First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Anybody experienced this?

Charger is in doors and within the Porsche cabinet. The outlet is dedicated 40A circuit. It was evening - garage temp was roughly 70F - feels like a charger fault but the dealership didn't understand it and wanted to blame the operator (me).

There advice was to lower the amperage, which didn't sit right because it was within spec.

Porsche Taycan Home Charger - Fault Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 1.48.23 PM
Sponsored

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
Weird. I think someone in this forum has experienced this previously. If you do a search you might find the thread + answer. Good luck. The Porsche charger is a very finicky / sensitive unit.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Open the box and allow everything to cool. Unplug and re-plug if needed to get it to work again. Start charging. Use your hand with the box open and feel the 14-50 plug and the pigtail between the plug and PMCC itself. If the pigtail is starting to heat up at the plug only at first (vs. the whole pigtail or the PMCC unit itself), you may have a poor quality 14-50 receptacle that's causing high resistance and turning the plug and pigtail into a nice space heater in a small enclosed space. If the whole pigtail is heating up equally (vs. starting at the plug), or the PMCC itself is heating up, you will have to leave the box open or decrease the charging current. It's pretty though when closed.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW XI/Taycan 21 4S
Country flag
Weird. I think someone in this forum has experienced this previously. If you do a search you might find the thread + answer. Good luck. The Porsche charger is a very finicky / sensitive unit.

I have had the same problem when charging at 40 Amps(maximum setting of the Porsche charger) in south florida where it is hot in the summer.I downtuned the the Porsche charger to 32 Amps and the problem is resolved.Charging at that amperage is still at 6.5 Kwatts

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
It has been discussed in other threads that PMCC in the US market uses an undersized #10 AWG wire that shouldn't be used for more than 30A and Porsche has not yet upgraded it.
To prevent overheating you should reduce max current in the PMCC settings. As others said, lower the max current. Personally, I set it to 25A because I don't need faster charging.

OP
OP
Skilly

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It has been discussed in other threads that PMCC in the US market uses an undersized #10 AWG wire that shouldn't be used for more than 30A and Porsche has not yet upgraded it.
To prevent overheating you should reduce max current in the PMCC settings. As others said, lower the max current. Personally, I set it to 25A because I don't need faster charging.
is the recent update with faster charging (I had thought 100A) their attempt to solve for their engineering mistake?

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
is the recent update with faster charging (I had thought 100A) their attempt to solve for their engineering mistake?
The recent update has nothing to do with home charging speed.
PMCC is max 40A. There is no 100A

OP
OP
Skilly

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
I might be missing something - the recent update noted a 19.2kwH charging rate, which runs an 80A system. If it's really the same, how are they running this kind of current without burning up?

https://shop.porsche.com/us/en/porsche-wall-charger-connect/p/$B-HCHH0LAA/HCHH0LAA

Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 2.10.59 PM.png
s
That is a new EVSE (“charger”) that Porsche came out with that is capable of charging at 19.2 kwH only IF you have the 19.2 charger specd in your car AND you can add an 80 amp circuit to your electrical panel at home.

OP
OP
Skilly

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
That is a new EVSE (“charger”) that Porsche came out with that is capable of charging at 19.2 kwH only IF you have the 19.2 charger specd in your car AND you can add an 80 amp circuit to your electrical panel at home.
Well Im guessing that its hard to get 80A from a 40A - my panel has the room for the circuit. That said, I cant imagine that in this new release, it's the same pigtail on the plug side. So, Porsche has solved this overheating problem and they just released it in a new product.

My car has had the software update so it acts like a 2021 (wireless carplay; auto charging at EA etc), and it has the 19.2kWH option so perhaps its plug and play. In speaking with my dealer, while these are on a wild backorder list, they are part of the proposed fix and they have opened an RO for the issue.

All this said, I gotta say what a completely dumb design from Porsche. This is where Tesla got it right. They issue a 100A option and you scale it back with dip switches. The car is built to take 100A level one charging if the user sets it up. Porsche at the very least, should offer a pigtail replacement for their design flaw - and should have provided a service bulletin, if not a full recall notice.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
All this said, I gotta say what a completely dumb design from Porsche. This is where Tesla got it right. They issue a 100A option and you scale it back with dip switches. The car is built to take 100A level one charging if the user sets it up. Porsche at the very least, should offer a pigtail replacement for their design flaw - and should have provided a service bulletin, if not a full recall notice.
The PMCC for the US is in the interior just that same as we have in Europe. The only difference is the pig tail connecting to the appropriate socket.

My PMCC gives me 22 kW wit a 400 volt 3 phase supply. Standard CEE plug here and then I can scale back by the display to what ever amps I want. The difference is that in the US a single phase is very common. So no DIP switches required and you can easily change that with a few taps on the display. My car can only handle 11 kW unfortunately and I would have loved to have the 22 kW option since there are a lot of these AC chargers in central Stockholm.

OP
OP
Skilly

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The PMCC for the US is in the interior just that same as we have in Europe. The only difference is the pig tail connecting to the appropriate socket.

My PMCC gives me 22 kW wit a 400 volt 3 phase supply. Standard CEE plug here and then I can scale back by the display to what ever amps I want. The difference is that in the US a single phase is very common. So no DIP switches required and you can easily change that with a few taps on the display. My car can only handle 11 kW unfortunately and I would have loved to have the 22 kW option since there are a lot of these AC chargers in central Stockholm.
Well, the PMCC prior to this one has a software limitation on the level of Amps at 40A. There are dip switches for this new design (see the installation manual). My point in mentioning the newer release and its capacity is that it undoubtedly has a more capable pigtail to handle that charge; maybe direct wiring.

80A going through the current pigtail would light your house on fire.
Sponsored