"Lag" on acceleration

Doc Sportello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Couldn't find anything on here about this one, but I have started to notice a slight lag in my CT4 when accelerating from a rolling start, typically from 15-20mph. Seems to happen in normal mode. Haven't noticed it in sport/sport plus.

The effect is similar to turbo lag, and the delay lasts only a few milliseconds, but it is noticeable. First happened going up a steep hill, but this morning it did it on a flat road.

It feels mechanical - like it's in second gear and the lag is caused by a downshift to first? I read somewhere that, in normal mode, the car stays in second gear all the time anyway, so perhaps this explains it?

Or is it maybe just the lazier throttle map in normal, responding to a more urgent press of the pedal?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Couldn't find anything on here about this one, but I have started to notice a slight lag in my CT4 when accelerating from a rolling start, typically from 15-20mph. Seems to happen in normal mode. Haven't noticed it in sport/sport plus.

The effect is similar to turbo lag, and the delay lasts only a few milliseconds, but it is noticeable. First happened going up a steep hill, but this morning it did it on a flat road.

It feels mechanical - like it's in second gear and the lag is caused by a downshift to first? I read somewhere that, in normal mode, the car stays in second gear all the time anyway, so perhaps this explains it?

Or is it maybe just the lazier throttle map in normal, responding to a more urgent press of the pedal?

Thanks!
If you floor the throttle (in Normal) a downshift from 2nd to 1st will occur.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
My understanding is that "Normal" drive mode always starts in second gear to save energy. As the others stated, it is probably downshifting. Try it in Sport and Sport Plus and see if reacts the same. I am guessing you will not notice it.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
It’s been discussed before. As others noted, it’s the downshift. The solution is to not drive in normal.

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag

Thanks!
I had this happen recently out of the blue..turned out the car was putting itself into Range Mode with a 60 mph max (my setting for range mode = 90 mph max)...since I was doing 60+ at the time, it bogged down horribly...only had that happen twice but it is disconcerting!

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is why the transmission is by far my least favorite "feature" of this car.
Absolutely criminal how janky performance is in normal and range.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Absolutely criminal how janky performance is in normal and range.
I know, right? Too bad there aren’t any other modes to drive in better suited to a sportier driving style.

And hey, have you also noticed how quiet the radio is on mute? God, I can’t hear it all. Like, what are you even doing Porsche?

Last edited:

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I know, right? Too bad there aren’t any other modes to drive in better suited to a sportier driving style.

And hey, have you also noticed how quite the radio is on mute? God, I can’t hear it all. Like, what are you even doing Porsche?
OK - not sure why you had to go to "why are you in a Porsche".

What I want is 2 modes:
- linear, clean and instant acceleration
- linear, clean, instant and aggressive acceleration.

BMW did that pretty well on their naturally aspirated M3s and M5s.
Porsche NA 911s do this well as well IMHO.

BTW, willing to wager that Porsche will remove the transmission on the next generation (not refresh). This is an anomaly. Wouldn't be surprised if this ends up the last major EV model with a transmission.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
"Like, what are you even doing Porsche?"
What exactly does that mean?
I’m asking Porsche what they’re doing. Because they’re doing such a terrible job. As illustrated by my examples.

You’re confusing the statement for “what are you even doing in a Porsche”, which is not what I said.
Sponsored