I don't understand on-board charger options

gkiratbajwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I'm getting a Taycan RWD and I still have some time to figure out all the options. It's not possible for me to charge at home so I'll be using external chargers, both ac and dc.

I don't understand why do i need to get 150kw dc onboard charger. Afaik taycan rwd supports max charging speed of 250kw dc. So why is this onboard charger rated for 150kw only? This is so confusing and I don't know whether I should add this option
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
this has been discussed at length and in depth - search is your friend.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
we don't need another thread on this.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I'm getting a Taycan RWD and I still have some time to figure out all the options. It's not possible for me to charge at home so I'll be using external chargers, both ac and dc.

I don't understand why do i need to get 150kw dc onboard charger. Afaik taycan rwd supports max charging speed of 250kw dc. So why is this onboard charger rated for 150kw only? This is so confusing and I don't know whether I should add this option
As @daveo4EV says covered in detail.

2 things to consider:

1. AC charging needs. Standard is up to 11kW but depending on your home charging setup you may be able to provide up to 19.6kW. For this you will need a suitable EVSE to take advantage AND specify the upgraded AC charger option. Depending on public charging infrastructure you may also be able to leverage this but ideally you always want to DC charge when on the road for speed and so the upgraded AC option may not be worthwhile.

2. DC charging. Taycan charging architecture is DC 800v based and so in order to charge the battery there has to be tech to either convert to DC and voltage boost to 800v or boost DC from 400v to 800v.

Taycan has DC 400v to 800v 50kW onboard charging as standard together with 800v 270kW (350kW).

In certain countries there is public charging infrastructure providing 150kw @ 400v. To take advantage of this on the Taycan you would need the 150kW DC booster option otherwise your charging session would be limited to 50kW.

Tesla infrastructure is based on 400v providing 120kW/ 150kw which may be opened up to non Tesla cars and were this is the case then the 150kW DC upgrade would serve a purpose.

None of these options are essential but if you had to pick one the DC booster is probably it - low cost and may present public charging opportunities either now or in the future.
Sponsored