whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
Leather - mostly because I find Porsche's pricing for wheel upgrades very high. $2.4k just to upgrade from 19s to the cheapest 20s, where both aren't even forged? For reference it's only $1k to upgrade a BMW 540i wheel from 19 to 20s. For $2.4k you can buy a set of custom flow-forged wheels that are probably lighter than the (most likely cast) factory 20s. The $4.7k for 21s starts to get into budget full-forged wheel prices (BC forged, etc.) Granted you'd have to buy tires, but if you sell the 19s as winter wheels to someone it'll be just about that price point of the OEM option

$4.7k to upgrade from basic interior to full leather is pricey, but more in-line with other manufacturers. For a 540i, upgrading from sensatec to leather is $2.5k, plus you'd need to spring for a leather dash option which isn't even possible in a 540i, but is a $1k option in an M550i. Given the amount of leather that seems to be included with a Taycan, I find it easier to stomach in theory

FWIW, I actually have neither on my CT4 build in order to stick to a budget of $105k. I'm planning to do aftermarket wheels on mine once I get it. If my budget increases by the time my spot on the waitlist arrives, full leather would be the first item I'd get since you can't retrofit it
Sponsored

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
As others have said, get the leather. You can always change the wheels later.
Agreed. Once you’ve owned a Porsche with the upgraded leather, it becomes very difficult to live without. I didnt know what I was missing until I did it. That being said, the std leather is acceptable and if this is your first Porsche, you might be ok to skip it.

Knowing what I know now, I can’t live without it. I was prepared to downgrade my wheels on my spec to make the leather happen. In the end, I was able to figure out a way to get both.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Wheels Wheels Wheels!! 100% of people see your wheels whereas probably 5% of people see your interior enough to know if its full or partial leather. Basic Taycan wheels are a no no
Leather leather leather. You only see your wheels for one minute or less walking to your car but see and feel the leather 100 % of the time when you sit in it.
And who cares what other people think about your car.
Although I must admit the standard 19 inch Taycan wheels don’t look good. The painted ones of the 4s look better.

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
Hi,

Like many of you I cannot spell the car with everything I want so need to make some choices. My idea is that since I can change the wheels I would rather speq the leather and "cheaper" aero sport wheels rather than not speq the leather and equip spyder design wheels...

Agree?
It is YOUR car. Yes, other people will look at it (nice wheels), and some may be lucky enough to get a ride in it (nice leather), but in the end it is YOUR car............and life is way way to short to fret over buying wheels versus leather, or vice versa. I say get both and drive the car with a smile on your face and not fretting about should I have purchased the wheels instead of the leather, or, the leather instead of the wheels.

Let's say the wheel upgrade is $2,400, or even $3,600..............On a $100,000+ car 2%-3% is a small price to pay for the enjoyment that you will get whenever you drive your car sitting on that fine leather and rolling along on those fine looking wheels!

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
my vote is for Olea first....as you can't really add this after the build. Second would be to chose your wheels based on what will be on for the winter and then when you have time/extra cash you can purchase the summer rims. You can always get some residual value back from selling wheels on the secondary market, where you can't really sell ow swap our your interior without it costing you more than what it is worth. just my $0.02.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Leather because a) you are spending your own time most enjoying your vehicle when you are driving it and therefore on the inside of the car, b) larger wheels look flashy but come at the expense of range, and c) if you would ever change your mind you can easily change your wheels later whereas that is rather difficult with leather.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
My new CT4s goes into production in the next couple of weeks. I went for a balance between wheels and leather. I went with leather interior up from the standard interior and did the 20" turbo non-aero wheel design.

I did not want to sacrifice range on road trips and went with 20"s, but did not want to settle on the standard interior either. I have the standard interior on my current 4s and have the Club leather in my '19 Cayenne e-hybrid, so the middle ground on the new rig will work fine.

GreenDay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4, Porsche Macan S
Country flag
Wheels. The seats and steering wheel are leather. Wheels have to be the fat 305+ ones with gold crest, for my taste.

If you don't care about changing wheels later, then go leather. But if it were me, I'd change them immediately.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Wheels Wheels Wheels!! 100% of people see your wheels whereas probably 5% of people see your interior enough to know if its full or partial leather. Basic Taycan wheels are a no no
Leather Leather Leather
100% of the time you are driving, you feel and see the leather. Only strangers see the wheels and you only see them when you enter the car.

As many mentioned, can always change wheels later.

I got the olea leather and the 19 inch. Then spent $10 buying carbon fiber wrap to mod the wheels and I like the look.

Of course only you can decide what you would like to see in your car.

HerrCooles

First Name
Herr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ice grey
Country flag
You can sit on the leather and feel it.
- But you can only look at wheels.

zzy45

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Took a quick look at OP’s thread history; OP probably works in marketing or event planning, great at creating controversial posts lol.

anyway, here is my vote+1 to leather.

there are so many great aftermarket wheels options, but it will be a big PITA during your ownership if you regret settling with the standard interior.

It is a no brainer really.

iten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
I think ultimately it is your own personal preference, but here are a few things you should consider:

-I personally think leather is a must for a car at this price point, however:
  • The fake leather is actually not too bad. I ordered leather because there was not too much pictures of the standard interior available at launch and I played it safe.
  • The real leather shows wear and tear much quicker than the synthetic ones
  • Not many people can tell the difference, unless you go for colors like red. Even then, not everyone can tell.
- Wheels are crucial to the overall look to this car....any of the standard 20"s just look awful in my opinion. The dealership in my region is extremely anal about customer changing wheels (aftermarket or OEM), and threaten to void warranty. I have the 20" Turbo and I just hate looking at my car from the side. If your dealer is cool with it, then just change it afterwards.

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
Tricky, as others have said it all comes down to what YOU value. When I had a 4S on order I did have the 20” and leather upgrades (then switched to Turbo with standard) but if I had to sacrifice one it would likely be the wheels. Why? You get better range and some more sidewall to stop you having to worry about those wheels so much (the curse of the alloy…). Then again I’ve not been mad into alloys for 20 years, if I could have afforded a Taycan in my 20s I’d likely have had the biggest alloys I could get over any seats at all….

For a counter point, if you aren’t used to all leather, go with the wheels. Why? My First Edition iPace luxuries spoilt me (standard all leather, pano, surround cameras, etc etc) so much I couldn’t not spec them in the Taycan, the downside of this is it really helped pump up what I was going to pay by a ?load…. Once you get used to them you’ll want them again.
Sponsored