How do I know whether the 150KW onboard charger or other internal components are missing from my build?

75Chainslipr

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover, Macan, Taycan 4S
Country flag
I received my 4S yesterday. The vehicle is incredible and exceeds my expectations. Nevertheless, I fear that I may be missing some features. For instance, despite the checklist that I printed from this forum, I did not notice that the electric steering column is missing until I arrived home. In addition, when I plugged in to charge at Electrify America, the screen read that the “charge speed requested by your vehicle” was only 44kW? The Monroney label reflects that the 150-kW charger was installed, but the charge requested never exceeded 44kW.

Question 1: How do I know whether the 150KW onboard charger is missing from my build?

Question 2: Is there a dealer build sheet that will reflect whether something is missing? Since nobody told me that the electric steering column was missing, I am concerned that I may be missing other components. Like others have indicated on this forum, it would have been helpful to have been informed of the steering column substitution by the dealer or Porsche.

Question 3: Some but not all of the charge status display on the vehicle appears in the German language. Is the part German part English language typical for the charge status display?

Thank you for any input.
Sponsored

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
From what I understand it's very rare in the US to find a 400V charger that goes above 50kW. Did you find ones that are specifically 400V/150kW? There are multiple threads on this forum about how the 400V/150kW inverter option is much more useful in Europe than NA.

Was your battery warmed and <20% SOC?

OP
OP
75Chainslipr

75Chainslipr

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
From what I understand it's very rare in the US to find a 400V charger that goes above 50kW. Did you find ones that are specifically 400V/150kW? There are multiple threads on this forum about how the 400V/150kW inverter option is much more useful in Europe than NA.

Was your battery warmed and <20% SOC?
Thank you for the reply. The EA charger read up to "150kW." The battery was warmed and had only 35% charge remaining (it was only 65% charged at delivery).
I have attached a screenshot of the charger (No. 03) from my Charging app.

Porsche Taycan How do I know whether the 150KW onboard charger or other internal components are missing from my build? Screenshot 2021-08-07 at 4.10.25 PM

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Your dealer should be able to print off all options specified on your build. Cross refer this to what you ordered.

If the EA charger is 800v then the 150kW 400v option would be by passed during charging as the Taycan is 800v native. Something else then was limiting the max charge rate.

OP
OP
75Chainslipr

75Chainslipr

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Reactions: KTC

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The video seems to solve the 150kW charger issue. Thank you.
Others who are teslaratis would know better, but if Tesla opened up access to their Superchargers, that would be a 400V system where this option would be a huge benefit.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The OP is not asking for the 400v option. They basically ask "why doesn't my car charge at 150kw when I connect it to a 150kw EAcharger".

First you car can charge at speeds up to 270kw. I don't think it will so up in the build sheet because it is standard equipment for all Taycans. The catch is that this the max it supports at perfect conditions and you might never see it in practice. The conditions that affect the charging speed is the battery temperature, its State of Charge and of course the capacity of the fast charger you use.
The warmer the battery and the lower the SoC the higher the charge rate. To get 150kw you typically need to be under 50% SoC and the battery should be at temperature of at least 85F.
I assume you started charging with SoC >75% and battery temp no more than 70F if you were seeing only 44kw

OP
OP
75Chainslipr

75Chainslipr

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The OP is not asking for the 400v option. They basically ask "why doesn't my car charge at 150kw when I connect it to a 150kw EAcharger".

First you car can charge at speeds up to 270kw. I don't think it will so up in the build sheet because it is standard equipment for all Taycans. The catch is that this the max it supports at perfect conditions and you might never see it in practice. The conditions that affect the charging speed is the battery temperature, its State of Charge and of course the capacity of the fast charger you use.
The warmer the battery and the lower the SoC the higher the charge rate. To get 150kw you typically need to be under 50% SoC and the battery should be at temperature of at least 85F.
I assume you started charging with SoC >75% and battery temp no more than 70F if you were seeing only 44kw
Thank you for the helpful insight The battery was down to 35%. I don't know the battery temperature but it was sunny and 78F outdoors. Also, I drove 7 miles to get to the charger but don't know whether this cools or heats the battery. I plan to try again tomorrow when the battery is below 50% SoC.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thank you for the helpful insight The battery was down to 35%. I don't know the battery temperature but it was sunny and 78F outdoors. Also, I drove 7 miles to get to the charger but don't know whether this cools or heats the battery. I plan to try again tomorrow when the battery is below 50% SoC.
If you start at 35% the charging rate should be at least 100kw and start tampering down after 80%.

This article shows the charging rate (aka charging curve) as a function of SOC https://insideevs.com/news/427335/porsche-taycan-dc-charging-test/

Last edited:

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Question 1: How do I know whether the 150KW onboard charger is missing from my build?
If I go to myporsche.com and log in, I can view the optional equipment of my car by clicking on
- my vehicles
- the picture of my car
- show equipment details
- all technical data

You might need to scroll down before seeing the text to click.

Look for On-Board DC-charger with 150kW

This might show what you ordered and not what's actually on your car!

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
If I go to myporsche.com and log in, I can view the optional equipment of my car by clicking on
- my vehicles
- the picture of my car
- show equipment details
- all technical data

You might need to scroll down before seeing the text to click.

Look for On-Board DC-charger with 150kW

This might show what you ordered and not what's actually on your car!
But he is not asking for the 40v DC/DC 150kw option. He is asking why his car is not charging st 150kw at an 800v station (Electrify America are 800v and the 400v option doesn't play a role).

Every Taycan has a DC charger able to charge up to 270kw at 800v. There is nothing to check, that is standard equipment.

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
English is not my mother language, but please reread question 1.
I think your query has been answered by others including myself as I had doubts on rear axle steer being fitted so I asked my dealer to use the diagnostics to dump the product codes from the car to confirm.

Also the 150kW 400v DC option is not a charger it is simply a voltage converter to convert a 400v supply to 800v so that the battery can charge - hence the low cost of the option. Taycan architecture and native battery is 800v.

OP
OP
75Chainslipr

75Chainslipr

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you to everyone for your responses! You all understood what I was asking better than I did. For whatever reason, I did not comprehend that the 400v 150kW voltage converter option is not required to charge at rates above 50kW at Electrify America (EA). Because I charged at a rate less than 50kW, I was concerned that the 400v 150kW option was not installed. Unfortunately, there is a charging video on YouTube that provides that EA 150kW chargers are 400v and the Taycan will not charge above 50kW at EA 150kW charging stations without the option (reference at 2:49 to 3:08):

Based on the responses, the video appears to be incorrect because EA charging stations are 800 volts.

I am pleased to report today, I could charge at approximately 130kW at a different EA location. Per the suggestion, I am asking the dealer to print out the build codes to compare to my Monroney label to ensure the only missing component is the steering column adjustment. I am grateful that you all provided me with excellent insights.
Sponsored