How to associate suspension level with driving mode

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I only picked up my Taycan a week ago, and just realized that suspension height doesn't seem to associate with the driving mode. For example, the car is in Normal mode and at Regular height. I then switch to Sport mode, car stays at same height. I then switch the car to Low height (while in Sport mode), and the car stays low even when I switch back to Normal. The Driving mode seems to switch other parameters, like suspension mode, but suspension height seems completely disconnected. Is that how it's intended, or am I missing a step associating a designed suspension height with a particular driving mode?

EDIT: I did find the Individual mode setting, but not for the other modes, which seem to keep whatever suspension height (except for Sport Plus which goes to Low).
Sponsored

Last edited:

Payton48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
That's how Normal and Sport mode work. Wish it were otherwise since I didn't spec sport chrono and don't have the Individual mode.

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
This may help.
Porsche Taycan How to associate suspension level with driving mode E32641E1-70A4-4E5C-AA06-33A316495006

When it says speed dependent it means in normal and sport mode it will go to lowered (edit) height when driving above 60mph or when the speed limit is 60+.

If you manually select a chassis height in normal and sport, it will stay at that height for both those modes.

Last edited:

gt3dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 GT3, Taycan GTS
Country flag
I have put normal mode(startup) in suspension low and it always raises when car is turned off. Wish it would be on the lowest mode always...just looks so sexy

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
I have put normal mode(startup) in suspension low and it always raises when car is turned off. Wish it would be on the lowest mode always...just looks so sexy
It should not do that. Whatever height you have it set in Normal mode should remain that height until you change it, even on next start up.

nischalr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST, Audi Q4 E-tron
Country flag
It might just be self leveling after the weight of the passengers has left the car? I noticed similiar behavior on my panamera.

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This may help.
E32641E1-70A4-4E5C-AA06-33A316495006.jpeg

When it says speed dependent it means in normal and sport mode it will go to lowered (edit) height when driving above 60mph or when the speed limit is 60+.

If you manually select a chassis height in normal and sport, it will stay at that height for both those modes.
Thanks. I am aware of the chart (I think it came from an old post of mine btw :) ), my confusion stemed from the fact that that once I manually set chassis to Low in Sport mode, I expected it to revert to “speed dependent “ when switching back to Normal mode, meaning regular height at low speed, but it stayed in Low.

By the way the solution in fact is to use Individual mode, when that is set to Low, switching back to Normal lifts if back to Regular height at low speeds.

Last edited:

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I'd guess- though haven't checked- that, once the driver overrides the default height setting in any Driving Mode, the car remains at that height regardless of mode, on the assumption that there might still a ground or roof clearance issue that prompted the driver to override the height in the first place.

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'd guess- though haven't checked- that, once the driver overrides the default height setting in any Driving Mode, the car remains at that height regardless of mode, on the assumption that there might still a ground or roof clearance issue that prompted the driver to override the height in the first place.
That may be the assumption, though I am not sure that is is a correct assumption to make. If the driver came in at Sport Plus, the car was low, but it would raise if you switched to Normal. But if the driver came in at Sport with manually lowered car, it would not when switching to Normal, so inconsistent. Maybe if the UI let you override the height outside of drive mode settings (such as lifting the car via the touch button on the IC), then I can see why it should stick, but changing it on a screen which appears to imply those are driving mode settings (since the other settings do change when you switch driving mode) is counter intuitive.

I assumed the car would return to regular height after I switch to Normal, after I pulled off the highway driving in Sport with manually set Low chassis. Sadly, I found out pulling out of a parking lot that the car was still in Low, lucky no damage, just a slight front lip scrape noise. I now have an Individual profile set for highway driving, which is a combination of Sport and SportPlus, in Low chassis setting. I only wish I could change the order of driving modes, as I mostly drive in Normal or Individual, so would prefer to avoid scrolling through Sport and Sport Plus to get to Individual or back to Normal, but I guess I can get used to it.

I haven't checked yet, but if you raise the car, will it drop back to Regular height after parking? What if you raise it to clear a curb in front of the car, park it over the curb, then come back to the car, will you leave the front bumper/apron on the curb when you pull out (or possible when away from the car, it lowers itself, ripping off the bumper)?

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I haven't checked yet, but if you raise the car, will it drop back to Regular height after parking? What if you raise it to clear a curb in front of the car, park it over the curb, then come back to the car, will you leave the front bumper/apron on the curb when you pull out (or possible when away from the car, it lowers itself, ripping off the bumper)?
That's another example of why I assume (& hope) that, once the driver has changed a height setting, the car stays at that setting even when parked up and restarted in Normal driving mode. Though I'm beginning to wonder how, if that is the case, it would ever get back from that state to automatically switching height on changing driving mode. I'll try to remember to test it.

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's another example of why I assume (& hope) that, once the driver has changed a height setting, the car stays at that setting even when parked up and restarted in Normal driving mode. Though I'm beginning to wonder how, if that is the case, it would ever get back from that state to automatically switching height on changing driving mode. I'll try to remember to test it.
My experience so far is that the car start back to Regular height and Normal driving mode after parking, just not sure when it goes to that setting (right after parking or at start of next drive). I haven't tested it starting from higher suspension settings though, only from lower. Tesla Model S used to have this problem, with few owners leaving their front bumper aprons on curbs as the cars would drop from "Lifted" equivalent while parked. You'd think Porsche would learn from other car manufacturer's mistakes, but then again, experiencing Porsche software over the last week of ownership and 3,500 miles with the Taycan (89hrs of driving according to MyPorsche stats), perhaps the only thing they learned from Elon is the attitude of "I always know best" and "if I didn't invent it, it's not worth doing".

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
My experience so far is that the car start back to Regular height and Normal driving mode after parking, just not sure when it goes to that setting (right after parking or at start of next drive). I haven't tested it starting from higher suspension settings though, only from lower. Tesla Model S used to have this problem, with few owners leaving their front bumper aprons on curbs as the cars would drop from "Lifted" equivalent while parked. You'd think Porsche would learn from other car manufacturer's mistakes, but then again, experiencing Porsche software over the last week of ownership and 3,500 miles with the Taycan (89hrs of driving according to MyPorsche stats), perhaps the only thing they learned from Elon is the attitude of "I always know best" and "if I didn't invent it, it's not worth doing".
As an aside, If i've parked mine in lift mode, it will still be in lift mode when I next drive it way. Which makes sense. Optically, it isn't going down and then back up either.

All manufacturers (EV and ICE) seem to set their cars to start in normal mode - for their emissions etc claims to hold.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
watch those speed bumps in Low mode :D
Yep, and they eat (the inside of) tyres in lowered mode too. But agree - it looks better for sure.
Sponsored