My First Public Charge @ Electrify America (EA) - Massive Fail!

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
@Scandinavian
"Since Volkswagen itself warned urgently in November of an “impending charging gap,” patience at the company headquarters in Wolfsburg is apparently finite: Diess is said to have said in front of the managers, “we will invest there ourselves if necessary.” Discussions about a VW stand-alone venture took place earlier before the decision was made favouring the joint venture after all, albeit still under the leadership of Diess’ predecessor Matthias Müller.

Reports of the group’s plans to create an exclusive fast-charging network independent of Ionity surfaced last summer. In January, another report said that Audi, Porsche and Ionity had already agreed on a joint fast-charging network “that would promptly pamper discerning customers with additional services such as a charging guarantee and with convenience features such as wireless conductive charging.”

According to Manager Magazin, nothing has been decided yet. Audi and Porsche are apparently pushing ahead with their own plans. They are dividing up the project internally, while one company is taking care of the city centres that have been neglected by Ionity so far. The other is looking after the longer-distance roads. This is likely to focus heavily on the brands’ premium aspirations, which Manager Magazin claims Ionity is failing to meet. “Ionity has little to do with premium,” the magazine writes, quoting an anonymous person in managerial circles. The plan is for 200 of its own stations in Germany, Austria and Switzerland are to be combined with a mixture of “gastronomy and car dealers” to create “small brands”."

It was as recent as january that they openly admitted they did not like Ionity :D
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
@kreshi , hmm yes that looks good for Germany, Austria and Switzerland??

And there would be easy wins if they just installed them at their own dealers, VW, Audi, and Porsche! But I do not see any sign of that.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Yeah sadly not much has happened. I know they built a huge fastcharging park at their Leipzig dealer/plant. I also know some Porsche dealers here in Switzerland that have stations but slow ones and technically not for public use. No idea what their plan is but I hope they will get going. Many Taycans were sold and now they're selling the Base and Cross Tourismo.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Regarding the time it takes between announcing a build out plan for a site, construct it and to open it, we have a few slow ones in Europe with Ionity as well. I guess permits, getting enough electricity and storage etc just takes time.
Yes, the VW CEO recently gave IONITY an earful about why IONITY cannot reach its network expansion targets.

Furthermore, I do not understand, why somebody would buy an EV without checking out how to charge it, including going on long trips, if required.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Interesting that they are thinking to build their own?
But will it happen? I am not sure, because they would have the same problem as IONITY has: Cut through all the local red tape to get it built.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
But will it happen? I am not sure, because they would have the same problem as IONITY has: Cut through all the local red tape to get it built.
Good question!

Ionity had a target of 400 stations by end of 2019. That then became 2020 and still not achieved. Today there are some 336 stations built and 39 planned. They had quite a nice progress towards the end of last year but have dropped the visible activity level this year. No wonder Diess gave them a bashing.

Travelling in Europe, when allowed again, should benefit of a number of other 150 kW + networks available though. I know of FastNed and Allego in Germany. Total in France have also expressed plans. And in Norway there are several networks, like Cirkle K, with charger at 150 kW +!

Can anyone in Europe in these countries verify that these networks are covered in the Porsche charging networks. Ie can you charge at these network for the Porsche rate of 0.33 euro cents per kWh? If they are not included then agreement with these networks would be a super fast win to get much better coverage in Europe. And less Expensive than building out your own network!

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
The Porsche rate is (as far as I know) ONLY for Ionity. I live in Switzerland and here we don't really have any good offers from charging providers. What I did was go to "ENBW Emobility+". It is by a south german energy provider. It costs 4,99€ a month and allows you to charge in Germany, France, Italy, Switzerland, Austria and the Netherlands - for 0.39€! Even Fastned 350kw chargers are included! *Edit: I think anyone living in Europe can subscribe to this*

The sad thing about Ionity is that they get money from all these huge car makers PLUS european countries and still do not deliver. Then on top of that they increased their price to 0.79€/kwh. This doesn't affect Taycan owners in the first 3 years but every other non Tesla EV owner. They got themselves into a huge shitstorm and it is not getting better.

I wonder how it is in NA but like @Scandinavian said here in europe I see more and more 150kw+ chargers. Even in little villages/tiny towns. So travelling long distance does not seem that scary. There are a bunch of european EV youtubers that frequently travel across europe in their non Tesla EVs and seem to do just fine.

Last edited:

Piper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Turbo S, 2018 BMW M5, 2012 Audi R8, 2012 Audi TTRS
Country flag
First charge. Proceed to a Electrify America location. Inserted the nozzle, opened the Charging app, found my location. Pushed "start charging". Nothing. Tried again. Nothing. Just kept coming back to the page where I am to select the charger. Hmmm. Taycan forum friends say to select another charger. I attempt to hang up the nozzle but the car won't release it. The charging light is off so I know it's not charging. Tried locking and unlocking car. Still no release. Heart rate increases as I start to realize my predicament. I remember there's a release in the door! I find the button but it is in such a tight position that I can't get my hand in a position to pull it out. Blood pressure rises as I contemplate how much I've paid for this car. A button I'm expected to pull out and Porsche has placed it in a position that is unreachable by more than one finger. Finally release it with one finger after a few minutes. It's attached to a string. I didn't expect that. But it works and the nozzle is released. Now the button remains hanging inside the door by the string and no obvious way to get the string back into the door frame. I manage to wedge the button back into it's hole with string hanging outside. Chargrined, string hanging in the door well, I drove home.
A day has passed and I'm ready to get back in the saddle. Someone tell me what I'm doing wrong. Actually, I'd be happy just to get the string back into the door. Thanks.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Someone tell me what I'm doing wrong. Actually, I'd be happy just to get the string back into the door. Thanks.
Sorry you got such a bad experience. For the release, I had a similar experience while on a roadtrip to Chicago. I was luckier, as after several power on/off cycles, end-charging on the charging station screen, and dancing around the car it did release.....

As for the manual release chord you can only have that fixed by the dealer - if I remember correctly it says something to that effect in the manual.

Last edited:

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Did you push the little white button in the charging port? That should release the plug.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Did you push the little white button in the charging port? That should release the plug.
it doesn't always release, especially if the car is locked.
some might claim user error

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
First charge. Proceed to a Electrify America location. Inserted the nozzle, opened the Charging app, found my location. Pushed "start charging". Nothing. Tried again. Nothing. Just kept coming back to the page where I am to select the charger. Hmmm. Taycan forum friends say to select another charger. I attempt to hang up the nozzle but the car won't release it. The charging light is off so I know it's not charging. Tried locking and unlocking car. Still no release. Heart rate increases as I start to realize my predicament. I remember there's a release in the door! I find the button but it is in such a tight position that I can't get my hand in a position to pull it out. Blood pressure rises as I contemplate how much I've paid for this car. A button I'm expected to pull out and Porsche has placed it in a position that is unreachable by more than one finger. Finally release it with one finger after a few minutes. It's attached to a string. I didn't expect that. But it works and the nozzle is released. Now the button remains hanging inside the door by the string and no obvious way to get the string back into the door frame. I manage to wedge the button back into it's hole with string hanging outside. Chargrined, string hanging in the door well, I drove home.
A day has passed and I'm ready to get back in the saddle. Someone tell me what I'm doing wrong. Actually, I'd be happy just to get the string back into the door. Thanks.

Piper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Turbo S, 2018 BMW M5, 2012 Audi R8, 2012 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Yes, at least once. But maybe not at the right time. Thanks. I need to read charging instructions again. With the current level of technology, it should be plug and charge. Trying to stay positive with Porsche level technology. A string to release a port cover that has to be taken back to the dealer if you use it? SMH.

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
For the string you must go to the dealer. There are several things you must try before pulling the string. First, make sure you have cancelled or finished your charge at the charger. Then make sure all your doors are unlocked. If this does not work, use the PCM, go to Charging menu and press the ... on the bottom right. Depending on model year you will see one or more options. The top one is a release of the charger plug. If all of this does not work, I would repeat before pulling the string and even call the service number on the charger. Hope you have a better luck from now on with this information.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
sorry to hear about your experience - I’ve found in the past time and persistence and making sure everything is “stopped” and unlocked will eventually release the charging plug- but yeah it sucks

regarding the pull release string - I’ve had an extensive discussion on this exact topic with my service manager - and he reviewed the service procedures - there is nothing that needs to be reset and the car does not need a service visit just because you invoked the pull string - you can feed it back in by hand and it will be fine for the next use...

porsche service does however recommend a service check after using the pull string - not to reset the string or the manual release mechanism (it’s not a one time use system requiring service tech reset) but rather the requirement to use the string to release a charge plug might be indicative of a problem with the charging port itself or vehicle charging hardware -but the manual release mechanism does not require dealer servicing once it’s been used, but it is a pain to reset - I agree.
Sponsored

Last edited: