Hesitation during gear shift

TaycanNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Coming from a Tesla, I have to say that the gear shift is more noticeable than I thought it would be. I haven't experimented with it enough, but it seems like there is a difference in the shift timing depending on the mode you are in (normal, sport, sport plus). I've found that when I'm in normal mode and I come onto the highway at 30-40mph and then put the accelerator all the way down, there can be a significant hesitation in power during the shift. It also seems like the shift happens at different speeds and different points during acceleration, I'm not sure why that would be - before I drove the car I assumed it would always be at low speeds as it was mainly for the fast launch ability combined with better accelerations at high speeds.

The smoothness of the transmission is one of the main appealing factors of an EV for me so this is a bit of a negative for me. I already find myself looking forward to the second generation Taycan and I've only had the car for a month.

Is this normal? Is it affected by the modes? Is there a way to always start the car in Sport Plus mode?
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I think this is very normal! If you ever have driven say a BMW M5 in the different modes you will notice the same. If you are in Sport Plus mode things will be much sharper than on the other modes.

What is your surprise with this?

OP
OP
TaycanNJ

TaycanNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think this is very normal! If you ever have driven say a BMW M5 in the different modes you will notice the same. If you are in Sport Plus mode things will be much sharper than on the other modes.

What is your surprise with this?
I think everything with this transmission is a surprise as it has never been done like this in an EV. To me, it seems like a bit of a compromise from Porsche. I would be surprised if they don't find a way to eliminate multiple gears in the next generation or maybe even with the release of the electric Macan.

Either way, I guess it just becomes part of the startup process to turn the mode select two clicks to the right for Sport Plus. I tend to do it after I pull out of my driveway as I need the suspension higher, and i find that the shift occurs while changing from normal to sport plus and the hesitation/stutter that occurs varies depending on speed while changing modes.

Minor annoyances in an otherwise amazing vehicle.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have not noticed it at all in Sport or Sport Plus but I'll never drive the car in Normal.
I think everything with this transmission is a surprise as it has never been done like this in an EV. To me, it seems like a bit of a compromise from Porsche. I would be surprised if they don't find a way to eliminate multiple gears in the next generation or maybe even with the release of the electric Macan.

Either way, I guess it just becomes part of the startup process to turn the mode select two clicks to the right for Sport Plus. I tend to do it after I pull out of my driveway as I need the suspension higher, and i find that the shift occurs while changing from normal to sport plus and the hesitation/stutter that occurs varies depending on speed while changing modes.

Minor annoyances in an otherwise amazing vehicle.
They certainly won't eliminate the transmission, it has significant benefits & they've invested a lot into it, but they will likely make it smoother in normal mode.

Then again, I advise against ever driving a Porsche in normal mode. Ever. Even with the Taycan it's Sports, S+, or Range for me.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In Range mode, the car won't use first gear at all. No shifts.
Ironically, it'll be more shift happy in sport plus as it tries to maximize your torque at all times.
but at lower speeds it'll probably stick to 1st gear all the time

remember this is only the rear motor. the front motor is always active, and never shifts and is providing full power even during the shift. You never have a moment of reduced power like an ICE car with the clutch engaged

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Coming from a Tesla, I have to say that the gear shift is more noticeable than I thought it would be. I haven't experimented with it enough, but it seems like there is a difference in the shift timing depending on the mode you are in (normal, sport, sport plus). I've found that when I'm in normal mode and I come onto the highway at 30-40mph and then put the accelerator all the way down, there can be a significant hesitation in power during the shift. It also seems like the shift happens at different speeds and different points during acceleration, I'm not sure why that would be - before I drove the car I assumed it would always be at low speeds as it was mainly for the fast launch ability combined with better accelerations at high speeds.

The smoothness of the transmission is one of the main appealing factors of an EV for me so this is a bit of a negative for me. I already find myself looking forward to the second generation Taycan and I've only had the car for a month.

Is this normal? Is it affected by the modes? Is there a way to always start the car in Sport Plus mode?
Just like @PanameraFrank said, drive the car in Sport mode. I noticed too the hesitation in normal, and that the car is really quick in Sport mode. If you think about it, your Tesla was probably set in "sport" not "Chill" mode too...

The most irritating part is that the car does not remember the driving mode I left it in, nor is there a way to start in a pre-defined mode . It stubbornly goes back to Normal so I have to change each time. My Merc did the same - back to "Comfort" no matter what.

I also think my car has a case of early Alzheimer. Half of the times it forgets to adjust the mirrors until I push the memory button, half of the times it does it on its own...... Considering there is only one profile saved, and I am the only driver, it should probably not be that confusing

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
I, too, was annoyed coming from a Model 3. Pushing down the Taycan accelerator seemed sluggish in Normal, what I've been referring to playfully as 'turbo lag'. After discovering this didn't happen in Sport and Sport Plus I'm constantly switching to the latter every time I get it to drive.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I also think my car has a case of early Alzheimer. Half of the times it forgets to adjust the mirrors until I push the memory button, half of the times it does it on its own...... Considering there is only one profile saved, and I am the only driver, it should probably not be that confusing
Do you use the same key every time? Our Audi links profiles to individual keys.

Fletch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4S, ‘21 Defender 110
Country flag
will try Sport mode and see how that goes. I'm pretty surprised and how harsh the shift is when you gun it in Normal mode. it starts to go, then hesitates, and then slams into a new gear and jumps. def not the smooth experience it should be.

Stoneageman

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I don't think of this as a con but rather a pro. This is the car giving you feedback. For example, Tesla had lack of feedback in terms steering and acceleration other than the initial punch. Taycan has way more driver feedback on the steering and the gear change is just your car giving you feed back aside from gforce. I appreciate it rather than despise it. Driving a tesla was so damn boring because it literally is just iPad on wheels. This car had more emotions than tesla any day of the week. Though I used to be more of a petrol head so that might be a reason why I like these things.

bosbruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Boxster S, 2022 Taycan 4S, 2023 Tesla Plaid S
Country flag
I, too, was annoyed coming from a Model 3. Pushing down the Taycan accelerator seemed sluggish in Normal, what I've been referring to playfully as 'turbo lag'. After discovering this didn't happen in Sport and Sport Plus I'm constantly switching to the latter every time I get it to drive.
Me 3 :). While I enjoy the Taycan 4S overall more than my Model 3 AWD+ (actually a Performance but sold as AWD in the Dec 2018 desperate Tesla push, later boosted with Ingenext 50hp+ dongle), that stupid transmission is a low point for me on the Taycan 4S (followed closely by really bad climate control interface) ... High points of great handling, build quality, electric sound, and massaging seats do make up for it as I just put the car in Sport mode all the time and take the 10% range hit...

bosbruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Boxster S, 2022 Taycan 4S, 2023 Tesla Plaid S
Country flag
I don't think of this as a con but rather a pro. This is the car giving you feedback. For example, Tesla had lack of feedback in terms steering and acceleration other than the initial punch. Taycan has way more driver feedback on the steering and the gear change is just your car giving you feed back aside from gforce. I appreciate it rather than despise it. Driving a tesla was so damn boring because it literally is just iPad on wheels. This car had more emotions than tesla any day of the week. Though I used to be more of a petrol head so that might be a reason why I like these things.
I agree mostly here, love the handling/feel (and electronic sports sound) of my Taycan 4S compared to Model 3 AWD+. I've had 20+ petrol cars but always got 5 speed or 6 speed manuals for any of my performance cars because I hate never met an automatic or dual clutch transmission I like. I wish the Taycan just put a bigger motor in the back and could stick to a single gear (probably a bit harder than for Tesla as more Taycan owners might be driving 150mph+ for extended periods on the autobhan)... Or made it a manual transmission or at least a fully manually controlled auto. I think Porsche had to rush the Taycan out the door with pieces they had available like reusing the same motor front and rear but putting a 2 speed to help out, and they did a great job for that but hopefully next version they ditch the 2 speed to make it a "fully connected, always-in-the-right-gear EV" as my 6 prior EVs have been.
Sponsored