How did your friends react to the car ... ?

Leverage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Hi All, First time buyer of a Porsche (totally fell in love with the CT4S when test drove the car). If all goes well I should get the car in January 2023. As the deadline approaches I'm starting to think about how other people will react to the car. I know I shouldn't give any importance to it but still...

Many of my friends aren't used to buy +130k cars, let alone a Porsche.

I've already had comments such as: "That car is definitely not worth that price tag" or "Electric is not the futur, your car will depreciate so fast", "Tesla does it better (lol)", etc... I feel like there will be a lot of negativity surrounding the car from people around me.

I'm wondering if other people did face similar situation and how they dealt with it.
Sponsored

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Hi All, First time buyer of a Porsche (totally fell in love with the CT4S when test drove the car). If all goes well I should get the car in January 2023. As the deadline approaches I'm starting to think about how other people will react to the car. I know I shouldn't give any importance to it but still...

I've already had comments such as: "That car is definitely not worth that price tag" or "Electric is not the futur, your car will depreciate so fast", "Tesla does it better (lol)", etc... I feel like there will be a lot of negativity surrounding the car from people around me.

I'm wondering if other people did face similar situation and how they dealt with it.
For “negativity” read “jealousy”. Just ignore it and enjoy the car. Some will be genuinely interested but others can’t stand the fact that you can afford it and they can’t. Oh well

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Your actual friends will be happy for you…especially if they understand vehicles as a passion.

The key for each of us is to not show up like many new EV owners who believe they are superior humanoids for having made the switch.

This my 2nd vehicle that tops $100k. I try to downplay that part of it because it really doesn’t make sense outside of the pure passion aspect.

Last edited:

Parlorman

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Seriously, my close friends know I am a car guy. I’ve had sports cars since the 1970’s including a couple of E-Type Jaguars, a 1966 Shelby Mustang, an Alfa Romeo, BMW M3 and a BMW 650i. They all are excited about the CT 4S and happy for me. Some folks don’t get my love for cars and don’t understand why someone would spend six figures on a car. I think many of them see cars as appliances.

The only really negative reaction was my (now) ex-wife. I’ve been battling an aggressive prostate cancer for a couple of years. So far, the prognosis is good, but one never knows. I decided I wanted a new car, built to my specifications and I wanted to go EV. The Taycan CT was the perfect car for me. When I first broached the subject with her she was supportive but then she did a 180 and told me we were too different and that she wanted a divorce. This was all a few weeks before I started two months of daily radiation treatment.

The car certainly didn’t cause the divorce. My ex-wife is a very unhappy person and I’m much happier now. The Porsche certainly helps!

Last edited:

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
1. Debadge (especially the words "electric", "GTS" or "Turbo")
2. Don't talk money (the average person will expect a Porsche to be more expensive than average, but without being interested enough to configure one, I doubt someone would realise just how much more expensive)
3. If still necessary, find better friends
...that said, since I retired, I find myself in the company of fellow car enthusiasts or people who have no real interest in cars, and neither of those groups has generated any negativity.
You might get unsolicited compliments from the general public- to be fair, there are probably equal numbers of people who'll hate you for your car, but you'll only notice the ones who won't let you out at junctions.

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Seriously, my close friends know I am a car guy. I’ve had sports cars since the 1970’s including a couple of E-Type Jaguars, a 1966 Shelby Mustang, an Alfa Romeo, BMW M3 and a BMW 650i. They all are excited about the CT 4S and happy for me. Some folks don’t get my love for cars and don’t understand why someone would spend six figures on a car. I think many of them see cars as appliances.

The only really negative reaction was my (now) ex-wife. I’ve been battling an aggressive prostate cancer for a couple of years. So far, the progress is good, but one never knows. I decided I wanted a new car, built to my specifications and I wanted to go EV. The Taycan CT was the perfect car for me. When I first broached the subject with her she was supportive but then she did a 180 and told me we were too different and that she wanted a divorce. This was all a few weeks before I started two months of daily radiation treatment.

The car certainly didn’t cause the divorce. My ex-wife is a very unhappy person and I’m much happier now. The Porsche certainly helps!
So sorry to hear this - glad you are happy and treatment going well… let’s hope you don’t attract a gold digger now you have an amazing car though ! (joke)

Tighlines

First Name
Klint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 panamera turbo, 2023 taycan CT 4S
Country flag
If you know there will be negativity, then I would def not push the car on them cause you cant make them change their minds. Withdraw from any conversations, 'poo-poo' any situations in which the car comes up and make their curiosity bring them to you. The ones that come to you will be open minded, the others are lost causes.
I'm in Colorado where most people are open minded and accepting. My friends already drive Teslas Plaids, hybrid McClarens, etc... The ones that are stuck in the ICE age do show speculative curiosity. Ill let the car do the talking, as should you.

Parlorman

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
So sorry to hear this - glad you are happy and treatment going well… let’s hope you don’t attract a gold digger now you have an amazing car though ! (joke)
LOL!
Thanks for the kind words.

BMonte13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag

As a first time Porsche owner I can relate to a lot of what you reference above. In addition, I sense an undertone of guilt in your post which I can also relate to (especially since being raised Catholic by immigrant parents). My simple advice is to let go and enjoy especially if you’ve made your purchase in a fiscally responsible manner. Your true friends will be very happy for you as has been the case for myself. I was actually also worried about my father’s reaction as he has always been very stingy BUT he was very happy for me. My wife also actually encouraged the purchase as I think she saw that I was getting burned out from work. An electric Porsche is an extremely unnecessary purchase and what actually makes me most happy in life is my wife, son, and close friends. That being said, I personally worked very hard for my Taycan and even after months of ownership and 7K miles it adds to my happiness EVERYDAY.

OP
OP
Leverage

Leverage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Withdraw from any conversations, 'poo-poo' any situations in which the car comes up and make their curiosity bring them to you. The ones that come to you will be open minded, the others are lost causes.
Yes, definitely a good advice! I will play low profile and not brag about the car or the EV industry :) I'll just enjoy the car myself and share with my wife haha

OP
OP
Leverage

Leverage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag

The only really negative reaction was my (now) ex-wife. I’ve been battling an aggressive prostate cancer for a couple of years. So far, the progress is good, but one never knows. I decided I wanted a new car, built to my specifications and I wanted to go EV. The Taycan CT was the perfect car for me. When I first broached the subject with her she was supportive but then she did a 180 and told me we were too different and that she wanted a divorce. This was all a few weeks before I started two months of daily radiation treatment.

Sorry to hear but you sound to be a warrior so you'll get through this! Get well soon and glad to hear the car makes you even more happy!

OP
OP
Leverage

Leverage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
As a first time Porsche owner I can relate to a lot of what you reference above. In addition, I sense an undertone of guilt in your post which I can also relate to (especially since being raised Catholic by immigrant parents). My simple advice is to let go and enjoy especially if you’ve made your purchase in a fiscally responsible manner. Your true friends will be very happy for you as has been the case for myself. I was actually also worried about my father’s reaction as he has always been very stingy BUT he was very happy for me. My wife also actually encouraged the purchase as I think she saw that I was getting burned out from work. An electric Porsche is an extremely unnecessary purchase and what actually makes me most happy in life is my wife, son, and close friends. That being said, I personally worked very hard for my Taycan and even after months of ownership and 7K miles it adds to my happiness EVERYDAY.
You hit the spot Brian... I can relate to your post. I didn't bring my parents in the subject but they could be another thing to deal with. They don't really like shiny & expensive objects. I've always been raised as not showing off and living low profile.

I also worked hard to get the car, I can totally afford it. It's not something that would dent my budget. It's like a present to myself for all the years of taking risks while others told me to be risk off.

I'm glad it worked out well for you with your friends. I'm sure it will be ok with mine too ... like you said: Wife, sons is all what matters in the end.