Installation time required for recent major PCM update?

How long did it take for the recent major PCM update.

• Total voters

jcg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' BMW X5, 22' Taycan GTS
Country flag
Just dropped my car off at the dealer for the major PCM update. Was told it was going to take 3 days!!! What are other members being told or experienced?
Sponsored

Rayo2703

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Mine took just the morning. I think it depends on the age of the car. The older it is the longer it takes but the greater the benefit

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
my 2020 Taycan was dropped of on Aug 26th, returned to me on Sept. 6th

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
MY21, Monday morning - Wednesday 14.00.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
This highly depends on MY, i.e. WNJ8, WNK1 or ANA6.
Just sayin'...

srbiv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
It took a week for me. However, I think my car set for several days before anything was done to it judging by alerts I received from the Porsche app.

mmdumi

First Name
Mihai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan cross turismo
Country flag
Taycan CT MY22 took 1/2 day in Salzburg

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
What are you measuring? My car sat at the dealership for three days before they started, but the actual update took less than 24 hours start to finish, including the ACM1 and ANA5 recalls too.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It took a week for me. However, I think my car set for several days before anything was done to it judging by alerts I received from the Porsche app.
yeah I saw similar progress - my shop has only a few "taycan certified" engineers so they are not working on the car 7/24 when you drop it off.

iipabrewer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Enjoying my 21' Taycan 4S
Country flag
I dropped my 21' 4S off on Friday (Sept 2nd) and am still waiting. Of course they don't work on Sunday and Labor day so 3+ days so far. At least I got a loaner.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
yeah I saw similar progress - my shop has only a few "taycan certified" engineers so they are not working on the car 7/24 when you drop it off.

This is honestly quite disappointing.
They know how many engineers they have that know that stuff, and on average how long it takes.
So manage the queue! Don't have people without their car for a week because it's standing there waiting for a technician.

I feel like that's operations 101.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is honestly quite disappointing.
They know how many engineers they have that know that stuff, and on average how long it takes.
So manage the queue! Don't have people without their car for a week because it's standing there waiting for a technician.

I feel like that's operations 101.
this is one of the issues that "drew" me to Tesla - even with all their problems (real or imagined) all of their service Tech's are "rated to work on EV's" - it's a subtle distinction but one that bears discussing - say what you will about Tesla (again real or imagined it's all been covered) but they are "ALL IN" on this whole EV thing…

I never took my car to Tesla and was told the "tech that is rated to work on EV's is out today"…because _ALL_ their techs are rated to work on EV's

this is a problem for the existing guys and makes buying an EV from them a lesser service experience…

it's just one of many obstacles associated with trying to shoehorn in EV sales into an existing legacy ICE service network…

I experienced this problem for the first time with my first EV - a 2012 Ford Focus EV - when it had problems I took to the dealership for diagnosis - they had only one tech "rated" to work on the Focus EV and he seems to only be in the shop on alternate tuesdays of odd number's months that are not too hot or cold temperature wise…it took forever for them do even the simplest diagnosis and frankly seemed 100% uninterested in solving any problems…I'm sad to report my past two years with Porsche and the Taycan have been only slightly better than that experience I had with Ford in 2012 - still the same problem - the tech that can work on the product we honestly don't care about isn't in today - here you can drive our base model gas car that sucks vs. virtually any EV you're used to - we'll get to it next week is a problem for the legacy auto manufactures…and one I doubt Lucid, Rivian or other "pure EV" makes will mimic…while they will have new an exciting problems having techs in their shop not rated to work on their product isn't one of them.

Last edited:

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just dropped my car off at the dealer for the major PCM update. Was told it was going to take 3 days!!! What are other members being told or experienced?
It is far more about how busy they are, how much they multi-task with your car and several others, and how quickly they start than the elapsed time needed for the install. As a result, it can be 1 day, 2 days or some other amount.

At another high end car company, I have had tires that required an overnight install despite dropping off at 8.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
if you count the time from my initial appointment to my actual appointment next week it will be at least eight weeks+
Sponsored