BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
That looks like a 911 CS wheel, almost identical to mine when we ran over a big rock in the middle of the lane. I was told by discount tires to never use a fix a flat can. He showed me the inner rim after the tire was removed, and all of that gunk was stuck on it. He says they couldn't balance it any more and was trying to scrape it all off. I didn't stay 'til the end so was not sure if they could scrape all of it off, but it was a lot.
My understanding was the porsche goop rendered the tyre unusable. I know porsche don't want you to repair them, so it is immaterial as far as they are concerned. But i always repaired mine after the guy at a trusted tyre shop laughed his head off when i asked for a new tyre when mine had a nail in it. After that i was happy to repair on my 997, panamera, etc with no issues.

However, the fix a flat type stuff I've bought (Holts tyre weld) is water soluble and can just be rinsed out - apparently. Fortunately i've never had to use the stuff, just had slow punctures and managed to get to the tyre shop. But i'd definitely use it whatever if i was stuck on a motorway in the dark etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Holts-LOYH...eywords=holts+tyre+weld&qid=1650894045&sr=8-3
Sponsored

swhsv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
That looks like a 911 CS wheel, almost identical to mine when we ran over a big rock in the middle of the lane. I was told by discount tires to never use a fix a flat can. He showed me the inner rim after the tire was removed, and all of that gunk was stuck on it. He says they couldn't balance it any more and was trying to scrape it all off. I didn't stay 'til the end so was not sure if they could scrape all of it off, but it was a lot.
And if you zoom in a bit you can see that the sidewall was completely destroyed so spray goop was never an option, good or bad. New wheel and tire.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
And if you zoom in a bit you can see that the sidewall was completely destroyed so spray goop was never an option, good or bad. New wheel and tire.
Agreed no sealant is going to fix that tire or mine. I was talking about those fix a flat cans in general since that was brought up previously as something to have as backup.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My understanding was the porsche goop rendered the tyre unusable. I know porsche don't want you to repair them, so it is immaterial as far as they are concerned. But i always repaired mine after the guy at a trusted tyre shop laughed his head off when i asked for a new tyre when mine had a nail in it. After that i was happy to repair on my 997, panamera, etc with no issues.

However, the fix a flat type stuff I've bought (Holts tyre weld) is water soluble and can just be rinsed out - apparently. Fortunately i've never had to use the stuff, just had slow punctures and managed to get to the tyre shop. But i'd definitely use it whatever if i was stuck on a motorway in the dark etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Holts-LOYH...eywords=holts+tyre+weld&qid=1650894045&sr=8-3
Agreed with using it over being stuck in dark or bad side of a city. I also bought a tire repair kit, which I'd attempt to use before the spray can though.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag

Thanks for the link.

I have just ordered a couple of those. 👍

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I stuck with all season 19 inch tires as others have said to get some more sidewall. I've had two flats so far due to nails. The inflatable spare from my Cayenne fits my car with standard brakes so I bought one from a recycler. It eats up some trunk space but I don't care. Got a scissors jack from Amazon.
Porsche Taycan Flat Tire Disaster / Taycan 4S / NY cayenne spare on Taycan.JPG

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Last night, I experienced a flat tire on my relatively new (600mile driven) Taycan 4S. Learning experience - here. Any do’s and don’t for another time ? I did lose an entire day so hopefully I can find a way to avoid this.

Time: 1:15am
Location: New Jersey, right before entering tunnel for New York City
Speed: 60mph

I was heading home & all of a sudden, saw the tire pressure sign. It was dark but high way lights were enough and I definitely didn’t see any pothole/etc. Car alert system was activated. But even at that speed there was no loss of balance. I didn’t want to be stuck in the tunnel, so I took an exit and as I could drive, put the car in parking on a roadside parking. The passenger side tire was flat. I have the Mission E wheels, so atleast the rim was fine.

The Good. Why ? Because punctures happen but the car wasn’t stuck in the middle of the highway or lose balance. I was able to park it.

The bad: Called Porsche Road side assistance. They took all the details and the agent said they will get me a tow truck in max 90 minutes. after 90 minutes they said they were still looking to find a tow company. Every time there was a new agent, the previous didn’t leave clear notes and they were all from China. Then I called my insurance. They took details and they still haven’t got back to me with a Tow truck detail. After waiting there for 3 hours, the cops came by, because they saw I was parked on the wrong side of the road. They suggested I get my own tow company or I’ll be waiting there till the morning. So I got a tow company that still took an hour to come. Then called Porsche roadside and they said to take the car to manhattan motorcars(my dealer and service center) as there’s a night drop off. They said they’d reimburse me for the tow service.

The car is low. Quite a panic to put on a flat bed. Yes, no regular towing and no spare tire. I couldn’t see where the tire was damaged from but even if I knew, what could I do ? See video. Should I have lifted ? How ?

We got to Manhattan motors at 5am. No drop-off. i park in the basement of a lot, so I could not take it there. I got it dropped off there and I parked in front of the service entrance. The tow truck had to leave. They could take back the car and put in their storage till service center opens mon am. But porsche roadside wasn’t taking responsibility of damage, as it wasn’t their dispatcher. So it was my call. I parked the car there. Unauthorized parking in NYC gets towed. So I literally sat in the car and then called roadside again. They had conveniently closed my ticket. Then after a heated battle, the agent told me if I left my car there and it got tow’d, it would be my fault. she suggested waiting for their tow company and letting them store the car. This was at 6am. Then the tow company called me at 7:30 that they’d come in an hour :( It seemed stupid to me, to tow again. Plus the showroom would open at 11am. I emailed Manhattan Motorcars and texted my sales agent. (unwillingly as it was early morning sunday). He called me back right away and said to park the car at the service door and come back at 11am to door the keys. Did so.

Below are the pictures. But what a disaster. Why don’t we have a spare tire in the Taycan ? What should I have done differently ? What if I was away from the dealer ?

Porsche roadside assistance - 0/10
Progressive Insurance - 0/10

Atleast dealer and cops made up for it !
Take a look at this thread I recently posted as a possible future solution :
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...e-tire-on-porsche-usa-site.10572/#post-152574

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Porsche roadside assistance is garbage.

For these types of situations, trying AAA usually works.
There's also the odd hotel that offers AAA discounts, so it's a no-brainer to get a membership.

As for a spare wheel: where are you all planning on sticking that? It's not like this car has ample storage in the trunk or frunk...

jkoya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan CT4, 23 Mini Cooper SE on order
Country flag
Does the Taycan come with a jack in the US ? I have seen some YouTube videos showing a jack in the frunk, but they were videos from Europe. Thanks.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
the fix a flat will get you going again but at a price of ruining the tire, if you like the OP get a flat at an off hour or in a remote location the fix a flat can get you going again.
however the fix a flat stuff is not a panacea, it will not help if the rim is damages or the flat is caused by something more than a puncture in the tread area. so I would always keep a can handy but only use it in dire circumstances.

OP
OP

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
That’s really unfortunate! Sorry about that. In my experience with Porsche Roadside Assistance, it was really good. Had a flat tyre, driver’s side, called PRA and within an hour a tow truck came and had fixed it.
I think PRA in North America is pretty bad.

OP
OP

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
Real nightmare story. Without considering all the safety risks that come with it. Glad you’re ok. Ultimately, it’s just a car and the way I see it, at 2am I leave it there and whatever happens, it’s going to be tomorrow’s problem.
True - but couldn’t leave car in an unknown neighborhood. Even the cops suggested to tow

OP
OP

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
Was the puncture too bad to use the emergency goop/pump combination to get you home or do you not have it? It's an optional extra in the UK.

I optioned it, but I have also bought a can of type weld for about £15 and i suspect that will be much easier to use than the Porsche supplied combo which looks a bit of a faff to say the least.

Anyway, sounds like you had a bit of a nightmare. Hope they have some spare tyres in stock for you (I don't think the dealers will fix a puncture). Good luck.
I think there is - but i have no idea how to fix. And don’t know if it would be safe after

OP
OP

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
OP, why didn’t you just use the goo patch kit in the frunk? Could have been back on the road in 30 minutes unless it was a sidewall issue.

Also, get AAA or just call a truck yourself next time. Roadside assistance always sucks.
So I have to learn how to use that. I was also unable to find where the tire was punctured from. Sercice center told me it was a hole

buhhy

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo S, Lexus IS350
Country flag
You just inject it into your tire via the air nozzle, then inflate, drive around a bit, then inflate again. The goop fills the hole from the inside. I wasn't aware that it completely destroyed the tire, but I can imagine it making a major mess in the tire.
Sponsored