W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
@obxckw There is a prior post or two by @W1NGE that answers your question in detail, but I am unable to locate it.
ANA6 will do the full PCM update depending on MY just as WNJ8 will do on others. More detail and clarification came earlier in the week.
Sponsored

obxckw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks everyone- I just answered my own question. I have forever been complaining about the center/passenger consoles spinning and got the 'recall' notice this past week for ANA6. The dealer wasn't sure if ANA6 was the new update or not.

After about 6 hours of service at the dealer, it was upgraded/fixed. And YES- the ANA6 update is the new PCM update as well. It's confusing how they label it a recall vs. update in the app. Oh well- hopeful it resolves the issues I've had.

There are noticeable changes as you all know- I'll be happy if it just resolved the center/passenger console issues. Let's see.

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
Just got the ANA8 update and all my icons are colourful. I was told I was the first to get it in Vancouver at my dealership.

websterama

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S on order
Country flag
Well I’ll have to enjoy your reviews vicariously for a bit longer. Scheduled my service appointment a few weeks back for this Thursday. Dropped it off at 8am. Service manager told me “what we’re hearing is this update takes a while, so plan to leave the car here for 2 days”. No problem I say, and take an Uber home.

Fast forward to Friday at 4:45 (Today) when I get a call from the same manager saying “the updates aren’t taking on 3 of the Taycan’s we have in the shop, including yours. And unfortunately we don’t do this kind of work over the weekend, so we’ll need your car through end of day Monday” No loaner, just an offer to let me take my car home and reschedule. UGH. So of course I let them keep it, didn’t want to get further back in the queue.

How can it be, that 2 full days were not enough? Or that if they’re this confused by this and getting backed up, they don’t pull some extra shifts over the weekend?

I’m a relatively patient man, but since my other car is a Tesla, I know how software updates in cars are supposed to work (mostly, as I certainly agree there have been some UX regressions). But my Tesla also cost 1/3 what my 2021 4S cost.

Ok, rant over, Just super annoyed.

• Sad
Reactions: B61
OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I’m a relatively patient man, but since my other car is a Tesla, I know how software updates in cars are supposed to work
I hear you man. This is nuts.
The good news is after this one I think we can get proper OTA updates.

At least that is my hope!

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
The best was when they decided it wasn't a bug because it was too hard to fix 🤪
that german phrase in the search bar is only a very basic symptom of how many of these PCM bugs root caused:

the car want's to sync something with the back end and fails.
This can be either car being in no LTE reception area like underground garage or Porsches Backend is struggling, both is very likely.
And there is no healthy cache strategy how to deal with this situation, retry, reconnect, use cached data etc.

I really pray they will have that improved with VR19.1 as I am not really looking for Spotify or colors but for stability.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
This can be either car being in no LTE reception area like underground garage or Porsches Backend is struggling, both is very likely.
From Porsche's description of the localisation issue – it sounds like its a timing bug.

I feel – though I have no concrete proof – that there is another very common timing bug on Taycan, where the COMMBOX (communications box) boots too late (or too early) but either way isn't available to route packets from the PCM to the external network via the LTE interface.

This can be one of the problems when the car appears to be offline but is showing LTE on the PCM screen, is in a high signal strength area but acts as if its disconnected.

Frequently Porsche Centres react to this by replacing the COMMBOX but you get the impression that is unnecessary as its not a hardware issue – its a wake up timing issue.

I'm really hoping stuff like this is resolved or at least improved with this new release.

The PCM codebase appears very "happy path" with – as you say – little or no resilience to things not going perfectly. It has not been battle hardened – especially to real-world network conditions and latency.

When they are developing for the PCM its connected by a hard-wired ethernet on their tables. It's going to take a while before the various negative code-paths are improved.

If we see general reliability improvements in the latest release – at least we'll know that they are on the case.

Porsche Taycan Latest Taycan Software Update Findings and Reviews Thread Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 09.35.32

Porsche Taycan Latest Taycan Software Update Findings and Reviews Thread Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 09.35.53

Porsche Taycan Latest Taycan Software Update Findings and Reviews Thread Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 09.36.06

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag

Lupin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Got my 2020 4S back a couple of days ago and all seems great with the new PCM. Porsche Reading did the upgrade and a service, in 36 hours. Range this morning is showing at 278 miles, which amongst the best I have ever seen.
Access from the App seems more reliable and Profiles are working again (for me Profiles stopped working after the last software fix last year)
Very happy overall

Adam33

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I figured I'd start a fresh thread for us to share findings on the new software.

So far things I've noticed:
  • Apple Music sparks right up and works a lot more reliably. This is -without- the wifi hotspot feature, which expired for me and I didn't renew.
  • Apple Podcasts are also substantially more reliable. There were specific shows that the old version flatly refused to play; they now work well.
  • The park assist beeptone is slightly different now.
  • I checked out the charger search and filtered to 100kWh+ - found an EVSlow charger in Murphy TX that I didn't know existed.
Things I haven't yet checked, but I expect probably work now:
  • Does dynamic lighting now work with SiriusXM and Carplay?
  • Are trip "calculation thresholds" increased? Can I set a trip from Frisco TX to Flagstaff now and have it work rather than time out?
So far the overall responsiveness and fixes are making me quite happy indeed.
Darek, what dealership did you go to for the update? Plano, grapevine, Dallas? I need to schedule an appointment but want to make sure I pick one who has done the update before.

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
From Porsche's description of the localisation issue – it sounds like its a timing bug.

I feel – though I have no concrete proof – that there is another very common timing bug on Taycan, where the COMMBOX (communications box) boots too late (or too early) but either way isn't available to route packets from the PCM to the external network via the LTE interface.

This can be one of the problems when the car appears to be offline but is showing LTE on the PCM screen, is in a high signal strength area but acts as if its disconnected.

Frequently Porsche Centres react to this by replacing the COMMBOX but you get the impression that is unnecessary as its not a hardware issue – its a wake up timing issue.

I'm really hoping stuff like this is resolved or at least improved with this new release.

The PCM codebase appears very "happy path" with – as you say – little or no resilience to things not going perfectly. It has not been battle hardened – especially to real-world network conditions and latency.

When they are developing for the PCM its connected by a hard-wired ethernet on their tables. It's going to take a while before the various negative code-paths are improved.

If we see general reliability improvements in the latest release – at least we'll know that they are on the case.

Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 09.35.32.png

Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 09.35.53.png

Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 09.36.06.png
Yes. 100%. E.g. PCM allows guest login before an LTE connection is established and then shows a missing connection warning while the system has acquired a signal in the meantime.

Can't believe dev was never testing with SIM cards and fluctuating signals.