London Roads Width Restriction - Rims Damage

911GP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Volcano Grey
Country flag
I have the same wheels as you and have had exactly the same issue. I am going to use the 360 degree cameras next time even if takes a while to get through. Fortunately my damage is really minor so I can live with it for now.
Sponsored

Rogertaycan4S

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sounds like you live near me in south west London, a nightmare, however careful you are you cant see the kerb stones, going through those chicanes, which are often damaged and sticking, out. I keep London diamond alloy rim repairers and painters in business, need them done every 3 months or so.

nycebo

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes E450 Wagon
Country flag
Hey guys. As a new worlder, I'm confused by this. Are the lanes narrow because they are old, or does London purposely build new narrow roads for a particular reason, and what might that be?

Any chance of a photo? Dying to see this and don't know what to search for online. "South London narrow lane?"

Sorry for your troubles. Such a PITA.

OP
OP
Xenophon Christodoulou
First Name
Xenophon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (MY21)
Country flag
Hey guys. As a new worlder, I'm confused by this. Are the lanes narrow because they are old, or does London purposely build new narrow roads for a particular reason, and what might that be?

Any chance of a photo? Dying to see this and don't know what to search for online. "South London narrow lane?"

Basically London’s Boroughs are run by a bunch of cunts who go to bed at night with nothing else on their minds but how to fuck up hard working people’s lives so that they feel a bit better about themselves because all they ever did in their lives was to get a job at the council and live a parasitic life!!! The width of London’s roads was absolutely fine! These idiots decided that if they narrow them they can block large vans going through or they think they can squeeze a cycle lane in at the expense of my wheels! I think you get the picture now! (And don’t let me start on needing permits to use roads through some of them that are only available for locals!!)

QA4A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4, Taycan (ordered)
Country flag

Entrances to certain roads are specifically made narrower to prevent large delivery trucks driving down those roads. Usually in residential areas. Normal width is 7 feet but some are smaller than they are supposed to be or at an angle instead of straight.

Porsche Taycan London Roads Width Restriction - Rims Damage 0_tudoravenue

OP
OP
Xenophon Christodoulou
First Name
Xenophon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (MY21)
Country flag
7’ restrictions are just about manageable! 6’6” ones block a number of family saloons and unreasonable! Especially when there is no prior warning and part of a one way system which make a driver commit an offence if they want to spare their wheels!!!

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
7’ restrictions are just about manageable! 6’6” ones block a number of family saloons and unreasonable! Especially when there is no prior warning and part of a one way system which make a driver commit an offence if they want to spare their wheels!!!
Man this is nuts - can't recall seeing anything this bad in Ireland but have been gone a long time and perhaps has been mimicked by now!

Claude Balls

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
My last 3 cars were Jag XKR, Jag SVR, and Aston DB11. I'm very careful where I park and use all the camera tools but I'm afraid at some time or other I've misjudged a kerb and kerbed one and on one occasion done both. Where you can always take the wheel and tyre insurance the dealer offers. Otherwise it's about £100 per wheel for diamond cut and repaint.

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
A road with width restrictions will always have a warning around 500 meters before the bollards. I usually see this and turn - no point. It seems the UK is the only place we have such fucked up road systems. I agree the bollards are a joke.

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
Road narrowing schemes in London seem to multiply to either make way for cycle lanes or prevent lorries driving through posh neighbourhoods! The favoured width of these is 6’6” which seems to match the Taycan’s width perfectly minus an inch or two! Net effect after two such unfortunate encounters in South London is two ruined rims! ???! Anyone else similar experience? How do we stop them? Most of these spring up after you commit to a one way system and there is no going back!

D4F32B8F-9093-4205-8339-3C976C7387A0.jpeg
Ah man, I’d hoped the 20” wheels would have had enough sidewall to protect but clearly not. Only drive into London in a blue moon but thats a painful reminder to just get an Uber instead. Gutted for you

285kph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 BMW X5 - 2021 Taycan - 2022 BMW X5 45e
Country flag
So what do all the Lambos, McLarens etc do? Circle around Knightsbridge/Kensington forever?

Last edited:

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
So what do all the Lambos, McLarens etc do? Stay in Knightsbridge/Kensington forever?
Believe it or not, but Taycans are wider than typical Lambos or McLarens. A Taycan is 77-1/2" wide whereas a Lamborghini Gallardo is 74-3/4" and both the McLaren 720s and 570s are 76" wide.

Lobbus

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s Mini Cooper S EGolf
Country flag
This highlights the problem pretty well!!
I have driven through this width barrier 100s of times. The problem is not the barrier its bad drivers!
Sponsored