OzzieT

First Name
Oz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Since taking delivery of my new GTS at the end of June, I’ve had to add air to the left rear tyre a few times. I suspected I might have a leaky valve. Recently it has begun to get worse and today I did a 360 rotation to find the culprit. There is quite a bit of house construction going on in my street and my immediate thought is I picked it up driving past one of these sites.

With the photo enlarged, given it is screw positioned in the middle groove and it seems almost perfectly fitted, the conspiracy theorist in me is now starting to wonder whether this is a shameless act by an EV hater.

Anyone got experience on whether something like this is repairable, or am I up for a new tyre? Pirelli P Zero.

Porsche Taycan Leaking left rear tire IMG_2864
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
tire shop should fix it no problem - center of the tire not near the side walls- unless there is more damage than it appears - this is a simple/affordable repair with high degree of safe to use post repair.

get it fixed - move on - there should be no issue - worse case it's a new tire

CarmelTaycan

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GLE63. Taycan GTS ordered.
Country flag
Since taking delivery of my new GTS at the end of June, I’ve had to add air to the left rear tyre a few times. I suspected I might have a leaky valve. Recently it has begun to get worse and today I did a 360 rotation to find the culprit. There is quite a bit of house construction going on in my street and my immediate thought is I picked it up driving past one of these sites.

With the photo enlarged, given it is screw positioned in the middle groove and it seems almost perfectly fitted, the conspiracy theorist in me is now starting to wonder whether this is a shameless act by an EV hater.

Anyone got experience on whether something like this is repairable, or am I up for a new tyre? Pirelli P Zero.

IMG_2864.jpeg
A good tire shop will take the tire off the wheel, patch the hole from the inside, reinstall and balance. Easy peasy.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

IMG_2864.jpeg
Yeah as said above, that’s an easy repair.

I had a screw in the front left tyre a month into ownership. Unfortunately it was on the shoulder of the tyre, so unsafe and illegal to repair. New Pzero it was! Ouch

evn00b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S, '14 Lexus IS, '22 Hyundai Palisade
Country flag
As others have said, this is a super easy patch up and probably the cheapest repair you can do for your Taycan. I had a similar slow leak and didn’t need a new tire.

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCrossT.992 Turbo S.Audi S3 8Y, MG Midget
Country flag

IMG_2864.jpeg
It should be repairable.

enzo5000

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S CT, BMW E60 M5, BMW R1250GSA
Country flag

IMG_2864.jpeg
I carry a simple tire patch kit in my trunk. I've used it a couple of times on my motorcycles when out on the road. It will get you home in a pinch.

https://www.amazon.com/Slime-20492-Pressure-Gauge-Digital/dp/B003V9VZBK/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1VT35I5VFZJ5B&keywords=tire+patch+kit&qid=1699816729&sprefix=tire+patch+kit,aps,144&sr=8-5

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I carry a simple tire patch kit in my trunk. I've used it a couple of times on my motorcycles when out on the road. It will get you home in a pinch.
To add to this, if you have a screw like this with a slow leak, especially in the groove, it is probably better to switch on the pressure display, keep it topped up, and leave it alone until you can get to the tire shop. I've driven 100 miles with a screw in the tire. If you have a fast leak where the nail went in and out, for example, it is better to use something like that amazon plug kit rather than the Porsche-provided goo can. With the goo filling the tire, some tire shops won't do a patch, and say you will need a new tire. The plug can be a little tricky to push in, but it will save the tire and usually slow the leak down enough to get home or the tire shop. They will pull out the plug and do a proper patch from the inside.

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Has happened to me three times now in the last 2 years. First time was a screw exactly as per your picture. No less of pressure. Last two have been a bolt and a nail, both of which triggered low pressure and could be 'controlled' with top ups of air until I could have repaired.
Whilst there is a fair amount of construction in Sydney, these tyres seem to be magnetised! Have had to replace one due to tyre wall damage from a pothole as well.
Prior to this have maybe had a puncture every 3 years. Cannot really blame the car but in Sydney all the shops shut 13:00 on Saturday and that is it until Monday am. Also, cannot manually top up tyres with my old foot pump as pressures too high.

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Great recommendation - will order one now!
I usually nave nitrous fill as always had issues with low pressure but no puncture alarm on my old Panamera (P Zeros) which nitrous fixed.
In the Taycan (also P Zeros) every warning has been a truthful puncture. The repairs are OK, just a pain.

UKTIVO

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Think yourself lucky. Below are pictures taken of my wife’s Cayenne. Now this was expensive to fix. New rubber and wheel. Ouch. Don’t you just love Porsche.

Porsche Taycan Leaking left rear tire IMG_3109

Porsche Taycan Leaking left rear tire IMG_3108