Intermittent wiper judder

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Recently, my Taycan has developed an intermittent wiper judder on the down cycle.

Sometimes everything is cool, and there’s a smooth sweeping motion, but other times, it’s a judder and squeal.

I am driving for 20 minutes and everything is okay, but then the wipers, especially the driver side wiper, starts to judder for a few minutes, then everything sorts itself out and back to normal. Sometimes it comes back.

Heavy or light rain doesn’t seem to make a difference. I’ve cleaned the blade and applied silicon spray. I’ve cleaned the windscreen.

Wipers haven’t been used much over the last 18 months. I do have GTechniq glass coating but the blades didn’t judder after the application.

Maybe the wiper motor is at play, or the blade needs replacing (blade seems to be intact), or it’s the GTechniq coating, or something else.

Any thoughts or things to try would be welcome.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Recently, my Taycan has developed an intermittent wiper judder on the down cycle.

Sometimes everything is cool, and there’s a smooth sweeping motion, but other times, it’s a judder and squeal.

I am driving for 20 minutes and everything is okay, but then the wipers, especially the driver side wiper, starts to judder for a few minutes, then everything sorts itself out and back to normal. Sometimes it comes back.

Heavy or light rain doesn’t seem to make a difference. I’ve cleaned the blade and applied silicon spray. I’ve cleaned the windscreen.

Wipers haven’t been used much over the last 18 months. I do have GTechniq glass coating but the blades didn’t judder after the application.

Maybe the wiper motor is at play, or the blade needs replacing (blade seems to be intact), or it’s the GTechniq coating, or something else.

Any thoughts or things to try would be welcome.

Clean the rubber.

Put the wipers in maintenance mode and then raise to clean.

OP
OP

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Clean the rubber.

Put the wipers in maintenance mode and then raise to clean.
Thanks, but I’ve done that, and even applied a silicone coating. I think the blade isn’t sitting perpendicular to the glass.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks, but I’ve done that, and even applied a silicone coating. I think the blade isn’t sitting perpendicular to the glass.
I would not have applied a coating as it can add to the judder.

The wiper blade is mostly rubber and should shape itself to the screen unless you can see gaps?

Replace the blades.

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
Yup replace the blades, rubber gets hard/crumble and then starts to “flip” rather than “drag” 2-3 every years is normal regardless of usage.

OP
OP

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I’ll consider replacing the blades, but they aren’t dry or crumbling. I’ve cleaned the windscreen and blades, which has reduced the judder significantly

I noticed the blades sometimes don’t sit perpendicular to the windscreen, or maintain this position. The judder is intermittent, so maybe the arm just needs twisting / realignment.

mutanthands

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Suzuki Cara
Country flag
It’s probably the GTechniq coating.
Put a bit of the coating on the wiper blade and hopefully it’ll reduce the judder.

OP
OP

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
It’s probably the GTechniq coating.
Put a bit of the coating on the wiper blade and hopefully it’ll reduce the judder.
Thanks, but I’ve already applied the GTechniq to the blade when I first applied the coating to the windscreen. I remember the blades being smooth.

I think my issue is with the arm angle and blade contact angle.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks, but I’ve already applied the GTechniq to the blade when I first applied the coating to the windscreen. I remember the blades being smooth.

I think my issue is with the arm angle and blade contact angle.
I made this mistake of applying the same coating to my Boxster - judder was huge problem. Like I suggested earlier, don't use any coating.
Sponsored