Is the Taycan really exceeding EPA rating?

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
That’s got to be a record. You must be driving downhill both ways!
55MPH 4s with aero 19in wheels and hankook low resistance has achieved this distance in this video:

The reality is that EVs have a extremely wide range spread based on behavior and environment. You can get about 190-200mi going 90mph the whole way in cold weather, or you can get 350mi going 55 in warm weather. Or some random mix in-between.
Sponsored

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I have never seen any number close to that in my '21 4s with 20 inch all seasons
Yeah I think we need to be fully transparent when posting 'predicted' miles - I don't AT ALL mean that in a negative way, simply that it is always about the driving style, tire selection and wheel size, average and min-max trip speeds, weather/climate, terrain, mix of long and short trips etc etc.

Posting a predicted (vs consumptive) range is fine (and Kingske, that prediction is insane and I'd be mad happy to get anywhere near it!! :)), but the devil is always in the details. We all have the same cars but need to specify also sedan vs CT and std. vs PB+.

Realize 3rd parties try to get a handle on much of this but would be great to have a dedicated Taycan owner group to track this with as much driving diversity as you can and post real world consumptive ranges achieved vs predicted.

Have to say I did expect better results by now even with 21" wheels and sumer Perf. tires (actual closer to EPA estimates), but its def not "harshin' my buzz" for the car :)

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Yeah I think we need to be fully transparent when posting 'predicted' miles - I don't AT ALL mean that in a negative way, simply that it is always about the driving style, tire selection and wheel size, average and min-max trip speeds, weather/climate, terrain, mix of long and short trips etc etc.

Posting a predicted (vs consumptive) range is fine (and Kingske, that prediction is insane and I'd be mad happy to get anywhere near it!! :)), but the devil is always in the details. We all have the same cars but need to specify also sedan vs CT and std. vs PB+.

Realize 3rd parties try to get a handle on much of this but would be great to have a dedicated Taycan owner group to track this with as much driving diversity as you can and post real world consumptive ranges achieved vs predicted.

Have to say I did expect better results by now even with 21" wheels and sumer Perf. tires (actual closer to EPA estimates), but its def not "harshin' my buzz" for the car :)
True. When I took that picture with 350 predicted miles at a 99% SoC, the car (2020 4S PB+) was in Range mode and the A/C in ECO mode. I have the 19" Aero wheels with all-season tires (sometimes lovingly called no-season tires by other forum members) and manual charge covers. The picture was taken early November in New Jersey which means that the ambient temperature was lower than the one for optimum range but still mild enough not to have a major range penalty. There is indeed a difference between effective (realized) range and predictive range on the guess-o-meter, but that difference is smaller than one would expect. My effective/realized range in the late spring/summer/early fall is typically between 310 and 330 miles. In the winter this drops to between 270 and 290 miles.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
True. When I took that picture with 350 predicted miles at a 99% SoC, the car (2020 4S PB+) was in Range mode and the A/C in ECO mode. I have the 19" Aero wheels with all-season tires (sometimes lovingly called no-season tires by other forum members) and manual charge covers. The picture was taken early November in New Jersey which means that the ambient temperature was lower than the one for optimum range but still mild enough not to have a major range penalty. There is indeed a difference between effective (realized) range and predictive range on the guess-o-meter, but that difference is smaller than one would expect. My effective/realized range in the late spring/summer/early fall is typically between 310 and 330 miles. In the winter this drops to between 270 and 290 miles.
Excellent thx again for sharing - you do seem to be in the upper end of realized range and of course quite diff to my spec of a CT with 21” wheels, summer performance tires etc.
Can I ask again as to what sort of you improvement you saw from earliest charge to current chrarge and associated range prediction?

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Excellent thx again for sharing - you do seem to be in the upper end of realized range and of course quite diff to my spec of a CT with 21” wheels, summer performance tires etc.
Can I ask again as to what sort of you improvement you saw from earliest charge to current chrarge and associated range prediction?
Quite a lot, actually. My predicted range (at 100% SoC) started out around 230 miles or so and grew rapidly over the first couple of hundred miles - driven by my actual consumption - to the 270-ish miles zone where it stayed for a while until the moment the brakes were bedded in and regen got activated. Then the predicted range grew beyond 300 miles (in decent ambient temperatures) where it stayed. I guess in a couple of years the range will start shrinking again as a result of battery degradation, unless Porsche releases software updates which improve either efficiency or battery utilization. One can only hope...

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
The power of coasting on 19". I have 20" and last year with new battery might have reached this number. In Normal mode, I got a couple of times 335 miles predicted range.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Quite a lot, actually. My predicted range (at 100% SoC) started out around 230 miles or so and grew rapidly over the first couple of hundred miles - driven by my actual consumption - to the 270-ish miles zone where it stayed for a while until the moment the brakes were bedded in and regen got activated. Then the predicted range grew beyond 300 miles (in decent ambient temperatures) where it stayed. I guess in a couple of years the range will start shrinking again as a result of battery degradation, unless Porsche releases software updates which improve either efficiency or battery utilization. One can only hope...
Over 800 miles now and effectively no change for me unfortunately - still seeing 240 or so max predicted range at 100% SoC which rarely if ever translates to actual consumptive miles. I use coasting over regen and overall fairly conservative driving other than tending to be at 70-80 on highways vs 65-70. AC/heat on maybe 70-30 in respect normal vs eco. Do have 21” wheels and perf summer tires. Odd!

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Over 800 miles now and effectively no change for me unfortunately - still seeing 240 or so max predicted range at 100% SoC which rarely if ever translates to actual consumptive miles. I use coasting over regen and overall fairly conservative driving other than tending to be at 70-80 on highways vs 65-70. AC/heat on maybe 70-30 in respect normal vs eco. Do have 21” wheels and perf summer tires. Odd!
Strange, and your local climate cannot be blamed for killing range either…

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Strange, and your local climate cannot be blamed for killing range either…
Indeed - rather frustrating, but again I may be jumping the gun and possibly still need to do more long trips to 'train' the system more.
Sponsored