Minimum extras spend to accept an order?!

OP
OP
Jiggins

Jiggins

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Green Mini Cooper SE, Jet Black GTS ST
Country flag
Jiggins, just do it! You only live once and none of us are getting any younger.

It is an incredible car, something you will always look back on and smile. The Taycan is almost the Model T of the EV world and will be in the history books at the infancy of a new age in automobiles.

Just option the £7k and don't think more about it.

Just think of your enjoyment driving the thing, and the fortune you have to even be able to own one vs 99% of the population.

Fretting over £7k when you are already spending £110k ??

Terrible advice. I didn't get to £9K of extras because I was being tight. I spent a long time deciding what I wanted and what I felt was required for my enjoyment of the car.

To pay an extra £7K for the sake of it is just crazy.
Sponsored

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
Terrible advice. I didn't get to £9K of extras because I was being tight. I spent a long time deciding what I wanted and what I felt was required for my enjoyment of the car.

To pay an extra £7K for the sake of it is just crazy.
That was tongue in cheek.

And being brutally honest with you, £9k in options on the Taycan is bare bones. The lease company know without even looking at your spec. You probably know that as well.

It just about scrapes the most basic of 'must haves', with no personalisation nor additional interior comforts.

In this situation, I would seriously consider the eTron GT. Far better value, 7 month delivery time and about five options that I'm quite sure doesn't go beyond £10k.

There's not much else you can do where demand for these cars is so high, it's not really a suprise lease companies are prioritising higher value orders. It's business.

It's not difficult speccing up a Taycan to truly enjoy it. Full leather, sport chrono steering wheel, sport sound, auto dimming mirrors, cruise control, ambient lighting, 21" alloys, acoustic glass, matching floor mats.

Make it special.

Last edited:

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
It's getting like buying a Rolex then - where dealers will only consider you for a stainless steel model if you 'bundle' it with some high value / high profit unwanted jewellery.
£25k of diamond earrings and necklace to buy an £8k stainless steel watch.

Seems like the exact same business model to me.

Not surprising I suppose with such high demand for both and dealers unable to charge over list in the UK.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
Yes, interesting point. The lease company have now said they've found an alternate dealer who will accept the options as I have them so all very odd - but it does sound like it is a dealer pushing back on the order rather than the lease company looking to make for a more saleable car after lease.
I'm glad you were able to resolve this; the request from the first dealer to add more options was absurd. I would have been very PO'd if it had happened to me.

Enjoy your car when it arrives.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
And being brutally honest with you, £9k in options on the Taycan is bare bones. The lease company know without even looking at your spec. You probably know that as well.

It just about scrapes the most basic of 'must haves', with no personalisation nor additional interior comforts.
I don't agree with that for any Taycan, and certainly not on top of the standard kit of the GTS.
It's easy to rack up the options bill, but it's possible to get a great car for sensible (by Porsche standards :) ) money by judicious selection of options.
In fact, I imagine that one of the routes to a GTS starts from speccing a 4S and realising that, with particular configurations of the 4S, a similarly finished GTS becomes less of a step up in total price (and fares better at resale). Why would you then add even more options on a GTS? You may as well get a Turbo, then a Turbo S, then ooh look we're in for £160k?

OP
OP
Jiggins

Jiggins

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't agree with that for any Taycan, and certainly not on top of the standard kit of the GTS.
It's easy to rack up the options bill, but it's possible to get a great car for sensible (by Porsche standards :) ) money by judicious selection of options.
In fact, I imagine that one of the routes to a GTS starts from speccing a 4S and realising that, with particular configurations of the 4S, a similarly finished GTS becomes less of a step up in total price (and fares better at resale). Why would you then add even more options on a GTS? You may as well get a Turbo, then a Turbo S, then ooh look we're in for £160k?
Absolutely spot on. The same spec on a 4S comes out at over £22K of extras. And then you also don't get the GTS specific bits or the GTS motors, suspension tweak etc etc

For me the GTS is an easy choice.

OP
OP
Jiggins

Jiggins

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

In this situation, I would seriously consider the eTron GT. Far better value, 7 month delivery time and about five options that I'm quite sure doesn't go beyond £10k.

There's not much else you can do where demand for these cars is so high, it's not really a suprise lease companies are prioritising higher value orders. It's business.

It's not difficult speccing up a Taycan to truly enjoy it. Full leather, sport chrono steering wheel, sport sound, auto dimming mirrors, cruise control, ambient lighting, 21" alloys, acoustic glass, matching floor mats.

Make it special.
How do you know what I would like to add to make it special for me! I spent a very long time getting the spec for the GTS to be exactly what I wanted it to be.

Yes I'm not throwing money around like it grows on trees. Maybe that's what you like to do, but even if I'm getting into a £114K car that doesn't mean that I'll randomly scatter another 7K of options on it that I don't want or need just because some dealer wants me to.

Sounds like you're a prestige car salesmans dream.

Have you seen the standard spec for the GTS?

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
How do you know what I would like to add to make it special for me! I spent a very long time getting the spec for the GTS to be exactly what I wanted it to be.

Yes I'm not throwing money around like it grows on trees. Maybe that's what you like to do, but even if I'm getting into a £114K car that doesn't mean that I'll randomly scatter another 7K of options on it that I don't want or need just because some dealer wants me to.

Sounds like you're a prestige car salesmans dream.

Have you seen the standard spec for the GTS?
Fair points and I do agree. I find anything more than 18% of base price in options absurd, but then half of that sum is on cosmetics, the other on what improves the driving experience. One of those things can be easily dropped.

I'm aware of the standard spec and have seen, sat in and touched the standard GTS interior in an ST and a saloon. It's fine, if a bit uninspiring. I'm also not particularly keen on Race-Tex.

I'm purchasing through my company, which has tax and inflationary benefits, so my budget is a bit skewed. I'm not going silly with options though (£20k max) and like all of us, have deliberated to an embarrassing level and visited my dealer thrice to nail in a spec.

That said, I am also expecting a 10% price hike by the time I come to pay because of the commodity squeeze and rampant inflation. That might see me drop options or abandon purchase altogether.

I hope you get it sorted, and I can understand your frustration. It's a truly special vehicle, and it's with some absurdity I was test driving a GTS not even two weeks ago, and today am driving one of South Africa's most cost effective Toyota's... Which doesn't even have power steering ?

Jamesca

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5M
Country flag

Make it special.
This post is special. Honestly, not sure if you are on a wind up or not with your posts on this thread?!? If you are then you have got me hook line and sinker.

£9k of options on a GTS is not "bare bones" - if you think it is then IMO and to be brutally honest with you, you are off your rocker.

"Just about scrapes the most basic of 'must haves' with no personalisation nor additional interior comforts" - This is great! you have no idea what the OP has spec'd nor his own taste/opinion etc yet you come up with this beauty of a line.

Then you suggest a eTron GT as it has five options that don't go beyond £10k - i mean it does so thats wrong as well but what is the point here? "pick a car that with your limited measly pathetic £9k you can choose all the options"?

Final point - you say it isn't a surprise lease companies are prioritising higher value orders, have you read the OPs first post? it was the dealer who wouldn't take the order not the lease company.

Options should and always will be subjective, must have options on a car are wheels, chassis and a steering wheel. The rest comes down to individual needs and wants.

Great spec OP, hopefully new delays won't impact us all too much moving forward.

OP
OP
Jiggins

Jiggins

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This post is special. Honestly, not sure if you are on a wind up or not with your posts on this thread?!? If you are then you have got me hook line and sinker.

£9k of options on a GTS is not "bare bones" - if you think it is then IMO and to be brutally honest with you, you are off your rocker.

"Just about scrapes the most basic of 'must haves' with no personalisation nor additional interior comforts" - This is great! you have no idea what the OP has spec'd nor his own taste/opinion etc yet you come up with this beauty of a line.

Then you suggest a eTron GT as it has five options that don't go beyond £10k - i mean it does so thats wrong as well but what is the point here? "pick a car that with your limited measly pathetic £9k you can choose all the options"?

Final point - you say it isn't a surprise lease companies are prioritising higher value orders, have you read the OPs first post? it was the dealer who wouldn't take the order not the lease company.

Options should and always will be subjective, must have options on a car are wheels, chassis and a steering wheel. The rest comes down to individual needs and wants.

Great spec OP, hopefully new delays won't impact us all too much moving forward.
Spot on, couldn't have said it better myself!

Thanks and yes hoping the delays are not too long for those of us waiting.

pauloamore

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan C4SCT
Country flag
I ordered with an OPC. A zero option car, that I specced before lock. And then turned it over to the lease company just prior to delivery. Perhaps do that?
Sponsored