How I fixed the door rattles

soawjo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, BMW 230i convertible
Country flag
Did the dealer tell you how they fixed it?
Unfortunately not, I was in the middle of discussing with the salesman about ordering another car so didn't get a chance to talk to the technician properly when he gave my key back. From what I've read on here and elsewhere about this sort of thing, they just pack a load of foam between the panel and door/b pillar/roof/wherever the rattle is coming from, similar what's been discussed in the thread for DIY jobs but the foam is hidden because they can properly remove the panels

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
After spending a week at the shop and my door rattle is now back after 3 weeks, if anything it's gotten even worse. How is that possible?! lol Apparently the technician stuffed felt and tape everywhere he could in the door panel during the first visit.

This is my second porsche and it has already spend more days in the shop than all my other cars combined lol.

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
This is what I did. It seems to have helped.

Porsche Taycan How I fixed the door rattles IMG_3202

OP
OP
chrisk

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My permanent solution was to sell my nerve-breaking rattling Taycan 4S and buy a Ford Mach-e GT. The Ford MME has zero rattles. I am an active member of the MME forum with thousands of members and to the best of my knowledge nobody has reported rattles. Problem solved :)

Last edited:

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My permanent solution was to sell my nerve-breaking rattling Taycan 4S and buy a Ford Mach-e GT. The Ford MME has zero rattles. I am an active member of the MME forum with thousands of members and to the best of my knowledge nobody has reported rattles. Problem solved :)
Well, that's interesting. Let us know how the rattle situation evolves with the Ford over time. Hope it doesn't happen, but all cars tend to loosen up as the miles add on.

Thanks for being an active member of the forum :)

OP
OP
chrisk

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well, that's interesting. Let us know how the rattle situation evolves with the Ford over time. Hope it doesn't happen, but all cars tend to loosen up as the miles add on.

Thanks for being an active member of the forum :)
zero rattles after 6 months, even on rough pavement. I know people who own their Ford MMEs for at least a year and nobody has rattle issues. I don't think that MME will develop rattles. The interior built quality reminds me of my ex Macan which had no rattles after 5 years.
I don't know how Porsche dropped the ball with the Taycan. Every other Porsche I have driven (many Macan and Cayene loaners), even the cheaper models had no rattles.

johnm723

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I just sold my Taycan after 10 months and less than 2000 miles, was tired of arguing with the dealer. The car was a cheaply made rattle trap, although it looked and accelerated great.

OP
OP
chrisk

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I just sold my Taycan after 10 months and less than 2000 miles, was tired of arguing with the dealer. The car was a cheaply made rattle trap, although it looked and accelerated great.
Exactly like me. I also sold at 10 months and 2xxx miles and the rattles were my biggest issue (plus the car died once while driving because of the software bug in Power Electronics).
You can get very good acceleration from many EVs which don't rattle.

vmporsche

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
While I agree that the rattles on at least some (including mine at first) Taycan's are excessive- especially for a Porsche, I'm happy to say that they can be resolved. At this point probably 95-100% (let's say almost all, depending on the roads) of mine have been fixed. It wasn't easy; many trips to the service center, new door panels, and still a few areas with felt applied by the service center and myself. It's not perfect, but the silence is great. I struggled with wanting to sell it (dealing with software bugs, too), especially in this market, for a long time and even ordered a Tesla Model Y Performance because I am only interested in EVs, but have ultimately decided to stick with the Taycan because of the pleasure I get from driving it (nothing else non-Porsche compares) and looking at it. But I'm super happy to hear that you like the Mustang EV- I think that's an awesome choice vs. a Model Y.

Jackson

First Name
Jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 640d, CT4
Country flag
How did you identify where to put those patches? I pressed everything over the door panel perimeter and can't understand where the sound comes from. Mine is a tickling sound somewhere behind the driver's seat in the middle/rear passenger seat.

It is driving me crazy :(

vmporsche

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
How did you identify where to put those patches? I pressed everything over the door panel perimeter and can't understand where the sound comes from. Mine is a tickling sound somewhere behind the driver's seat in the middle/rear passenger seat.

It is driving me crazy :(
I *think* that one is the driver's side seat, at the very bottom/near the base on the left side plastic. Check this thread- the OP posted a picture of where to stuff foam (or in my case, felt) and it seems to have mostly resolved that ticking/clicking sound. That one was driving me nuts, too.

Last edited:

Ant

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I had a rattle in the passenger door, like many others. Thanks for the solution. After experimenting with a tesco clubcard and some bassy music, I narrowed down the spot. Jammed a small 1mm nylon washer into the gap and it's almost unnoticeable. Can't believe the previous owner put up with this for a year and a half and the solution (kinda) was so simple!

Porsche Taycan How I fixed the door rattles 1654442888258

Porsche Taycan How I fixed the door rattles 1654442958024

Porsche Taycan How I fixed the door rattles 1654442921521

Toodal00

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD, 21 Tesla MY, Mercedes E350, GLC 300
Country flag
While I agree that the rattles on at least some (including mine at first) Taycan's are excessive- especially for a Porsche, I'm happy to say that they can be resolved. At this point probably 95-100% (let's say almost all, depending on the roads) of mine have been fixed. It wasn't easy; many trips to the service center, new door panels, and still a few areas with felt applied by the service center and myself. It's not perfect, but the silence is great. I struggled with wanting to sell it (dealing with software bugs, too), especially in this market, for a long time and even ordered a Tesla Model Y Performance because I am only interested in EVs, but have ultimately decided to stick with the Taycan because of the pleasure I get from driving it (nothing else non-Porsche compares) and looking at it. But I'm super happy to hear that you like the Mustang EV- I think that's an awesome choice vs. a Model Y.
IF you think the rattles in the taycan are bad, I dont think you want the Y. I have it and its horrible, they cant figure out where its coming from. the whole car rattles, fit and finish is really poor on the car. The plastic seals they used rub on plastics all over and make noise. pure rubbish parts. but great software

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
My CT is starting to have the rattle, sounds like it's coming from the driver side A pillars, but can't tell. Keep pushing everything while driving to no avail. Will notify service center on next visit.

My '16 X, '21 X and '17 3 have no rattles. But wind noise is another matter entirely.

-ThinkMac-
Sponsored