amazing

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'99 540i, '20 Merc Sprinter 4x4, 21 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I took delivery of a 4S in June. I started realizing after my build had already been frozen that I probably could have found a 2020 Turbo for a similar discount you are being offered. I agree with most of the cost-benefit analysis people are offering in this thread, but one thing that hasn't been mentioned is the delivery delays, and I would say that is relevant in the decision because it might be a long time to wait to take delivery of a new build.

As far as power difference between 4S and Turbo, I suppose I have some 'what if' concerning extra power from the turbo, but at the same time I have 1000 miles on my 4S, a lot of which where on windy B-roads in the Appalachian mountains, and the car is fast and has a lot of power (you will easily be able to get a reckless driving ticket with a 4S if you are not careful!). To me the biggest difference between the 4S I built and a Turbo is that mine is lacking Carbon Ceramic Brakes, and stopping an over-5000 lb vehicle when driving fast on curvy roads with hairpin turns I've already experienced some brake fading.

I'm content that I built exactly to my specs a 4S instead of buying 2020 Turbo off a lot at discount. However, if I ever get another Taycan I will probably order a Turbo, unless they come out with GTS variant, etc.
Sponsored

PorscheGG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Macan GTS, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I bought a 2020 brand new Turbo a couple months ago and got about $40k CAD (about 33k USD) off. You can probably get another 5-10k off if you find something similar in the market and negotiate as if you’d be willing to walk away.

Even though mine was technically a 2020, it was a September 2020 car so barely missed the 2021 cut off. I wanted maximum performance within my budget of about 180k CAD. I’m a bit biased but I would say go for the Turbo, you’ll love the speed and handling with PDCC.

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I was in the same place you are, either a new 4S or used Turbo. Since I could find a Turbo with all options I "needed" and some more and didn't wanted to wait many months and negotiated a decent discount (18%), I went for the Turbo and was driving it one week later :cool:

Came home the first day with only 6 km/4 miles battery left :oops: and a smile on my face from ear to ear :D

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911 Targa 4S, MachE
Country flag
My input: I will point out that the 2020 suffers from many “first year model” issues. My 2020 Turbo has been back to the dealer 6 times in the first 10,000 km for various fixes. It finally seems to all be fixed. Also, the Turbo is more power than most people need. Buy the 22 4S and pick the options that really matter to you for your use case.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
To me it's a no-brainer: order the 2022 4S. And don't lease either. Order precisely the car you want without making compromises. The 2022 will have appreciable advantages in tech and build quality, perhaps subtle over 2020, but significant and you'll be getting a Taycan that Porsche will have refined and made better, more reliable and ultimately, a higher resale value should you decide to trade-in 3-5 years hence. Porsche’s least terms are downright awful and you'll be throwing money down the drain if you lease, that is unless someone else is paying that lease.

Last edited:

im85288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
A slightly different perspective is what I am in the midst of doing. I currently have a Tesla model 3 performance and test drove the 4S last month. I came away from that thinking hell yes I want a Taycan but the 4S is not fast enough. So I kept configuring the Turbo vs 4S and no matter what I came up with I do not want to give up on some options for the extra acceleration I would get with the Turbo.

My solution to all this is fairly simple, when I hand back my Tesla at the end of its lease in October I’ll be driving an old BMW 1 series whilst waiting for my Taycan to be built. This will then get me used to a car that is much slower in acceleration so the 4S will feel super fast when I finally get it.

Having said all that (and I do have an order in for a Taycan CT 4S), my dealer has also put me on the list for a GTS which they say will be released (but no definitive date yet)…so I’ll jump on that if it becomes available before I need to lock my build.

ChalkTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan
Country flag
Has the car being registered and the warranty has already started two years ago? Also, can the demo qualify for the federal and state tax rebates? What is the exact out of pocket cost different between the demo turbo and new 4s?
If it is my decision, if the car has never been registered and the cost difference is less than 25k, I would go for the turbo. If it is more than 25k, I would opt for the 4s with the options that I can pick and choice. I feel there is no wrong choice here.

OP
OP

Gunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E63S
Country flag
Has the car being registered and the warranty has already started two years ago? Also, can the demo qualify for the federal and state tax rebates? What is the exact out of pocket cost different between the demo turbo and new 4s?
If it is my decision, if the car has never been registered and the cost difference is less than 25k, I would go for the turbo. If it is more than 25k, I would opt for the 4s with the options that I can pick and choice. I feel there is no wrong choice here.
Never been titled, so I can get the tax rebate. Warranty was punched 2 months ago.

Price difference between the turbo and a moderately spec'd 4S is $10-15k

Agreed, no wrong choice here.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
I'm not a fan of black cars at all so I understand your concern. Imo it hides the lines of any car.
Get the Turbo as it has many options standard. The extra HP will make a difference as well.

You need at least 20% off and you will get the $7500 FIT rebate
4s is a about 4% higher residual for the lease

Problem is the used car prices are unreasonably high right now.

PorscheGG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Macan GTS, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My input: I will point out that the 2020 suffers from many “first year model” issues. My 2020 Turbo has been back to the dealer 6 times in the first 10,000 km for various fixes. It finally seems to all be fixed. Also, the Turbo is more power than most people need. Buy the 22 4S and pick the options that really matter to you for your use case.
No guarantees any of the issues will be resolved for 2022’s. With the number of 2021’s on the forums having issues, I don’t believe it really matters if you buy at 2020 vs. later model. With the software updates up to this point and recall updates coming soon, I don’t believe there is going to be any difference.

Reactions: KTC
OP
OP

Gunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E63S
Country flag
The other confounding factor is that I am on somewhat of a time crunch. My current lease ends early December. My gut tells me I will not get a custom 2022 by December given all the recent delays. So I guess it comes down to the 2020 turbo or an off the lot 2021

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The other confounding factor is that I am on somewhat of a time crunch. My current lease ends early December. My gut tells me I will not get a custom 2022 by December given all the recent delays. So I guess it comes down to the 2020 turbo or an off the lot 2021
I honestly believe your heart wants the Turbo for the extra power, and you just need us in this forum to approve your choice so you feel better spending more on a used car than buying a new one.

So go for it. If I was you I would walk into the dealer and I would tell them "if you sell it for X I will buy it right now, tell me where to sign", where X is 20% off.

OP
OP

Gunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E63S
Country flag
I honestly believe your heart wants the Turbo for the extra power, and you just need us in this forum to approve your choice so you feel better spending more on a used car than buying a new one.

So go for it. If I was you I would walk into the dealer and I would tell them "if you sell it for X I will buy it right now, tell me where to sign", where X is 20% off.
In my heart I do want the turbo, but my logical mind knows that I don't need it. Hence why I'm not considering buying one without a significant discount.

I LOVE my e63s. One of the best cars I have ever owned. But to be honest, most of that power is wasted in daily commuting. It is nice to have whenever you want to open it up, however often that may be. I feel like that would be the case with the turbo.

ChalkTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan
Country flag
Never been titled, so I can get the tax rebate. Warranty was punched 2 months ago.

Price difference between the turbo and a moderately spec'd 4S is $10-15k

Agreed, no wrong choice here.
If it is me, I will get the turbo. I test drove both and the performance difference at lower speed was significant.
Sponsored