Negotiating

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
Hello. In the next couple of days I plan to take the leap into the Porsche world for the first time. I've specced up a nice 4S Sport Turismo with lots of options and am just mulling over whether to go used or new. There is a high-spec used 2022 one with <5000 miles priced at 15% below what it would cost today.

Question for the group if I may: what's the strategy with negotiating with SAs in the Porsche world? Is there anything I should explore - eg for the used one, some added value they could throw in?

Would welcome views from those are more experienced at this game than I am. Thanks.
Sponsored

Tighlines

First Name
Klint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 panamera turbo, 2023 taycan CT 4S
Country flag
I think it varies from dealer to dealer. The dealer you are working with may be wheeling to deal or they may not. There is only one way to find out...
You prob already know the market in your area for similar cars, if you think it's soft then get aggressive on the price.

Reactions: B61

NLister18

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
B9.5 Audi RS5 Sportback
Country flag
I actually just wrapped up a negotiation today. It was the third or fourth dealer I had spoken to since February. Most had viable options with different pros and cons to each potential purchase. What helped me was that I stayed patient and never acted out of desperation. I ended up putting a deposit on a CPO 2020 Turbo S that I plan to buy next week. What I would do specifically is target vehicles that have been on the market for > 60 days as they’ll be more likely to play ball.
Best of luck.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
I think you've got Bob Hope in the UK with a new one, other than a boot liner or wax or something (i.e. dealer supply rather than factory elements).

Second hand ones - no experience but residuals have apparently gone from holding very nicely to cratering over the last 6 months or so. Dealer stocks gone from not many, to quite a few. I guess it may depend if the dealership wants to release capital and take a hit/ get out flat or view there's enough demand to maintain a dealer premium. Whatever, I certainly wouldn't pay what they have it in the showroom for.

OP
OP

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
That is helpful, thanks. If it does turn out the price is “reasonable“, are there some goodies that dealers can be persuaded to include? What would you typically ask for?

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
You would want to think twice before accepting any of the dealer offers (pre-paid maintenance, tire or wheel replacement/protection, etc etc). I was offered about 5 of these programs as I was doing the paperwork. I don't think any of them are a good deal although other owners may differ with me. I know several don't trust themselves to avoid curbing the rims so they considered the wheel replacement program worth it.

OP
OP

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
So … I put the full spec of my chosen car into the configurator and got the current UK price, and calculate that the second-hand price quoted by the dealer is 15% below this. For a 1-year-old car, <5000 miles, 15% seems a bit small. Is this typical for Taycan prices or should I push harder?

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
You would want to think twice before accepting any of the dealer offers (pre-paid maintenance, tire or wheel replacement/protection, etc etc). I was offered about 5 of these programs as I was doing the paperwork. I don't think any of them are a good deal although other owners may differ with me. I know several don't trust themselves to avoid curbing the rims so they considered the wheel replacement program worth it.
I actually got 2 nails on the edge of 2 tires in 2 consecutive weeks which were not repairable. That was $1200 so I’m already 1/2 way to break even already. I more than made my money back on the 911 with 20” rims after 4 tires and one rim. I also got a loaner while waiting for the tire and rim to come in as well. So, to me, this insurance was a no brainer especially with 21” rims.

Fozzwoody

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Carrera 4s Convertible, BMW 520d
Country flag
I've been on the waiting list for 7 months for a 4 Cross Turismo. Just had an allocation, so presumably September or October delivery.
So, in the mean time, the same thought process had gone through my mind, having seen the recent reduction in second hand prices. I have just bought a March 2022, 7k miles Taycan RWD , standard battery, for around 21% less than its new, specced up price would be.
My dilemma is now whether to pass on the option of my new CT, and either get my deposit back or shift it onto an electric Macan (when they're launched, ) or PX my 2WD and go for the new one, accepting that it may lose 20% in 12 months...

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I've been on the waiting list for 7 months for a 4 Cross Turismo. Just had an allocation, so presumably September or October delivery.
So, in the mean time, the same thought process had gone through my mind, having seen the recent reduction in second hand prices. I have just bought a March 2022, 7k miles Taycan RWD , standard battery, for around 21% less than its new, specced up price would be.
My dilemma is now whether to pass on the option of my new CT, and either get my deposit back or shift it onto an electric Macan (when they're launched, ) or PX my 2WD and go for the new one, accepting that it may lose 20% in 12 months...

See how you get on with the RWD and then you can decide. Have you locked in the build (i.e. past point of getting deposit back) ?

Rob70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, Cayenne S, Taycan GTS due March
Country flag
Had an interesting chat with a sales guy at Porsche yesterday, claimed some new Taycans losing up to £5k per month on residual, even contemplating discounting new ones, referenced the fact that a GTS ST sat with no current buyer.
Go chase a deal!!

NLister18

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
B9.5 Audi RS5 Sportback
Country flag
Had an interesting chat with a sales guy at Porsche yesterday, claimed some new Taycans losing up to £5k per month on residual, even contemplating discounting new ones, referenced the fact that a GTS ST sat with no current buyer.
Go chase a deal!!
I’m not as familiar with new Taycan inventory as I preferred to spec my own when buying new. However, I’ve monitored the CPO/used market for quite some time now and there are some very good deals to be had. Cars that were $160k+ 6 months ago are still sitting and are now being offered for around $120-130k. It’s a buyer’s market IMO.

Fsudoles

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
I actually got 2 nails on the edge of 2 tires in 2 consecutive weeks which were not repairable. That was $1200 so I’m already 1/2 way to break even already. I more than made my money back on the 911 with 20” rims after 4 tires and one rim. I also got a loaner while waiting for the tire and rim to come in as well. So, to me, this insurance was a no brainer especially with 21” rims.
Kevin,

I curb rashed one of my rims, so this will be my first time using my tire/rim protection plan. Are the rims typically in stock or do you need to wait a while? The damage is purely cosmetic so I can definitely wait. Lastly, if I buy new tires during the coverage period, do I need to buy them from Porsche to keep the warranty valid? I was hoping to never use this, so I didn’t ask enough questions. I have an email into my SA as well…but if you see this, let me know if you have a second.

Tom
Sponsored