Lectron NACS to CCS1 adapter

M3Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X2, Taycan 4S
Country flag
NACS to CCS Adapter can be used at a number Tesla Supercharger stations. I am looking to find an adapter and how to sign up for Tesla service for a Porsche. This would be my backup plan to Electrify America. I will be purchasing a 2023 Taycan 4S, CPO with <500 miles.
Porsche Taycan Lectron NACS to CCS1 adapter Screen Shot 2024-03-07 at 12.14.08 AM
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
NACS to CCS Adapter can be used at a number Tesla Supercharger stations. I am looking to find an adapter and how to sign up for Tesla service for a Porsche. This would be my backup plan to Electrify America.
Screen Shot 2024-03-07 at 12.14.08 AM.png
unless you own a Ford product - your vehicle is not yet authorized for access to the North American supercharger network - you'll have to wait until some point in 2025 (undetermined at this time) until VW/Audi/Porsche products are "authorized" for charging network access…

you can thank VW/Audi/Porsche for dragging their feet on "reading the room" - they will be one of the last automotive vendors in north america with access to the supercharger network…

Ford was "unlocked" last week…

GM is next up…

then other vendors

VW/Audi/Porsche are last…

here is VW/Audi/Porsche's official press release - we have to wait for access…

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en_US/...andard_in_future_electric_vehicles-34786.html

Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche and Scout Motors today announced planned implementation of the North American Charging Standard (NACS) for future products in the North American region, beginning in 2025. To enable existing customers with a Combined Charging System (CCS) charging port to access the Tesla Supercharger network—which would greatly expand charging provider choice—the brands are exploring adapter solutions for existing vehicles.
there is also some chance that existing VW/Audi/Porsche CCS1 vehicle may not be able to access the supercharger network given the lack of VW/Audi/Porsche's ability to update the factory firmware on existing vehicle's for the fastDC charging hardware on board - Only VW/Audi/Porsche know if this is true or false, and what would be required to support an adapter and so far they have made no definative annoucement about any requirements for an adapter - you can not at this time assume your CCS1 Porsche product will _EVER_ have supercharger access until VW/Audi/Porsche announce what is required…expect that sometime in 2025…

this is in contrast to other vendors that when announcing their North American supercharger plans committed in writing that adapters would function and be provided (in some cases for $0) to pre-existing owners/vehicles - VW/Audi/Porsche lacked a definitive commitment in their press release for existing vehicles - it's also known that they lack the ability to effectively update existing charging hardware in their vehicle's from various issues that have cropped up on their existing EV fleet vehicles - so adapter support for VW/Audi/Porsche products pre-2025 is not a foregone conclusion at this time, and their wording in their press release clearly reflects that. AGain in contrast to other vendor's definative/clear commitment to pre-existing vehicle's working with an adapter.

the most recent updates from actual attempts to use the Supercharger network with non-Ford products - spoiler it doesn't work and fails during vehicle authorization (as expected)…

bottom line: you'll have to wait until sometime in 2025, and there is no guarantee existing VW/Audi/Porsche (pre-2025 MY vehicles) will be supported. Those are the facts as we know them today - subject to change when new data is available.

anyone telling you different is either lying (or clueless which is more likely, not malicious but lacks insight into the complexity in this space - if they are smart they MUST say I don't know yet, we will have to wait and see what VW/Audi/Porsche say in 2025 about pre-existing vehicles) or get them to put it writing as a condition of the sale - betcha they won't do it.

continued conversation should most likely be done in this more active thread.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...itch-ccs1-at-least-the-physcial-design.16080/

Last edited:

DRR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2021 Model Y Performance
Country flag
I see you live in Virginia. If you plan on driving your Taycan through West Virginia good luck since there are no EA stations or any DC fast chargers in the whole state except for Tesla, which we cannot access until Porsche gets around to it in 2025. The Taycan is a great EV but not a good road trip car.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Porsche dropped the ball on this one. At some point we will get NACS adapter, but not necessarily guaranteed access to Tesla superchargers (EA is adopting NACS). Worse, even if gen1 Taycans get access to Tesla, which is not at all a given, a standard Taycan can only charge at 50KW max on 400V (which all current Tesla superchargers are). For the foreseeable future, Porsche EV owners can only look with envy at Tesla and Ford EV owners (and few other brands coming soon).

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
@M3Taycan, it looks like there is one Tesla Magic Dock in Delaware but none yet in Virginia, if I read the map properly. Tesla has been bringing more of these to market but its a very slow rollout.

Magic Docks are open to all users, unlike Superchargers for the time being.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@M3Taycan, it looks like there is one Tesla Magic Dock in Delaware but none yet in Virginia, if I read the map properly. Tesla has been bringing more of these to market but its a very slow rollout.

Magic Docks are open to all users, unlike Superchargers for the time being.
this is 100% correct - MagicDock equipped sites have different "authorization" rules (there is no authorization other than activation/billing via the Tesla.app) - most/all CCS1 vehicles can charge at MagicDock equipped Tesla Supercharger sites - currently 42 in North American - it's not clear if they will continue to grow (this is solely Tesla's call)…

you'll have to wait for "authorization" support in 2025 to be able to charge at non-MagicDock Supercharger sites.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
you'll have to wait for "authorization" support in 2025 to be able to charge at non-MagicDock Supercharger sites.
And all us 2020-24 owners are crossing our fingers that we will be able to use the Superchargers once opened to VAG 🙏

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche dropped the ball on this one. At some point we will get NACS adapter, but not necessarily guaranteed access to Tesla superchargers (EA is adopting NACS). Worse, even if gen1 Taycans get access to Tesla, which is not at all a given, a standard Taycan can only charge at 50KW max on 400V (which all current Tesla superchargers are). For the foreseeable future, Porsche EV owners can only look with envy at Tesla and Ford EV owners (and few other brands coming soon).
but you can charge at 150 kW if you optioned the $460 400V/150 kW booster at order time…

M3Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X2, Taycan 4S
Country flag
unless you own a Ford product - your vehicle is not yet authorized for access to the North American supercharger network - you'll have to wait until some point in 2025 (undetermined at this time) until VW/Audi/Porsche products are "authorized" for charging network access…

you can thank VW/Audi/Porsche for dragging their feet on "reading the room" - they will be one of the last automotive vendors in north america with access to the supercharger network…

Ford was "unlocked" last week…

GM is next up…

then other vendors

VW/Audi/Porsche are last…

here is VW/Audi/Porsche's official press release - we have to wait for access…

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en_US/...andard_in_future_electric_vehicles-34786.html

there is also some chance that existing VW/Audi/Porsche CCS1 vehicle may not be able to access the supercharger network given the lack of VW/Audi/Porsche's ability to update the factory firmware on existing vehicle's for the fastDC charging hardware on board - Only VW/Audi/Porsche know if this is true or false, and what would be required to support an adapter and so far they have made no definative annoucement about any requirements for an adapter - you can not at this time assume your CCS1 Porsche product will _EVER_ have supercharger access until VW/Audi/Porsche announce what is required…expect that sometime in 2025…

this is in contrast to other vendors that when announcing their North American supercharger plans committed in writing that adapters would function and be provided (in some cases for $0) to pre-existing owners/vehicles - VW/Audi/Porsche lacked a definitive commitment in their press release for existing vehicles - it's also known that they lack the ability to effectively update existing charging hardware in their vehicle's from various issues that have cropped up on their existing EV fleet vehicles - so adapter support for VW/Audi/Porsche products pre-2025 is not a foregone conclusion at this time, and their wording in their press release clearly reflects that. AGain in contrast to other vendor's definative/clear commitment to pre-existing vehicle's working with an adapter.

the most recent updates from actual attempts to use the Supercharger network with non-Ford products - spoiler it doesn't work and fails during vehicle authorization (as expected)…

bottom line: you'll have to wait until sometime in 2025, and there is no guarantee existing VW/Audi/Porsche (pre-2025 MY vehicles) will be supported. Those are the facts as we know them today - subject to change when new data is available.

anyone telling you different is either lying (or clueless which is more likely, not malicious but lacks insight into the complexity in this space - if they are smart they MUST say I don't know yet, we will have to wait and see what VW/Audi/Porsche say in 2025 about pre-existing vehicles) or get them to put it writing as a condition of the sale - betcha they won't do it.

continued conversation should most likely be done in this more active thread.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...itch-ccs1-at-least-the-physcial-design.16080/
Thank you! This is valuable information for now, since the using Tesla as a backup plan is out. Ok!

I will stick to Electicfy America/EVGo/ Chargpoint chargers that are more plentiful through major interstate highways :VA, MD, PA, OH. Yep ! If we were to travel through middle of West Virginia it has no EV chargers. Thanks for the valuable feedback!

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag

If I lived in the Pacific Northwest or California I would be way more excited about Rivian opening up their network than Tesla. They currently have 11 high speed chargers open in Oregon and Washington alone, and like 15 in California. They have one under construction in Seattle currently and another 5 in California. .

I would not trust Tesla farther than I can throw them for anything. They have slow played opening their network since their announcement saying they would open up their network to non-Tesla vehicles.

I did order a Lectron adapter for my Rivian, but that is a "just in case I am out of charging options" item to have. The last thing I am is jealous of any other EV owner who has access to the Tesla supercharging network. Between my Taycan and my Rivian, I successfully EV road trip around the US Midwest and West way more than the majority out there.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The last thing I am is jealous of any other EV owner who has access to the Tesla supercharging network. Between my Taycan and my Rivian, I successfully EV road trip around the US Midwest and West way more than the majority out there.
Access to Tesla network is obviously quite desired by a lot of Taycan owners, as evidenced by threads like this, and/or people ordering the NACS/CCS1 adapters (vs. just waiting for a free one to arrive and putting it away on a shelf in the garage next to PMC+). I manage to road trip with the Taycan, but I'd jump through some hoops to get access to the TSCN.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Access to Tesla network is obviously quite desired by a lot of Taycan owners, as evidenced by threads like this, and/or people ordering the NACS/CCS1 adapters (vs. just waiting for a free one to arrive and putting it away on a shelf in the garage next to PMC+). I manage to road trip with the Taycan, but I'd jump through some hoops to get access to the TSCN.

It's all good, you do you. Between Electrify America, the Rivian charging network, State of Colorado chargers, and the slowly expanding Travel Centers of America locations, I can get to everywhere I want to go.

Just the thought of giving any of my money to Elon Musk makes me want to vomit.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
[...] Just the thought of giving any of my money to Elon Musk makes me want to vomit.
Same here.
Although just the thought of spending any more time at EA gives me a headache plus generalized feelings of frustration and rage.

Reactions: DRR

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's all good, you do you. Between Electrify America, the Rivian charging network, State of Colorado chargers, and the slowly expanding Travel Centers of America locations, I can get to everywhere I want to go.

Just the thought of giving any of my money to Elon Musk makes me want to vomit.
If the rest of the networks provide what’s needed at a lower price, nobody will use the SC access. So you can blame the EA’s of the world, or the governments which claim to be funding the charging infrastructure, for driving business to Elon. US federal government has greater resources than Tesla, so you’d think their results should be greater too.

Side note, if it wasn’t for Elon, you would not be driving a Taycan today, or a Rivian.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
This is a very good point that I think often gets overlooked. There's a difference between having a NACS port (or adapter) and having access to Tesla's supercharging network. Just having an adapter isn't sufficient for Tesla supercharger access since the latter requires Tesla to grant access.
Sponsored