Home charging help

n4ronin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
So I recently picked up my 4S and had an electrician install wiring to support up to NEMA 14-50. However when the car was ordered the SA selected NEMA 14-30. When charging I am getting really slow charging almost ~5kw/h. I just received a "Get to know your Taycan" email which says comes standard with a NEMA 14-50 plug. Should I probably go back to the SA and get a NEMA 14-50 plug? The NEMA 14-50 is not even an option online when ordering a new Taycan. Any help or insight is appreciated.

Porsche Taycan Home charging help Get to know your Taycan
Sponsored

mikeva

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Base
Country flag
Couple of things to me...

First if you have 14-30 plug I did not think that would even plug into a 14-50 socket so I am confused as to how you are getting any charging at all.

Second, I trust your NEMA 14-50 is at the end of a 50amp run from your junction box with the wiring appropriate for a 50 amp circuit.

If the second item is true then I would go back to my SA and tell them to get me the right plug for my unit.......

OP
OP

n4ronin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Socket is 14-30. I had the electrician do the wiring to support 14-50. I will go back to the SA and get the right plug. The electrician said he would just come back and replace the 14-30 with the 14-50 socket since the wiring is already done.

Couple of things to me...

First if you have 14-30 plug I did not think that would even plug into a 14-50 socket so I am confused as to how you are getting any charging at all.

Second, I trust your NEMA 14-50 is at the end of a 50amp run from your junction box with the wiring appropriate for a 50 amp circuit.

If the second item is true then I would go back to my SA and tell them to get me the right plug for my unit.......

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
14-50 is ”standard” equipment which is why it’s not listed as an option - ask the SA to let you keep the 14-30 supply cable as a “thanks for playing due to our incompetence” prize - it’s a $150 supply cable and is useful while traveling sometimes should you need to charge your EV from a 14-30 plug away from home…

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
5kW is about right for “at the car” for a 14-30.

Electrician should be swapping out breakers between 14-30 and 14-50 also. Not just the receptacle.

It’s $115 for the 14-50 supply cable on suncoast. Should be about the same price through the dealership.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/skuhybg2nema1450.html

Assuming OP signed off on spec sheet, I’m not sure there are grounds to ask for free cable.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag

Electrician should be swapping out breakers between 14-30 and 14-50 also. Not just the receptacle.

It’s $115 for the 14-50 supply cable on suncoast. Should be about the same price through the dealership.

Assuming OP signed off on spec sheet, I’m not sure there are grounds to ask for free cable.

It just stinks the dealers do this crap without checking with the consumer. For first time EV owners, you often just don't know what you need, but I'm not sure why they would randomly chose a 14-30.

One person at my dealership tried to get me to pay the obnoxious premium for the Porsche Mobile Connect, and asked "how are you gonna charge your car without it", and didn't seem to believe me when I told them the car already came with a mobile charger and 14-50. Nevermind any type of home EV charging system will work, including a Tesla charger with the right adapter.

It's like ignorance on both sides creates headaches for everyone.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
It just stinks the dealers do this crap without checking with the consumer.
I had to sign off on my original spec sheet and additional spec sheets when there were changes. So, I’m not sure that the dealer did this without the customer knowing.

I don’t mean any offense to the OP though and if the dealer somehow did this without their consent, then I agree they are owed a cable.

One person at my dealership tried to get me to pay the obnoxious premium for the Porsche Mobile Connect, and asked "how are you gonna charge your car without it", and didn't seem to believe me when I told them the car already came with a mobile charger and 14-50.
My dealer told me the PMCC was a required option if I selected the 19.2kW charger. Yes, a 40A EVSE is required if I option an 80A charger.

It's like ignorance on both sides creates headaches for everyone.
Yes, I agree, that’s the real problem. But how to solve? It’s easy to throw blame on the dealer, but realistically, consumers are going to have to be minimally educated in this area to make informed decisions that best fit their needs.

I knew better that I didn’t need the PMCC, had the dealer look into it further, and correct their original claim. Had I not, I may have ended up purchasing it.

My dealer also tried talking me out of the 19.2kW charger, especially when the plug and charge issue came to light and my order hadn’t froze yet. But, I understood what the option was and how I intended to use the vehicle. The 19.2kW charger was far more valuable to me than P&C, so I left it on the spec. Had I been less knowledgeable, I may have removed it or not even added it in the first place.

I’ve been thinking of creating an interactive website to teach electrical basics (what I think is the minimum for people getting into EV ownership). But time is tough right now. Especially at the end of the year at work. Early spring is usually slower for me.

Side notes:
  • The 19.2kW option’s usefulness is specific to my use of the vehicle and is typically not needed by the average buyer, so my remarks are not intended to imply people who didn’t option that are not knowledgeable.
  • My dealership was and has always been great to work with and my comments are not meant to reflect negatively on them. Rather, they serve as an example of the larger problem of ignorance in this area.

OP
OP

n4ronin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag

Thanks. This is all new to me so I am fine eating the 115 cost if that's what it is. I am not going to fight or blame the dealer for not knowing. I should have done my own homework as well.
Sponsored