Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
When I got my MY2020 Taycan delivered in October, the Porsche-recommended SoC to charge the battery to on normal days (i.e. no long roadtrip shortly after charging) was 85%. If I am not mistaken, the forum members with MY2021 Taycans reported that for their cars the recommended SoC is now 80%. Assuming that it is still basically the same big battery, this would mean that Porsche is getting more cautious with its charging recommendations. Also the new post-update option to avoid the highest DC charger speeds points in that direction. Today, I modified my General Profile setting to charge to 80% instead of 85%. Am I too cautious myself? Of note: I do not lease my cars but buy those outright because I typically drive six, seven or even eight years with my cars, so I do want lasting battery performance.
Sponsored

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don't think you are being too cautious especially if you own the car and plan to keep it. The battery warranty provides little comfort for diminished capacity and the risk factors for lithium ion batteries are well publicized.

It would be helpful to see the results from a proper battery capacity test from time to time to get a clearer picture as to how they actually perform over time.

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
When I got my MY2020 Taycan delivered in October, the Porsche-recommended SoC to charge the battery to on normal days (i.e. no long roadtrip shortly after charging) was 85%. If I am not mistaken, the forum members with MY2021 Taycans reported that for their cars the recommended SoC is now 80%. Assuming that it is still basically the same big battery, this would mean that Porsche is getting more cautious with its charging recommendations. Also the new post-update option to avoid the highest DC charger speeds points in that direction. Today, I modified my General Profile setting to charge to 80% instead of 85%. Am I too cautious myself? Of note: I do not lease my cars but buy those outright because I typically drive six, seven or even eight years with my cars, so I do want lasting battery performance.
I have a 2020 and used to charge to 85%. Based on the new instructions I now charge to 80%. I don’t really need the range of 85% most of the time so this is fine and I’m guessing that Porsche updated the guidance for a reason.

PT Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Same here. I do 80% but as a carry-over from mistakes I made from my Tesla days. Most of the places I drive to, have superchargers spaced less than 80% SoC from each other. I also time it. I gently drive the car when I first leave and just before I arrive at the next charger. Aggressive in between.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I only do 80%, as well. I also try not to charge until under 20%.
Charging every day is better for battery degradation. More frequent shallow charging is better than less frequent deep charging.

PT Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Charging every day is better for battery degradation. More frequent shallow charging is better than less frequent deep charging.
Yeah, I read somewhere that for Li-ion-based batteries, it is recommended to top off the battery once it has dropped below 10% of its starting level, thus your shallow charging...

GOG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes CLS63 . Range Rover Sport
Country flag
so what is the minimum % we shouldn't go below and we have to charge our cars on it

jmi91

First Name
Jean-Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi RS5 Convertible, Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
so what is the minimum % we shouldn't go below and we have to charge our cars on it
On the owner manual, I found that:

Porsche Taycan General Profile at 80% or 85%? 1620657834315

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
you should not let the car sit at a low SOC, I would seek a charger whenever the car is going to sit at below 20% soc.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
On the owner manual, I found that:

1620657834315.png
This is poorly written. It’s not suggesting you wait until the SOC is below 5% to charge, but rather sitting below 5% can be harmful and you should charge ASAP.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is poorly written. It’s not suggesting you wait until the SOC is below 5% to charge, but rather sitting below 5% can be harmful and you should charge ASAP.
Yes. Letting the car sit at a low state of charge has been left out of the discussion which has focused on the car sitting at a high state of charge.

jmi91

First Name
Jean-Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi RS5 Convertible, Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Yes you are right.
I think that the minimum SOC should be 25% as suggested on the default profile.

Porsche Taycan General Profile at 80% or 85%? 1620666867178
Sponsored