Lake Elsinore to San Francisco on One Charge (425.6 Miles)

taycandaddy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
So I decided to make the trip in my Taycan instead of the Elantra Hybrid I have since I figured, why else have a Porsche? I started my drive around 5am on both days. On both times, I stopped at Kettleman city. I was not able to get charging speeds over 175kW (unlike my trip to Portland which I got over 250kW every time).

Hwoever, that did not matter since I stopped at Denny's both times. We ate for 40 mins each time and it was charged to 100% both times. I have owed a Model X and S and 3 since 2017. This was the most pleasant experience I've had on my drive up north. I'll make a separate post on me buying my Taycan and more of my experience with Teslas.

But anyways, I loved the accuracy. I drove from Lake Elsinore to Kettleman City at a 75mph pace once I got on open road (before/after Tejon). That speed was reduce to 66mph on the hills. Then back to 73 in the city. I drove from Kettleman City to San Francisco at a 78mph pace once I got on open road (before/after Tracy) and then slowed down to 74mph.

The way back from Kettleman City to Lake Elsinore was my best yet. Range estimated at 266 miles at an average speed of 67mph. On that same strip of road in the opposite direction, the estimated range was 249 miles at a 71 mph average speed.

From Kettleman City to San Francisco, the range was lower (had my cruise setting at 78mph). 246 miles on the way to SF at 69mph average speed and then 223 miles going to Kettleman City at a 73mph average speed.

Will definitely take my Taycan on further trips to SF. Going to try Zion next. Should expect even better driving conditions (less traffic) on non-holiday weekends.

Porsche Taycan Lake Elsinore to San Francisco on One Charge (425.6 Miles) Elsinore to Kettleman

Porsche Taycan Lake Elsinore to San Francisco on One Charge (425.6 Miles) Kettleman to SF

Porsche Taycan Lake Elsinore to San Francisco on One Charge (425.6 Miles) SF to Kettleman

Porsche Taycan Lake Elsinore to San Francisco on One Charge (425.6 Miles) Kettleman to Elsinore

ender21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Have you done the Zion trip yet? One thing to note is the elevation change. My wife and I own a ski vacation home near Cedar City so driving *to* is always a fun, torturous exercise in watching my range plummet from the incline, but then we get the better experience of much more efficient driving on the way back!

Watchesandburgers

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
@taycandaddy, curious to hear about your Tesla -> Taycan transition. What do you like/dislike? For me, the Taycan is a 1000% better drive, but Tesla had the electronics and the UI design down pat.

ender21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
You didn't ask me but I went from both a Model S (old 2013), then Model Y, to the Taycan. The things I miss the most from the Tesla are the supercharger network's "it just works" ability first and foremost. Managing energy levels & scheduling charging is much more intuitive as well. After that there are a few things like the 3D map of the cars around me, and obviously the rear camera. But the Taycan exceeds my expectations in just about every other facet I can think of.

refazi

First Name
Refael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2020 Macan, BMW i8, Audi ETron
Country flag
I love this Kettleman stop with the new chargers, i got over 200 there for sure, but the station was only half full and i'm sure these charger balance the charge.
Sponsored