batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
Ok, think got to the bottom of this. Looking at the car today, there is now clear warping of the laminate around the roof rails. This is on both sides at the rear, and the crack originates from that area on one side. Actually, it started on the side showing the least warping.

For further validation, the one other person I know who has seen this on a UK FB forum has said his originated from the front roof rail side though don't know if he has as obvious distortion yet. Looks like the robot in the factory must have been having an angry day affixing the rails..... I've passed onto my Porsche centre to hopefully help with root cause (and to make sure my new roof doesn't immediately do this again).

Porsche Taycan Lasted 9 days (Panoramic roof) 1650622191914

Porsche Taycan Lasted 9 days (Panoramic roof) 1650622162125

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Ok, think got to the bottom of this. Looking at the car today, there is now clear warping of the laminate around the roof rails. This is on both sides at the rear, and the crack originates from that area on one side. Actually, it started on the side showing the least warping.

For further validation, the one other person I know who has seen this on a UK FB forum has said his originated from the front roof rail side though don't know if he has as obvious distortion yet. Looks like the robot in the factory must have been having an angry day affixing the rails..... I've passed onto my Porsche centre to hopefully help with root cause (and to make sure my new roof doesn't immediately do this again).

1650622191914.png

1650622162125.png
Interesting and looks like you've identified the source.

There is some hand finishing to roofs (with a hammer) - video on Macan / Cayenne manufacture - believe it or not! Perhaps yours was one (not all need it).

OP
OP
batteredhaddock

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting and looks like you've identified the source.

There is some hand finishing to roofs (with a hammer) - video on Macan / Cayenne manufacture - believe it or not! Perhaps yours was one (not all need it).
Ahh, so we've also found out where this chap worked prior to Love and Thunder.....

Porsche Taycan Lasted 9 days (Panoramic roof) 1650624017525

Gary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 718S Range Rover Vogue Ordered CT4T
Country flag
My CT turbo which I collected end of March, and have barley used it as been away for most of the time has done just 780 miles and I noticed on Saturday a crack all the way across the roof.

Porsche Taycan Lasted 9 days (Panoramic roof) 96C8E904-AA8D-44EE-94FF-061550C0FBF1

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
My CT turbo which I collected end of March, and have barley used it as been away for most of the time has done just 780 miles and I noticed on Saturday a crack all the way across the roof.

96C8E904-AA8D-44EE-94FF-061550C0FBF1.jpeg
Ouch, that's not a good sign!

Artman

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
YIKES! I have the SeaSucker Monkey Bars waiting for the arrival of my CT (without rails). This thread gives me great pause!

Gary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks, no not a good sight at all !!

And I have the Acoustically insulated laminated privacy glass, which is suppose to be stronger?
Also for info have Alloy roof rails

Waiting to hear back from Porsche.

MrBlueSky

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag

96C8E904-AA8D-44EE-94FF-061550C0FBF1.jpeg
Not good at all and the crack seems to be in a similar location to the OP’s as well? Maybe worth looking at his posts as it looked like he found the potential cause.

OP
OP
batteredhaddock

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not good at all and the crack seems to be in a similar location to the OP’s as well? Maybe worth looking at his posts as it looked like he found the potential cause.
Interesting, looks uncannily similar. Mine was collected beginning of April so wonder if there may have been a bad batch, or Gary’s Turbo was also assembled by Günther Götterdammerung on his time of the month…

I believe mine should still be in for the new roof under warranty next week (23rd May), need to check that the part has arrived.

Good news is that it is definitely only the interior laminate. The exterior has just been water tested for 10 days in Glasgow and the Highlands where it primarily pished it down….No issues. Also, despite 1400 miles since the crack appeared there is no change 👍.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks, no not a good sight at all !!

And I have the Acoustically insulated laminated privacy glass, which is suppose to be stronger?
Also for info have Alloy roof rails

Waiting to hear back from Porsche.
The pano roof is made of the same materials regardless of whether you have optioned the acoustically insulated glass or not (to my knowledge) as this is limited to front windshield and side windows.

Either a bad batch or a structural issue perhaps.

Gary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well been to Porsche, they have inspected and approved warranty claim.
They have ordered a replacement and looking to hopefully fit by the end of the month.
fingers crossed.
I still have the car.
Thanks for letting me know it can withstand the weather system.

OP
OP
batteredhaddock

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well been to Porsche, they have inspected and approved warranty claim.
They have ordered a replacement and looking to hopefully fit by the end of the month.
fingers crossed.
I still have the car.
Thanks for letting me know it can withstand the weather system.
Great news, I’ll let you know how mine goes if they do do it next week. Parts were on back order for me so its been a while, hopefully a new batch will have been made and you’ll get yours faster.

I’ll be asking for a root cause analysis.

Larkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Exactly same just happened to me. 4S cross Turismo delivered in April. Dealer told me to call Porsche recovery who have towed it to dealer as they didn’t know if roof was sound. Dealer claiming they can see mark on outside (I can’t) so it’s damage not warranty. Makes no sense to me and sounds like I’m going to be into a warranty v insurance battle not to mention the lead times. Nightmare
Porsche Taycan Lasted 9 days (Panoramic roof) 4E77E20A-BBB6-44D2-8619-B71960FEBF00

Porsche Taycan Lasted 9 days (Panoramic roof) 023A22F2-18E5-4FE1-995E-C13E02DA68C1

OP
OP
batteredhaddock

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Exactly same just happened to me. 4S cross Turismo delivered in April. Dealer told me to call Porsche recovery who have towed it to dealer as they didn’t know if roof was sound. Dealer claiming they can see mark on outside (I can’t) so it’s damage not warranty. Makes no sense to me and sounds like I’m going to be into a warranty v insurance battle not to mention the lead times. Nightmare
4E77E20A-BBB6-44D2-8619-B71960FEBF00.jpeg

023A22F2-18E5-4FE1-995E-C13E02DA68C1.jpeg
Definitely nothing exterior to mine and crack clearly initiated around the rear left roof bar. Do you have similar bumps to mine by any of the roof bar fittings (mine are only noticeable at the rear moutings, more so on the side the crack started on.

Given we now seem to have 3 cars built around the same time with a similar build issue. Can’t believe they are blaming you, if something had hit the roof hard enough to somehow crack then inner layer of laminate you’d be seeing something very visible on the upper layer.

Gary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Looks very similar to mine. You cannot see the crack looking at the roof from outside the car.
porsche have accepted liability and ordered a replacement, which was due to be fixed next week but this has been delayed as they don’t have the part,so has been pushed back a month.

As you say, you are going to have to push Porsche warranty and no doubt get your insurance company to do the same in respect of liability, as I am sure they will not wish to have to pay out on this.
Sponsored