to rear butā€¦ there are airbags in the A pillar and along the entire length of the roof. I would worry about negatively impacting their functionality during an accident with that routing.
A little wite has no impact on the airbag, on an accident that wire will just fly off.
Everyone's got their own appetite for risk, but I'm with @Hirschaj on this one. That wire is crossing over the one curtain airbag (supplied by a single gas generator) in at least two places (near the A and C pillars).

I know my insurance company (CHUBB) well enough that they wouldn't be happy with it.

From the Porsche docs they supply to rescue services:

Porsche Taycan Fitcamx dashcam installation Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 08.59.53

Full doc attached.

Attachments

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
You might be right. I honestly donā€™t know. There is also the risk to the occupants of a wire hitting them at the speed of an airbag deployment. I donā€™t want to risk that. Something to consider.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
No, I did it myself.
I'm about to do mine. As I understand it, there's some kind of tab that has to be removed to get the middle piece out. Do you have any pics/details from that?

Did you twist off the rearview to do the install, and if so did you remove either of the two smaller trim parts before you did it?

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Another question: what does the "camera" button on the device do?

mcdermottm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB EQE SUV 350+, ā€˜23 Taycan RWD coming soon
Country flag
I'm about to do mine. As I understand it, there's some kind of tab that has to be removed to get the middle piece out. Do you have any pics/details from that?

Did you twist off the rearview to do the install, and if so did you remove either of the two smaller trim parts before you did it?
Derek, did you get the rear camera, too? If so, Iā€™d be interested to see if you route it differently than the OP.