Flat Tire in Carmel!

rcs1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Targa GTS
Country flag
Yesterday, my wife and I were driving in Carmel, CA on Highway 1 when we hit a pothole at about 50mph, and got that sudden sinking feeling as the front tire started to rapidly deflate.

Fortunately (very fortunately) we were close to a driveway, and we were able to pull in away from the flow of traffic. Doubly fortunately, we were about 100 yards before T-Mobile coverage gave up completely.

Unfortunately, Porsche Monterey service department is closed at the weekends. So, while our car has been flatbedded there by 1-800-PORSCHE, we don't know when we're likely to be able to get hold of a new tire and start moving again.

Does any forum-er know of a tire place in the Carmel / Monterey / San Jose area that might have a Continental 265 / 35 R 21 101 H M S? And (ideally) be able to fit it on a Sunday?

Thanks, Robert
Sponsored

YWGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo, BMW i8, and EQE 500 4Matic
Country flag
Continental 265 / 35 R 21 101 H M S
Sorry to hear that. Just happened to one of my vehicles a few weeks ago. Given the size and profile of the tire, there's a chance it may not be stocked with any of the installers. In which case, you may wish to contact Priority Tire or Tire Rack to see if they can express ship to a local installer within the Carmel/Monterrey/San Jose areas. Another alternative is to contact one of the Porsche dealers to see if they have the specific tire on hand and whether they can either help you out or refer you to an installer. Good luck!

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
It looks like you were able to get a charge from Big Sur. Did you take advantage of the Tesla Tap that daveo4EV left for you at the hotel? As far as the tire, if you damaged the tire badly enough that it was towed to a dealership, you probably damaged the rim. I would have the dealer check everything when they open on Monday. Fyi, as far as the replacement tire if it is available many of the dealers will match or come close to the price advertised by Tirerack.com

OP
OP
rcs1000

rcs1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Targa GTS
Country flag
It looks like you were able to get a charge from Big Sur. Did you take advantage of the Tesla Tap that daveo4EV left for you at the hotel? As far as the tire, if you damaged the tire badly enough that it was towed to a dealership, you probably damaged the rim. I would have the dealer check everything when they open on Monday. Fyi, as far as the replacement tire if it is available many of the dealers will match or come close to the price advertised by Tirerack.com
I did!

I have been in contact with Dave over personal email - I should have updated the thread to show my appreciation for him there

T-Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan CT4, 23 911T, 24 Rivian R1S, 71 BMW 2002
Country flag
This is a pretty heavy car with large wheels and thin sidewalls on most of the specs. I went for the mission E wheels on my turbo so I’m guilty as charged. For years I’ve gotten always with large wheels but I’m betting my luck is going to run out with the Taycan and am strongly considering wheel and tire insurance for the first time.

Scott Allen

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 911 Carrera S Cabriolet, 2017 Range Rover HSE, 1967 Camaro RS/SS 396
Country flag
I seem to always curb a wheel in the first month of ownership of every car. Friday I stupidly went through a bank drive through lane that was narrow and managed to scrape both passenger wheels, the front worse than the rear, neither too bad. I did call the dealer and have an appointment. next week to have them repaired. fortunately I did go for the insurance but it still ticks me off (my stupidity). NO MORE drive throughs of any kind!!

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I seem to always curb a wheel in the first month of ownership of every car. Friday I stupidly went through a bank drive through lane that was narrow and managed to scrape both passenger wheels, the front worse than the rear, neither too bad. I did call the dealer and have an appointment. next week to have them repaired. fortunately I did go for the insurance but it still ticks me off (my stupidity). NO MORE drive throughs of any kind!!
Thinking about the insurance.

What would the cost of those repairs be without insurance? Thanks

Scott Allen

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Apparently the repair cost is only a couple hundred dollars per wheel. The dealer said a couple hours to repair. We'll see how it looks when they are done next week.
I think the insurance is worth it though.

Scott Allen

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My 2 passenger wheels were repaired this week and the result was amazing! Two hours and they look like new! I had the insurance so no cost, but the retail iOS $130/wheel. Not bad!

diesel

First Name
Valérie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo s
Country flag
there are worse places to get stuck , I was in Carmel 2 years ago and just loved it.
Sorry for your bad luck but enjoy the scenery.

MTM2012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo, '19 Cayenne Turbo
Country flag
Thinking about the insurance.

What would the cost of those repairs be without insurance? Thanks
I was quoted $2,500 for 5 years of protection for the wheel/tire package. I opted out. You essentially have to destroy a wheel or 2 requiring replacement for it to be worth it. Replacement tires (at least at my dealer) come with a 2 yr road hazard warranty. Even with the wheel/tire package, there is a $50 deductible per tire for replacement. The math just didn't work out for me. I would rather just buy as needed. Been lucky thus far with my other cars not needing to replace the wheels. Of note, I did get a flat tire in the Taycan first week of ownership... Costs to repair curb rash are negligible.

mike-taycan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
FYI, Pricing for wheel/tire protection is very negotiable. Have seen it down to $1500.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Apparently the repair cost is only a couple hundred dollars per wheel. The dealer said a couple hours to repair. We'll see how it looks when they are done next week.
I think the insurance is worth it though.
Having already curbed two passenger side wheels I can tell you it was $325/wheel (pre-tax) to get them repaired. I went to the Dealer in Bellevue WA but they used a group called SameDay USA. They have locations in several parts of Washington and Oregon and can be reached at SameDay-USA. Hope you guys don't need them, but ...

Note to self - Should look into wheel and tire insurance...

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Having already curbed two passenger side wheels I can tell you it was $325/wheel (pre-tax) to get them repaired. I went to the Dealer in Bellevue
Did you pay Same Day or did you pay Porsche Bellevue? Which tires do you have? $325 is outrageous for a curbed wheel and I've had Porsche 20" wheels repaired for under $150 here to pristine condition.
Sponsored