Peter Kelly

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 2S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
So changed my profile to delete pre heat in the morning. Then missed a security call from Vodafone saying an attempted break-in (there wasn't). Battery at 0.1% according to them.

Came back to the house, car is as dead as a dodo. Looks like 12v battery dead rather than main battery (as it was charged to full) and I just took it off charge before I left.

Call Porsche Assist - Couldn't get through to AA so had to be referred to them via Porsche UK.

So AA coming out presumably to take car to dealership. Saves me I suppose as it was going in tomorrow to fix a faulty charging port.

Is it beyond Porsche to protect a 12v battery when there are 1300 laptop sized batteries under the floor?

Answers on a postcard.
Sponsored

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
<postcard sent>

OP
OP
Peter Kelly

Peter Kelly

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 2S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
So can I just say what a good job by the AA. Got it opened, then frunk then charged 12v battery. QED and all fixed. Good job Mr Guthtrie from the AA.

Then had to drive for an hour he said - so not the worst.

PK

snb7x

First Name
Bertie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan S, Z4 3.0i Conv, VW Golf & Taycan Turbo (awaited)
Country flag
So can I just say what a good job by the AA. Got it opened, then frunk then charged 12v battery. QED and all fixed. Good job Mr Guthtrie from the AA.

Then had to drive for an hour he said - so not the worst.

PK
Love a “happy ever after” ending to a sad story, so I do, so I do!
(Being told to go drive for an hour in a Taycan has to be the most wonderful task to justify to local police if stopped during Tier 99

Bobby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Love a “happy ever after” ending to a sad story, so I do, so I do!
(Being told to go drive for an hour in a Taycan has to be the most wonderful task to justify to local police if stopped during Tier 99
Great to hear you are mobile again. Did Mr Guthrie tell you why the battery had gone flat in the first place?

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
So changed my profile to delete pre heat in the morning. Then missed a security call from Vodafone saying an attempted break-in (there wasn't). Battery at 0.1% according to them.

Came back to the house, car is as dead as a dodo. Looks like 12v battery dead rather than main battery (as it was charged to full) and I just took it off charge before I left.
What's interesting about this (if I follow correctly) is that you were able to change a timer setting while the vehicle was connected to the charger. I thought Porsche updated the Connect app to disallow this (due to changing timer or profile while connected to the charger being suspect in the 12V saga). If indeed that's what happened, it's possible that action began the 12V phantom drain that leads to 12V battery death, and the fact that you were able to disconnect the charger (which requires 12V to release the cable lock) and close the power charge port cover (if your vehicle is equipped) says that it wasn't (yet) dead at that time, but the 12V drain may have been ongoing and disconnecting the charger didn't stop it - or just coincidentally, your 12V battery had lost almost all of its charge before the safety relay disconnects it - and the actions of disconnecting the charger, closing the port, and waiting until you returned were enough to get it the rest of the way. It's not known if whatever causes that 12V phantom drain stops when you disconnect the charger or only when the vehicle is started.

As for why the main traction battery doesn't recharge the 12V battery, it does. However there seems to be some sort of a counter that limits the number of times this is done while the vehicle is off. After that limit, if the 12V drain continues, the 12V is allowed to drain to the relay cut-off point. This is conjecture reading some other threads and I certainly have no idea what the limit might be or why it is seemingly so low. My best guess on the low limit is that the phantom drain is unexpected.

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Sorry, newbie here, so the 12v battery is the normal car battery on most cars. This is completely drained dead by changing a profile or timer via the app? Correct? So, if I don’t change timer or profile in the app all is good in the world?

Sorry to hear about your subsequent slip/slide incident!
Sponsored