gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
the North American Taycan comes with a 48 amp (60 amp breaker) on board AC charger that supports upto 11 kW charge rate just like the European models…

Porsche's website is _WRONG_ in that it documents the North American Taycan's maximum L2 AC charge rate at 9.6 kw - I have no idea why porsche does this - there is _NOT_ a separate part number or software for the North American Taycan vs. European models (or rest of the world for that matter).

9.6 kW _IS_ the maximum charge rate you can achieve with _MOBILE_ EVSE's since the maximum amount of power a plug based EVSE in North America since any 240V circuit with more than 50 amp breaker is required to be hardwired (i.e. NOT mobile)

if you purchase the Porsche Wall Charger _OR_ any other EVSE and install it on a 60 amp or greater circuit your North American Taycan will charge at 48 amps/11 kW…

Porsche is low balling the North American's Taycan's standard equipment charger at 9.6 kW - it's clearly wrong, has been wrong for years - and there is ample evidence that the Taycan in North America charges at 11 kW when presented with any number of 48 amp (60 amp breaker) EVSE's…

it's a fact, the website is wrong, I don't know why people find this so difficult.
Well, in that case, it actually makes sense to me since unless you hardwire in an EVSE in NA you, as you point out, will be limited to 9.6kW. The bottom line is it isn't anything to worry about and if you happen to have a hardwired 60AMP or better EVSE you'll get a bit better charge rate.

Now, if they'd quit delaying my car I could test out the PWCC I just installed and see how close I can get to 19.2kW ;-)

P.S. I could see them getting flak if they were to advertise 11.2kW in NA even if they caveated it as you've described with the hardwired 60AMP EVSE.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
9.6 kW _IS_ the maximum charge rate you can achieve with a PMC+/PMCC - since both of those EVSE are _MOBILE_ chargers and plug based…and therefore limited to 50 amp breaker (40 amp charge rate)…which is 9.6 kW

but this is true of _ANY_ mobile EV charger (EVSE) sold in North America - they all have the _SAME_ limit - 9.6 kW _IS_ the maximum charge rate for _ANY_ mobile EVSE sold in North America…

However _IF_ you purchase a hardwired EVSE like:
  • Porsche Wall Charger (not a PMC+/PMCC)
  • ClipperCreek HCS-60 (or more)
  • ChargePoint
  • Tesla Wall Charger (gen 1, gen 2, or gen 3)
  • juicebox
  • wattzilla
  • etc…lots and lots of choices here…
and you install them on a 60 amp _OR_ greater breaker and configure them correctly…

your Taycan _WILL_ charge at 48 amps (60 amp breaker or more) - which translates into about 11 kW "raw" and shows "in car" as about 10.68 kW charging the battery…

if you "add" the optional 19.2 kW charger your Taycan will charge even faster up to the North American L2 limit of 19.2 kW - which requires a 100 amp breaker which yields a 80 amp charge rate - this the maximum documented AC/L2 charging standard supported in North America - other vehicles that support 19.2 kW charging are: Lucid Air, GM Hummer, Ford F150, Rivian, Tesla Model S (pre 2018 models), others…

this is complex enough that I understand why Porsche may have wanted to simplify the message - since early days of Taycan Porsche did not yet have a NA offering of an EVSE that could do more than 9.6 kW - but now that they have the Porsche Wall Charger - they should update the specs…

but it is a complex and nuanced message to say the following:
  • your Taycan can charge at 11 kw (fact)
  • but we Porsche do not at this time sell or offer an EV charger (EVSE) that can accomplish that feat in North America…since the PMC+/PMCC are plug based they will always be limited to 9.6 kW
    • so if you purchase the Porsche Mobile Chargers (PMC+/PMCC) you will be limited to 9.6 kW even though your Taycan can do more…
the explanation above is the _ONLY_ rational that makes any sense to me as to why Porsche low balls the spec - which comes down to "message simplicity" - it's the simplest message and frankly most people don't need to know - and it's very complex to explain other wise - as witnessed by this thread and others and a constant source of confusion.

so it's easier to just "lie" - the Taycan can only charge at 9.6 kw which by the way exactly matches what the charger we include with the car can do. Simple. Done. Next Question?

:rolleyes::facepalm::headbang::computerrage:

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I was under the impression that a few months ago, Porsche added a disclaimer in the configurator that for use with single phase circuits they recommend limiting the 19.2 on-board charger power to 7kw. If I am mistaken, my apologies.
AFAIK, that was for the 22kW, not the 19.2kW we have in the US. I’m not aware of any limits on the 19.2kW.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I have no idea why porsche does this - there is _NOT_ a separate part number or software for the North American Taycan vs. European models (or rest of the world for that matter).
Are you sure about that or are there sources that they are the same? My understanding is that, while our 11kW would be around 46 amps @ 240V, the European one is 16 amps @ 400V 3-phase.
Sponsored