simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Nice to see this "petrol pump" layout taking hold too.
I’d prefer a pull though lane style approach that they do at some Fastned sites or the Gridserve Electric Forecourt approach. But it’s a step in the right direction.

Building 6-post sites in 2023 (with no easy expansion) is also very shortsighted. They need to build more 12, 16 and 24 post sites like Tesla otherwise they will get even more left behind than they already are.

The Village Hotels announcement was a step in the right direction even though I’m not totally convinced the geographic spread is ‘right’ around the UK.
Sponsored

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Agreed
Better arrangement than before but needs queuing system.
6 NOT enough.
Usually only 4/6 working and 2 more blocked.
One with something rubbish with max rate of 50kw/hr and another one with someone insisting on going all the way to 100%.

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
One with something rubbish with max rate of 50kw/hr and another one with someone insisting on going all the way to 100%.
yes exactly. At Ionity I keep coming across EV drivers who are charging to 100% very slowly and who have no idea that their journey would be faster if they stopped at 70-80% and charged again down the road.

May I suggest we all write to Ionity and encourage them to address this? I got quite a positive response to my suggestion that they focus on driver education and signage as a way to relieve some of the congestion issues in the UK (although the real solution is a combination of more stalls and better software, like Tesla’s which alerts and bumps down the charge limit to 80% at busy stations). Even just an educative sign or two on the busiest chargers could make a big difference.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Building 6-post sites in 2023 (with no easy expansion) is also very shortsighted. They need to build more 12, 16 and 24 post sites like Tesla otherwise they will get even more left behind than they already are.
It has been reported earlier that the Tesla chargers are only 1/5 of the price of the Ionity chargers. So I guess the costs alone will make it a difficult decision to build 24 on one site as a start. But agree with you that they do need to have allowed for a rapid expansion if necessary. I have seen many sites now on my travels that started with 4 to 6 chargers and now are expanding the numbers, which is needed and very welcome.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
The middle one is Corwen INSTAVOLT with a useful number of 120kw/h chargers.
This is the one I use because I prefer a pretty route to dual carriageways.
It is the only one I have found and on Anglesey, where my daughter lives 50kW is max (or 2.1kW at her house…)

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
This is the one I use because I prefer a pretty route to dual carriageways.
It is the only one I have found and on Anglesey, where my daughter lives 50kW is max (or 2.1kW at her house…)
Anglesey is a lovely island (we used to holiday every year in Aberffraw as a kid).
But it is very poor for EV charging. Especially considering the number of cars going for Holyhead ferry.

We quite often have a drive out to Newburgh / Rhosneigr / Moelfre if we fancy a walk and some sea air.

Luckily, we can get there and back if I put it on 100% charge the night before, as its about 115 miles each way.

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
You'd think they could do something smart with this...

Assuming they also have 130-150kw chargers on the site, if a car with that as their ceiling plugs in at a 350kW one and the lower rated are available, warn the user to go to one of those, otherwise an additional per minute charge will apply.

They could do similar with people wanting to charge to 100%...note an extra per minute charge for 85%-100%

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
You'd think they could do something smart with this...
good idea - did you write to IONITY customer service and tell them? They do listen to suggestions and if enough of us push them on bottlenecks that could be fixed with signage or software they might take up some ideas.

Frankcan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4 S
Country flag
I visited the Belfast site (Kennedy Centre, Andersonstown Road) about an hour ago, 13 chargers ! wooHoo
The engineers were still commissioning it, they said it goes live tonight! (29/02/24) the rates are disappointing though compared to my home charger

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I visited the Belfast site (Kennedy Centre, Andersonstown Road) about an hour ago, 13 chargers ! wooHoo
The engineers were still commissioning it, they said it goes live tonight! (29/02/24) the rates are disappointing though compared to my home charger
30p @ IONITY is at the lower end of the scale compared to the likes of Instavolt, Gridserve or Shell for instance. Though I agree that ultra rapid prices across the board in the UK are too high.

MrBlueSky

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Good news and a decent number of chargers. I’ll check it out the next time I’m passing. Out of interest, did you notice what facilities were close to it (Costa etc)? I know it’s on/near the Kennedy Centre but, I was wondering if there’s anything close to the charging site itself?

Frankcan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4 S
Country flag
Good news and a decent number of chargers. I’ll check it out the next time I’m passing. Out of interest, did you notice what facilities were close to it (Costa etc)? I know it’s on/near the Kennedy Centre but, I was wondering if there’s anything close to the charging site itself?
Yes, its a good size centre, theres a Costa inside on the ground floor, a large food court on the first floor and a Tim Hortons in the car park, anchored by Sainsbury's and lots of all the usual shops