Flat tire. Things to consider.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I don't carry spares in my cars in the US, but we once imported a Toyota Sienna Minivan into the Republic of Panama back when the kids were young and before Toyota started selling Siennas in Panama (I still don't think they do). The Minivan had run-flat tires, so no spare or jack or anything, and my wife managed to blow out the run-flat so badly on the way to one of the beaches in Boquete near the border with Costa Rica (pretty rural) that you couldn't drive. I was in the US so not much help, and they didn't have a single tire that would fit the Sienna in all of Panama, so took about a week to get the vehicle going again. Since then, we have a full-sized spare in the Sienna. Yes, it takes up space and is a pain, but he reassurance of not being stuck in rural parts of Panama without any prompt way of becoming mobile again is worth it. But ciaranob, I agree with others that you probably could live without the donut in the US given the availability of replacements and road side assistance.
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
For the Taycan I think it might be more about the spare+jack taking up space in the trunk. If it nicely fit in the frunk, I think more people would opt for one. For all cars though, the cellphone proliferation is probably what changed it. Spare was a lifesaver in days without cell phones, today less so given you can call roadside assistance from almost anywhere. Btw, even roadside assistance guys will tow your car off a highway before putting on a spare. I had a blowout in a 911 once, called Porsche roadside assistance, and that is exactly what they did (I had a donut for the 911, it was 20 years ago).
the big issue is that if you have trashed the tire a suitable replacement may not be available where you are and could take days to arrive.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
the big issue is that if you have trashed the tire a suitable replacement may not be available where you are and could take days to arrive.
Yes it is an issue, so is where to store the spare, and if your spare is not full size, where to store the full size wheel/tire after taking it off. I wonder whether or not a Taycan sedan could even fit a full size rear tire in its trunk when it's empty, definitely not if it is packed for a trip. Leaving the old tire on the side of the road is probably not a great idea either.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
From what i understand, the porsche goop renders the tyre un-repairable. Over the counter aerosol tyre-weld kits don't. I have both, but I'd definitely try the over the counter stuff first as it seems to be a lot less hassle. That and it's a lot cheaper.

As for the plug kits, they look interesting, not clear to me if the proponents use then for permanent repairs or just get me homes.

NuJerzPorsche

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yeah I’m not riding around in the US with a spare lol. Too many places available to get towed to immediately

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
From what i understand, the porsche goop renders the tyre un-repairable. Over the counter aerosol tyre-weld kits don't. I have both, but I'd definitely try the over the counter stuff first as it seems to be a lot less hassle. That and it's a lot cheaper.

As for the plug kits, they look interesting, not clear to me if the proponents use then for permanent repairs or just get me homes.
A plug done right is a permanent repair.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

A plug repair may or may not be permanent depending upon the type/location of damage and the intended use of the tire (although for use on street cars, the degradation should have no impact since you shouldn't be exceeding even the degraded ratings).

The issue here is that the plug would be a "temporary fix" to get you back to a garage where a professional could review the damage and the repair under more suitable conditions.

I view the plug kit as interesting because it is light and could, maybe, help you under limited circumstances, but I think those circumstances are very, very narrow. Most damage that is ideally suited for plug repair comes from nails/screws/puncture type holes. These typically, although not always, result in relatively slow leaks that provide warning. In modern cars with TPMS, you would have to be oblivious to not be able to get somewhere before you would need to repair on the side of the street with a plug. The type of damage that typically leaves you stranded is too much for a plug. And yes, the goop typically renders a tire unusable, and it is meant as a last resort.

The biggest danger from my perspective around any roads with any traffic whatsoever is getting hit by other drivers. It's why I tell my wife/kids to call roadside assistance even though we all know how to change/fix a tire: it is not worth the danger. Target fixation by drunk drivers or simply cr@ppy drivers results in many accidents that kill people, so I'm not taking any chances.

Might be different in rural areas . . . but the plug, although useful only in limited circumstances, might be worth carrying since it doesn't weigh much and you would be happy to have it.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
The biggest danger from my perspective around any roads with any traffic whatsoever is getting hit by other drivers. It's why I tell my wife/kids to call roadside assistance even though we all know how to change/fix a tire: it is not worth the danger. Target fixation by drunk drivers or simply cr@ppy drivers results in many accidents that kill people, so I'm not taking any chances.
Absolutely agree. I certainly wouldn't try and change a wheel on a motorway or very busy road. That said, the self propelled foam does seem good compromise, just screwing it on and pressing to inflate - A quick way to get off the busy road without a lot of fiddling around or standing near a live lane. Certainly the multiple phases of using the porsche system only seems safe for a flat returned to in a car park.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
A plug repair may or may not be permanent depending upon the type/location of damage and the intended use of the tire (although for use on street cars, the degradation should have no impact since you shouldn't be exceeding even the degraded ratings).

The issue here is that the plug would be a "temporary fix" to get you back to a garage where a professional could review the damage and the repair under more suitable conditions.

I view the plug kit as interesting because it is light and could, maybe, help you under limited circumstances, but I think those circumstances are very, very narrow. Most damage that is ideally suited for plug repair comes from nails/screws/puncture type holes. These typically, although not always, result in relatively slow leaks that provide warning. In modern cars with TPMS, you would have to be oblivious to not be able to get somewhere before you would need to repair on the side of the street with a plug.
Pretty much everything you said here is either irrelevant or wrong. I’m guessing you haven’t plugged a tire before. Or had many flats.

The plug kit is the same thing a tire shop would use to plug your tire. If the puncture is in a location where it is safe to repair and the damage is not too large (which is probably 90% of the time), a plug is a safe, permanent solution. I probably wouldn’t track a plugged tire, but for street use, it’s fine.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Pretty much everything you said here is either irrelevant or wrong. I’m guessing you haven’t plugged a tire before. Or had many flats.

The plug kit is the same thing a tire shop would use to plug your tire. If the puncture is in a location where it is safe to repair and the damage is not too large (which is probably 90% of the time), a plug is a safe, permanent solution. I probably wouldn’t track a plugged tire, but for street use, it’s fine.
I will not take your bait.

Plugging a tire on the side of the road under far from ideal conditions is simply not the same as being in a shop where you can inspect properly. Maybe the plug would be permanent or maybe it would not, but you would have to be a flaming imbecile to think that if you have a flat that is so bad you can’t limp home that you can plug by the side of the road under less than ideal conditions without immediately taking it to a shop for full inspection.

And yes, I have plugged, repaired and changed several tires

in my first line I said the plug may be permanent. But I don’t think you have a reading comprehension problem, I think you enjoy trying to stir up faux debates online. Good for you. Have fun

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There is a dog basket in the centre of the tyre where the bird is perched!
I though it was a nest for the pet bird which gets strapped in a harness when driving.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Even professional roadside assistance will tow you off the highway before changing the tire. Even if a tow requires a flatbed (awd vehicles usually).

OP
OP
Capt Mike

Capt Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan4S. 2017 Macan S
Country flag
It is truly very straight forward - a lot of angst amongst many on the forum over this it appears who fear that somehow this car is that radically different to an ICE car in this respect. Yes its heavier and yes you need to be mindful of the battery, PCM config etc., but there are numerous rated portable jack options to safely lift a corner of this vehicle (have a thread on this with examples), but indeed to each their own.

I just personally can't fathom the idea of sitting around waiting on a tow truck when all thats required is swapping a wheel out to get you to the nearest full replacement. Not meant in any way as a criticism just a bit baffling having changed tires on and off (a lot!) road for 40 years w/o any issues and most def not depending on a 3rd party to show up :)!
AAA and Porsche Help are the only way to go. We paid for them. So use them.
Sponsored