New build critique

caslca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TTS
Country flag
Here's 3months of sweating over the configurator: http://www.porsche-code.com/PNLPQVC8

I have ~30days left till freeze. The intent is to keep the car for ~8yrs until Gen2.2 is out. It will be my DD and we do have. a family SUV for other duties. Buying at MSRP for those interested...

My thoughts on a few things:
Color: I went in person to see all of my favorites - jet black, mamba green, chalk, white, frozen blue, neptune blue. Wanted something on the light side (currently have a DarkBlueMetallic 997.2 turbo ). Settled on chalk as it is really a way more interesting version of white.
Wheels: did not like the '21 missionE wheels standard in person on any other color other than white.
B-pillars: They now have the option to have the lower part in racetex(from the black plastic standard). I have alcantara around the trunk area in my BMW X7 and it doesn't scuff well. I didn't want to risk it so plastic it is.
Blue electric accents: I liked those in person - i think they add a nice electric vibe to the car
Leather console/rear-seat storage tray: I guess i had to draw the line somewhere. I think I'll be fine with the standard ones
Racetex wrapped center console: This wraps the sides of the center console, going all the way around to the back. This option now seems to be only available if you choose racetex interior.

Thanks for reading!
Sponsored

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Looks solid.

My only criticism is with Porsche in that a 210k vehicle looks identical to entry level Taycan costing less than half as much.

Are there any other car companies that have such staggering price differences across a single vehicle?

OP
OP
caslca

caslca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TTS
Country flag
Looks solid.

My only criticism is with Porsche in that a 210k vehicle looks identical to entry level Taycan costing less than half as much.

Are there any other car companies that have such staggering price differences across a single vehicle?
True.
Porsche has never been a flashy car though and this is why I've had one for the past 7yrs. I absolutely appreciate the stealthy extravagance which I get to enjoy without attracting attention.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
True.
Porsche has never been a flashy car though and this is why I've had one for the past 7yrs. I absolutely appreciate the stealthy extravagance which I get to enjoy without attracting attention.

I guess it depends on the model. I can definitely tell the difference in a GT3 or Turbo 911 to a base 911, although I guess to 99% of people on the road it's all the same thing.

Not a bad thing in any circumstance. All gorgeous vehicles.

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Looks solid.

I think of it the other way around - it's nice that the entry level $100k car looks as good as the top of the line $200k model - all beautiful cars!

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Chalk is great and my second choice. (I have white)

Reactions: B61

frankchn

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 TTS, Taycan TTS
Country flag

I think it is common amongst the German manufacturers. A 530i starts at $54k, and an M5 competition starts at $111k, and a 740i starts at $87k, and a M760i starts at almost $160k.

armanslr

First Name
Arman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2022 Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
Nice build!

Why are you going with Porsche Crest on head rest and model designation on center console?

Turbo S is already included on the headrest, perhaps go with the Crest on the console and skip the head rest option.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
I think it is common amongst the German manufacturers. A 530i starts at $54k, and an M5 competition starts at $111k, and a 740i starts at $87k, and a M760i starts at almost $160k.

True, but I can also easily distinguish an M badged BMW or AMG Benz. Even in the 911 range it's easy to spot the big dogs.

ljump12

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3
Country flag
Build looks great.

I wonder did you consider Ice gray? I think it’s a better version of off-white than chalk. Chalk tends to look beige at night which I didn’t love. Color is very personal though.

OP
OP
caslca

caslca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TTS
Country flag
Nice build!

Why are you going with Porsche Crest on head rest and model designation on center console?

Turbo S is already included on the headrest, perhaps go with the Crest on the console and skip the head rest option.
Well, I really like the crest on the seats. The “turbo s” script doesn’t do it for me. The center will just say “taycan”. I actually wanted another crest there but my family vetoed :)

OP
OP
caslca

caslca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TTS
Country flag
Build looks great.

I wonder did you consider Ice gray? I think it’s a better version of off-white than chalk. Chalk tends to look beige at night which I didn’t love. Color is very personal though.
I did like the ice in some videos, but in others it gives me a bit of an appliance vibe. Actually, initially I was debating the mamba green vs Neptune blue, but after watching any video I could find, the chalk rose to the top overall. I’ve seen it in overcast/ gloomy weather and it looked grayscale. In any case, the idea was to give it a meaner look with the blackout wheels so I think that works.
Btw, this is the video that really sold the look to me :
Sponsored