First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCrossT.992 Turbo S.Audi S3 8Y, MG Midget
Country flag
Hello community,

I currently drive a C8 Audi RS6. I have had the car for 18months and LOVE it! But that being said I commute circa 35miles a day and do around 1000 miles a month so fuel is costing a fair chunk. Overall average is 21.8mpg during ownership.

I have been considering a car that is cheaper to run but still makes me smile and has the performance (aka the GTS sport tourismo) but is cheaper to run…. Given the running costs of the RS6 its rarely used for trips beyond 150 miles.

My maths make the Taycan about £500 per mont cheaper across fuel, tax, insurance and warranty (rs6 soon to be 3 and I wouldn’t dare run without)

My wife has a diesel Range Rover velar and we have a dog who isn’t allowed in my car lol. So all longer trips are done in that car. Im also going to get a 7kw charger installed at home.

I have found a great GTS at a good price and the deal is likely to conclude tomorrow…..

Perhaps the wrong place to ask but am I making a mistake here!

Thank you. All advice / thoughts welcome!
I went from x2 RS4 to a Taycan 4S cross Turismo. Wish I had my Audis back but financially a no brainer.
Sponsored

• Wow
Reactions: B61

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Thank you so much for all of the comments! All very useful.

Yes they’re a great looking car; but so is the RS6. I want to move on but it’s hard from the Audi (hence this thread)!

With regard to depreciation I have done the maths and I’m comfortable - it’s not new - it’s very nearly new and is at a 36% discount! Furthermore the WBAC price is only a couple of grand less than I’ll be paying for it - for now anyway!

If you’re buying any £100k+ car it’s going to depreciate like a brick - EV or no

I could do salary sacrifice - BUT this has to be a new car and therefore it’s full price cars - this is where depreciation kicks in as the monthly salary loss on a 4s would actually be much more than the payments on the GTS. Oh and you can’t order a GTS at the minute anyway.

I’m a bit of a geek - I like the idea of scheduled charging to get the cheap rate etc…..

Next step is to drive the car. I did a long term loan with a turbo and to be honest I’d say that was ‘too’ fast.

Exciting times!
You will absolutely love it. Once you have concluded the deal please can you share more details on the deal....
I've had a 4S CT for 15 months now and it has been fantastic. I'm keeping an eye on GTS ST deals and might be persuaded to change if the numbers work 🤔

Randylip

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 taycan
Country flag
I now have my Taycan 2 years Although I do not drive that far daily, it is an absolute pleasure to drive and above all I just plug in the car , in my garage, whenever needing a charge. If you have a garage and can easily charge the car, no brainer. Being in FLorida, US, my electric is cheap. You should find out how much it will cost to charge your car after doing the 70 or so miles per day. I can pay $31.00 a month unlimited charging at night from electric company, if I wanted to take advantage of doing that way. Do the math first, but it should be a lot cheaper than paying for gas.

OP
OP
Longy_UK

Longy_UK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Do the math first, but it should be a lot cheaper than paying for gas.
Math is complete. I'll save £327.18 ($415) a month on fuel alone. This allied with cheaper insurance, no tax (for now) servicing etc and the fact come summer I'd need to start an extended warranty on the RS6 the savings are not insignificant!

For me even the tyres on the Taycan will be cheaper than im used to...

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
You are right.
it’s much cheaper.
I have done 50,000 electric miles in the last 4 years in Audi Etron and 2 Taycans.
Petrol is £7 a gallon in UK ($9ish!!)
20mpg in an RS6 would cost £17,500

99% of my Charging is at 7p per kw hr
Occasional Ionity 30p or even very occasional Shell at 70p offset by free destination charging on holidays.

Electric cost is £1,500

Fuel in UK has no tax benefits so those are real net costs.

The biggest cost electric OR petrol is depreciation.

Depreciation for me on the 3 electric vehicles in that time is £70,000.
Because of tax benefits that is a cost to me of £35,000
Total cost £36,500
Servicing is cheaper too.

Running 2 equivalent petrol cars (one of them an RS6 - the other a Q5?) would have to be private costs in UK and the total of £17,500 fuel plus depreciation on 2 cars over 4 years will probably be far in excess of £70,000 so the electric cars are cheaper like for like even if you are not eligible for the tax fiddle. If you are eligible it’s a no brainer.
In the UK at least.

Dave Birch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s cross turismo
Country flag
Thank you so much for all of the comments! All very useful.

Yes they’re a great looking car; but so is the RS6. I want to move on but it’s hard from the Audi (hence this thread)!

With regard to depreciation I have done the maths and I’m comfortable - it’s not new - it’s very nearly new and is at a 36% discount! Furthermore the WBAC price is only a couple of grand less than I’ll be paying for it - for now anyway!

If you’re buying any £100k+ car it’s going to depreciate like a brick - EV or no

I could do salary sacrifice - BUT this has to be a new car and therefore it’s full price cars - this is where depreciation kicks in as the monthly salary loss on a 4s would actually be much more than the payments on the GTS. Oh and you can’t order a GTS at the minute anyway.

I’m a bit of a geek - I like the idea of scheduled charging to get the cheap rate etc…..

Next step is to drive the car. I did a long term loan with a turbo and to be honest I’d say that was ‘too’ fast.

Exciting times!
Charging my 4sct at 7p per kwh on Octopus means 220 ish miles in this spring for £7. Charge on the journey unless at Ionity or Porsche means 10 times more typically.

to be honest no one spends £100 k to get cheap fuel. My 4s is plenty, plenty fast enough and is better for my licence.

go for it!

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Charging my 4sct at 7p per kwh on Octopus means 220 ish miles in this spring for £7. Charge on the journey unless at Ionity or Porsche means 10 times more typically.

to be honest no one spends £100 k to get cheap fuel. My 4s is plenty, plenty fast enough and is better for my licence.

go for it!
It is not the main reason but it is part of the big picture, like cheaper servicing, added to the huge tax incentives.
It is so sweet paying 3p per mile for fuel rather than 35p per mile.
I am Octopus too.

Ionity with the Porsche contract is only 4x the cost at 30p. Others are 10x the cost if Ionity not convenient. I might pay this once a year

I also love the free charging at posh hotels and restaurants. My favourite spots in the North West and Lake District are Northcote and Forestside with their Michelin Stars.
I always play the game by arriving with less than 10%. A bit of fun.
Hotel Torridon also a gem up in Scotland.
My Lake District holiday rentals always have free charging too!

It all adds up and is meaningful to a tight northerner like myself.
There is no way I could afford to have a 100k petrol car and run it privately.

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST, VW EOS, 71 & 72 VW Camper
Country flag
I have a GTS ST and love it. We also have 2 dogs. I had an X5 before this. I would say go for it but don't frget the depreciation is probably higher than an RS6.

Art

First Name
Arto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T 4S, 997 C4, Willys MB, 628 CSiA, ST4S, 750 Paso
Country flag
But if you get bad cards your car may spend 3 months in service waiting parts or technicians without any estimate when it will run again.
Meanwhile you pay insurance costs and the yearly 320 € payment for your cellular network connection. You also need to pay 1 k€ yearly to extend your parts warranty insurance or take the risk to pay N x 10 k€ of the needed parts.
My 4S was driveable last time before christmas (2023).
Sorry to spoil this..

evo3.2

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mk1 GTI, M3 Evo, Volvo T8
Country flag
I put a deposit on a Taycan in January, was really looking forward to it, my first Porsche, car had 10,000 miles on it. Needed to go for a software update before I could have it, something went wrong during the update and as of this morning still no date for the dealer getting the car back. They had no date for the parts arriving from Russia of all places.
I got my deposit back today, from dealing with Porsche service i'm completely turned off the brand, I've never seen such rubbish service. The final nail in the coffin was if it happens again I was told you can't have a replacement car even though it's under warranty.
I would of bought new only for the amount on Autotrader, nearly 800 now. Couldn't come to terms with that kind of depreciation. I've made peace with my Polestar tuned T8, it doesn't corner like the Taycan but service and reliability matter to me and Porsche have fallen well short of my expectations.

OzzieT

First Name
Oz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Go for it. Effective 3-phase home charging is really important. Many have installed the Porsche charger, I went with the Tesla Wall Connector.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Next step is to drive the car.
Are you saying that you didn’t drive Taycan yet?
If that’s correct, just take it to the drive…and you’ll never (ever) miss Audi RSwhatever :angel: :giggle:

OP
OP
Longy_UK

Longy_UK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Are you saying that you didn’t drive Taycan yet?
If that’s correct, just take it to the drive…and you’ll never (ever) miss Audi RSwhatever :angel: :giggle:
No i have had a turbo CT on weekend loan. Loved it.

Just a general point on depreciation. I can only assume that many complaining here paid full sticker (or more) for their Taycans during the delays and hysteria. In that instance I can appreciate the disappointment of losing £50k in a year etc etc.

That being said, unless the GTS im buying will be worth £30k at three years old with 30k miles on (which I highly doubt) I don’t see the depreciation as anything other than perfectly normal for a car of this value.

As I say, I’m buying at £45k under list at three months old with 300 miles on the clock…

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Understood.
I have (just) CT4, my21, bought new, with lots of options for 141k € and i’ll keep it at least for another three years for sure.
Maybe even more.
I don’t care for depreciation…life is too short, but i do hope that my next car will be Taycan, again. :rock:

wilho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster 986, X5, iX1
Country flag
Depreciation will be a much larger expense than fuel.
But it isn't bigger with Taycan than Audi RS6?

<off-topic>
I find it somewhat funny that Taycan depreciation is compared to 911. People should compare that with other sport "family" cars, like BMWs, Audi's and Merc's. Especially now when the supply has normalized
Sponsored