Just ordered 19.2 kW AC On-Board Charger.

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan and 2019 Mercedes S560V
Country flag
polarbear,

You also mentioned that the ordered the HUD, which I love. I didn't know if you knew, unlike a lot of cars, the dash changes significantly on the Taycan when you order the HUD. I have attached a picture so you can see the difference if you hadn't already seen it. I found it on the configurator in Australia, a country already changed over to 2021.

Porsche Taycan Just ordered 19.2 kW AC On-Board Charger. Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 9.22.14 PM
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
polarbear

polarbear

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
polarbear,

You also mentioned that the ordered the HUD, which I love. I didn't know if you knew, unlike a lot of cars, the dash changes significantly on the Taycan when you order the HUD. I have attached a picture so you can see the difference if you hadn't already seen it. I found it on the configurator in Australia, a country already changed over to 2021.

Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 9.22.14 PM.png
I didn't know that. Thanks!

OP
OP
polarbear

polarbear

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
no it's not both sides.

you'll need a Tesla Gen2 Wall Charger or the 100 amp ClipperCreek J-1772 charger…

19.2 kW is the most power covered by the L2 (240 volt) North American J-1772 charging standard to which the Taycan confirms.

there are _NO_ available 22 kW J-1772 chargers - because there is no specification for that much power with in the J-1772 standard/specifciations

now I'm sure Porsche could "adapt" the standard and publish a x.1 adendem to the specification, but the Taycan would be the _ONLY_ EV on the market with support for that - and I doubt there would be any market for J-1772 chargers beyond the Taycan market…

my honest opinion is that once you're talking more than a 60 amp breaker - a home/residential CCS charger would be a better choice - and the cost for the 19.2 kW charger covers about 1/2 to 2/3 of the cost of CCS charger - and you then don't need the 22/19.2 kW charger option cause CCS bypasses the onboard car charger and at least 50 kW if not 150 kW…

you are very very unlikely to run into 19.2 kW chargers in the wild other than your home…

I'd put the money towards a CCS charger

the 19.2 kW is at least $3000
and the 100 amp charger from clipper creek is $2195

that's $5,195 _BEFORE_ you've even installed your 100 amp circuit to your garage…

and again I'll emphasize there are virtually _NO_ J-1772 chargers "in the wild" that are beyond 48 amps - yes there are few - but it's not going to help you while road tripping.

this is a HOME charging configuration only - it's not going to make anything faster at 99.9% of the J-1772 chargers you'll encounter away from home.
Great thank you for your information. It would help me a lot.

19.2kW AC on-board charger is $1,680 and no additional cost for choosing that option. The dealer told me that I don't have to worry about the 19.2kW thing since they are going to take care of everything.

TC Fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Great thank you for your information. It would help me a lot.

19.2kW AC on-board charger is $1,680 and no additional cost for choosing that option. The dealer told me that I don't have to worry about the 19.2kW thing since they are going to take care of everything.
What do you mean "no additional cost," and the dealer said they'd take care of everything?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@polarbear - I'll be very very interested to see what the Dealer installs as your home charging setup - please share details and pictures when you get it all set up.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
I'll add here that the 100 Amp circuit will be more expensive to install - you need thicker wiring. When I got our first Model S in 2014 I was contemplating the full charger (standard was 40 Amp, but you could order the dual charger for 80 Amp - and for that you needed the wall charger on the 100 Amp circuit). It was too pricy for my taste, decided against it and never missed it. That's is why I never even considered it for the Taycan

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@svp6 this is why I'll be really interested to see what the Porsche dealer does - I'm betting they have _NO_ idea what to do in this case and have overpromised and will underdeliver…

there are versions of the Porsche Mobile Connect Charger for Europe/China and such that are 22 kW chargers - so Porsche has 22 kW charger products - but to my knowledge Porsche does not have a North American version of their Chargers that go above the 40 amp (9.6 kW) level - this is because to date their chargers are mobile - and there is no mobile plug in North America above 50/40 amps

in the PMCC manual there is reference a bare-lead/bare-wire PMCC supply cable for one of the Asian markets. So Porsche "could" provide a 22 kW charter w/bare-wire supply cable - but it would no longer be mobile - so it would be a PCC not a PMCC…also Porsche wold have to get the wire gauge correct for 19.2 kW…

so I'm very very curious to see what Porsche will do in this case - also the gauge of the wire for the current PMCC from the PMCC unit to the vehicle (the charging cord for the vehicle - the one with the J-1772 connector on it is insufficient gauge for 19.2 kW)…

so to provide a "porsche" solution for this you need the following:
  1. a North American Porsche charger rated for 19.2 kW - they can adapt one of their existing non-north American versions
  2. a 3 wire 6 gauge "supply cable" with bare leads - making the charger no longer mobile
    1. unless you're willing to "swap" supply cables to take the PMCC unit with you on the road
  3. an Upgraded J-1772 vehicle charging cable
  4. 100 amp circuit installed in the customer's home with appropriate breaker and wire gauge.
so I"M very very very curious to see what the Porsche dealer will do to "take care of it".

if Porsche does not step up to provide a J-1772 based charger that can do 19.2 kW the only solution I'm aware of is the ClipperCreek HCS100 J-1772 charger. There is NO question it will work,, there is no question it can provide 19.2 kW - and it's well built and sufficiently robust to handle 100/80 amps of charging goodness - but then they'd be running up against this issue for which Porsche NA seems to have it's head up it's ass…

from this post - @BruceF I realized this when I read further down in the Porsche Taycan user manual (page 80) that I quoted in my post a bit earlier in this thread where it says:

“ Porsche recommends that you use charging equipment supplied and approved by Porsche together with the charging dock or the basic wall mount. Refer to the separate instructions for the Porsche charging equipment and the vehicle charging cable use”
so what charger will be "porsche approved" in North America for 19.2 kW charging?

to say I'm curious about all this is an understatement - and to say most dealers probably have no idea what they are getting into is probably also an understatement

and then there is the issue that honestly - outside of a home installation - there really no where in North America you're going to frequently encounter 19.2 kW J-1772 L2 chargers - so the utilization of this "option" will be:
  • at home
  • and some random low percentage (single digits - mostly Tesla Wall chargers) of public chargers away from home.

Last edited:

gonzo

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Lucid Air DE, Tesla 3
Country flag
I too ordered the 19.2kW on-board charger, along with the Charging Dock. I'm in the US and my vehicle won't be arriving until late Jan. I already have 100A circuits installed for Tesla wall connectors. Has anyone gotten 19.2kW working, with the Porche equipment or otherwise??

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
19.2 kW charging will required the following bits:
  • 100/80 amp –1772 EVSE (100 amp breaker, 80 amp charge rate)
    • ClipperCreek HCS100 is one model of EVSE with this charge rate
    • Gen1 or Gen2 Tesla Wall Charger (no longer sold by Telsa)
      • if you’re using a Gen1/Gen2 Tesla Wall Charger you’ll need an 80 amp TeslaTap
      • Gen3 Tesla Wall Charger (currently being sold on Tesla’s website) is _NOT_ capable of 100/80 amps.
    • some brief googling found no other North American J-1772 chargers that support 19.2 kW that can be easily purchased
    • Euro-Porsche-PMCC (22 kW version) repurposed/re-tooled for North American market??? No idea here
  • 100 amp circuit installed in your home
The current Tesla Wall Charger (Gen3) being sold by Tesla is maximum charge rate of 48 amps (60 amp breaker).

I’ve not yet seen/heard of any North American Taycan w/19.2 kW charger on board.

Any one on the west coast and in particular in the bay area is welcome to visit my home chargers to test the 19.2 kW - I have 100 amp Tesla Gen2 Wall chargers and an 80 amp TeslaTap.

Last edited:

gonzo

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks much @daveo4EV, and apologies for making you rehash all of this stuff again for a Porsche newb! I have been reading up on your other posts (great stuff, thanks!) and had just arrived at the conclusion that I missed big and probably should not have ordered the 19.2kW on-board charger or even the Charging Dock. I mistakenly assumed that for $470 the Charging Dock was more like the $500 Tesla WC and somehow enabled this faster charging, vs being just a glorified wall holder for the PMCC. Shame on me for not visiting this forum sooner, but in my defense I was on my heels with all of the config options for the Taycan and the information available via the configurator is scant. :confused:

I have a Tesla WC Gen 3 on 100A circuit (I've had 2 Gen 2's fail over 5 years) and believe I saw in one of your other posts that you've gotten 11kW when using a JDapter with the Gen 3, is that right? I will probably go the Clipper Creek route but am curious if this might be an option to get a little more juice than the default 9.6kW?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
other’s on the forum have successfully charged at 60/48 amps using a Gen3 Tesla Wall charger so you should be good and yes it will charge faster than the 50/40 amp 9.6 PMCC…

I personally have charged using my Gen2 Tesla Wall chargers (on 100 amp breaker) @ 11 kW with my 2020 MY Taycan - and in car the charging display reports 0.4 mpm/10.46 kW - which is more than 9.6 kW (I get 8.68 kW in car when charging with my PMCC on a NEMA 14-50 plug).

yeah the Porsche dock is an empty “box” to hold the PMCC - it is _NOT_ itself an EVSE.

the 19.2 kW is _NOT_ bad - and there are some 100 amp chargers “in wild” in North America - some inspired hotels and businesses installed Tesla 100 amp chargers - recommend the 80 amp TeslaTap so you can use these chargers when/if you encounter them.

Seascape Resort in Aptos, Ca has 4 Tesla chargers in the underground garage parking facilities (one in each of 4 separate buildings) - they are 100/80 amp chargers and provide a glorious 19.2 kW to vehicles capable of accepting that much charge.

gonzo

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks! You have probably seen this, but given that the Dock is a holder, what does this even mean?

With the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect, which can also be programmed to charge your car conveniently in your garage overnight. To take advantage of the full 19.2kW charging power, we recommend the installation of an industrial electrical outlet or the Porsche Charging Dock.
Would it be feasible for them to update it for the US market to somehow facilitate faster charging?

I have an email into my dealer on this and will share what I learn, if anything.

gonzo

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I heard back from my dealer, who has been great btw, and they have it from a reliable source at PCNA that a new 19.2kW-capable PMCC will soon be available in the US, and it will have a pigtail adapter for hard-wiring. 100A service required, of course.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@gonzo - this is great news - it could also mean that you could swap supply cables and have the mobile charger with a NEMA 14-50 supply cable...

now I hope Porsche gets the wiregauge for the pig-tail adapater correct - so that it doesn’t overheat - I’m also curious about the cable segment from the PMCC to the vehicle for 80 amp service

I’m super curious to see how this plays out.
Sponsored