wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Dock door open at all times, 40 amps entire charge. Are you saying the connection from the 4 gauge to the receptacle may be a poor connection or a poor connection somewhere else? And forgot to say the temp at the 4 gauge out of the wall into the receptacle was 104*, if that means anything. Thanks again
ok. That makes more sense. Closing the dock door will raise all the temperatures.
Your #4-gauge wire connection to the receptacle seems perfect.
The Porsche plug may have a poor internal connection or the contact with the receptacle may be poor. That would explain why the Porsche input wire is so much cooler.
Your system seems robust at this point but the Porsche input plug/cable is not optimum.
Would be good to know the temperatures after running two hours at 40 amps with the dock door closed.
Sponsored

KenU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list
Country flag
Ok, shall due and let you know. The plug itself is very tight into the receptacle so it could be the internals of the plug itself, as you mentioned. Thanks

KenU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list
Country flag
For the 91F ambient temperature, I'd consider the temps all in the nominal range of operation for the cable. It's under 100C, so I wouldn't be worried.
Thank you!!

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
temps are well under 100C and the Cable itself is rated for 105C - there is no safety issue here electrically - but the cable will clearly reach uncomfortable temps for handling shortly after use.

I remain disappointed.

KenU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list
Country flag
temps are well under 100C and the Cable itself is rated for 105C - there is no safety issue here electrically - but the cable will clearly reach uncomfortable temps for handling shortly after use.

I remain disappointed.
As do I David!!

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag
So in case you were wondering...... Many of your charging components can trace their lineage back to the 918 Spyder! I pulled down the latest PET for my 73 911S and noticed that Porsche has posted the 918 Spyder PET on the Porsche Classic site. For fun, I pulled it down, and lo and behold, the charger and many of the power cables are specifically derived from the 918 Sypder. Our Nema 14-50 power whip is shown as 7PP-971-676-AC (p. 331) in the 918 Spyder PET! Our power whip is 7PP-971-676-ED.

Now the interesting thing here is that the Porsche Charger for the 918 Spyder is the same charger as the 7.2kW chargers for the e-Hybrid cars. Would anyone care to take a guess where our ill-fated power whip on our Taycans came from???? Perhaps the 918 Spyder parts bin?

And the same numbers hold true for the J1772 cable that runs from the charger to the car. The only difference is the leading prefix on our cables is now 9Y0 instead of 7PP for the 918.

The accountants have bitten us again!!!!!!

Toby

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@Toby Pennycuff this is great information - and I"m completely unsurprised…

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
So in case you were wondering...... Many of your charging components can trace their lineage back to the 918 Spyder! I pulled down the latest PET for my 73 911S and noticed that Porsche has posted the 918 Spyder PET on the Porsche Classic site. For fun, I pulled it down, and lo and behold, the charger and many of the power cables are specifically derived from the 918 Sypder. Our Nema 14-50 power whip is shown as 7PP-971-676-AC (p. 331) in the 918 Spyder PET! Our power whip is 7PP-971-676-ED.

Now the interesting thing here is that the Porsche Charger for the 918 Spyder is the same charger as the 7.2kW chargers for the e-Hybrid cars. Would anyone care to take a guess where our ill-fated power whip on our Taycans came from???? Perhaps the 918 Spyder parts bin?

And the same numbers hold true for the J1772 cable that runs from the charger to the car. The only difference is the leading prefix on our cables is now 9Y0 instead of 7PP for the

The accountants have bitten us again!!!!!!

Toby
It is not the exact same part. The one for the e-hybrids will not fit the Taycan PMCC. I ordered the 14-50 supply cable post delivery. The cable that you mentioned came in and it turned out it was for the Panamera e-hybrid and would not fit because the fitting into the PMCC for the Taycan is different.

KenU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list
Country flag
It is not the exact same part. The one for the e-hybrids will not fit the Taycan PMCC. I ordered the 14-50 supply cable post delivery. The cable that you mentioned came in and it turned out it was for the Panamera e-hybrid and would not fit because the fitting into the PMCC for the Taycan is different.
Correct! Happened to me, as well.

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag

Yes, you are correct in that it is not the exact same cable. However, I would not be surprised if someone (outside of the Engineering team) at Porsche decided for cost reasons to employ a very similar part.

Agreed that the connections into the chargers are different - I have not ever had an opportunity to dig into the older e-Hybrid chargers and associated cabling. My only point in my original post was the fact that there is a DIRECT lineage to the e-Hybrid parts that were used in the 918 Spyder. I do not know if those same parts were used on the Cayenne e-Hybrid or the Panamera e-Hybrid. I do know that the PET files are available for both of those models, so it will be interesting to go back and look at them and see.

And since the Cayenne was the first e-Hybrid on the market (I believe I am correct here), then the lineage would actually go through the 918 Spyder AND the Panamera e-Hybrids all the way back to the much-maligned Cayenne (of which I have had four - S, Turbo, GTS and Diesel).

Toby

KenU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list
Country flag
My charger/cable temps:
40 amp = 156/125
30 amp = 125/96
Garage temp was 98

ChargingTemps.jpg
Yup, that's about right on the 40A. Just don't squeeze the cable above the plug by the label unless you want red marks on the inside of your hand! ;)
My charger/cable temps:
40 amp = 156/125
30 amp = 125/96
Garage temp was 98

ChargingTemps.jpg

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18